• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Memories of fishing -
I know we have some fishermen here and, though I won't say I'm a fisherman(or woman if we need to go that way) I grew up fishing with my dad. Sometimes we'd fish from our canoe on lakes in Michigan, but mostly we went spear fishing in the winter. I spent some good times with my dad in a shanty on the lake waiting for a pike to come by.

Why do I bring this up now? Because I saw this story and I know its the grandpa( @48North )of one of our members and it made me smile while it brought back memories of me fishing with my dad.
Found: A lifetime of fishing memories.

I'd like to read some stories of your fondest fishing memories.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
WP_20160624_006.jpg
WP_20160624_008.jpg

My 12 year old LOVES to fish. This was last week of June near Hanging Rock State Park..

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I can remember my dad putting minnows on for me ice fishing when I was 4 or 5 years old. Taking the ski-doo out to the hut.. Gad those moments are so valuable. None of the rest of my fishing moments matters. I miss my dad. :(

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wish I could fish all the time with my daughter, but we live pretty far apart and she's busy with her life. But check out this beauty (deliberately ambiguous):
0E692809-92E7-48DD-84FD-C8503B2A9353_zpsw3euph7g.jpg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I like fishing, especially in the spring aprés ski.

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's some nostalgia I recommend to anyone. When I was 10, I saved up $9.95 ($76 in today's money) and bought a blue Garcia Conolon rod and I spent hours chasing local bass and bluegill. I would have loved a fly rod, but could not afford it.

It turns out all those old rods can be found on ebay. I recently picked up a replacement to my old rod, and well as the fly rod I always wanted, 40 years old and unused.

conolon3.JPG
conolon1.jpg

The original rod? I used it for 12 years and finally broke it on a monster trout. In graduate school, we would supplement our starvation stipend ($2300 a year for a half time teaching geology) by hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to catch rainbows. A 10 fish limit could weigh 40 lbs, and while it was a long hike to the rim, we were young and hungry.

canyontrout.JPG

I

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Newfy, that rainbow would be a hoot on your Tenkara wouldn't it?

Here's some nostalgia I recommend to anyone. When I was 10, I saved up $9.95 ($76 in today's money) and bought a blue Garcia Conolon rod and I spent hours chasing local bass and bluegill. I would have loved a fly rod, but could not afford it.

It turns out all those old rods can be found on ebay. I recently picked up a replacement to my old rod, and well as the fly rod I always wanted, 40 years old and unused.

View attachment 14369 View attachment 14370

The original rod? I used it for 12 years and finally broke it on a monster trout. In graduate school, we would supplement our starvation stipend ($2300 a year for a half time teaching geology) by hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon to catch rainbows. A 10 fish limit could weigh 40 lbs, and while it was a long hike to the rim, we were young and hungry.

View attachment 14371

I

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They are making them for carp---They call them "Tencarpa rods". My trout rods would not last a second on that fish.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
My father was a master of many things, but fishing wasn't one of them (because he was never interested). My maternal grandmother taught my brother and I to fish. We had a home on a lake in central indiana and she rarely missed an opportunity to be there with us.

We hooked lunker bullhead cats simultaneously from opposite ends of the boat once and got stung filleting them (she also taught me to clean and cook em). But the clearest memory I have is of waiting for her on the dock one morning when I was around 10 years old. She was running late and I was getting annoyed. "You're wasting light" she would have said if it had been the other way around. When she showed up, she had a piece of toast for me--her reason for running late. She gave it to me and returned to house to try to get my brother moving. I took out my retainer, put it in my back pocket and proceeded to eat the toast. Got bored waiting and sat down to think about tackle for that morning. Snap! the retainer broke. Uh oh. When explaining to my mother later, I said it was grandma's fault for making me the toast. "You little shit, see if I take you fishing again . . . " she snapped. She did. But I don't recall her ever bringing me anything to eat again :).

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I have fished off and on for years. Good memories with both father and father-in-law. Both have passed to early.

Have taken the kids a little. The best/worst story I have is taken my middle daughter at 12, walleye fishing. She caught her first walleye and when I went to net it, the fish went right through the net. Apparently mice liked the net that winter. She was not happy.

This year at 19 she has been fishing some in the U.P. at college. When she came back, we went shore fishing. She caught all the keepers. :)

Sponsor

Staff online