• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My girls try to humor their father once a year at small stream fly fishing... This is last year. I think on the upper North Yuba River (between Sierra City and Downieville, CA).

IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0274.JPG

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
Trolling with my buddy bob the seafood purveyor off the Marin headlands/GGB.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Out on my uncles boat off Jupiter Fl Fishing for swordfish and mahi-mahi. Pretty sweet 70 footer! You can see the camera next to my uncles head that records video feed of the swordfish action.
image.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have fished off and on for years. Good memories with both father and father-in-law. Both have passed to early.

Have taken the kids a little. The best/worst story I have is taken my middle daughter at 12, walleye fishing. She caught her first walleye and when I went to net it, the fish went right through the net. Apparently mice liked the net that winter. She was not happy.

This year at 19 she has been fishing some in the U.P. at college. When she came back, we went shore fishing. She caught all the keepers. :)
The only thing better than taking your daughter fishing is taking her skiing.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Trolling with my buddy bob the seafood purveyor off the Marin headlands/GGB. View attachment 47559 View attachment 47558 View attachment 47557

Out on my uncles boat off Jupiter Fl Fishing for swordfish and mahi-mahi. Pretty sweet 70 footer! You can see the camera next to my uncles head that records video feed of the swordfish action. View attachment 47560
You can hardly not catch fish off of Jupiter Inlet, that place has everything swimming by in abundance. Looks like your uncle is working the edge of the Gulf Stream, nice rig.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I grew up in Jupiter. My best friends dad was Cal Marles who owned Captain Cal's Cove which became Captain Paul's and is now the Square Grouper Bar. Up in the rafters of the Grouper are our names from when we put the last rafters in when be built the building in the 70's.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
When in Chile, do not order Chilean Sea Bass

It took 1-1/2 hours to clear immigration and customs, then to exchange a bit of cash, then hire a taxi. But, I made it in the nick of time. By 5 PM at Mercado Central, stalls selling fresh fish are shutting down. So are the restaurants. No Chilean Sea Bass seen anywhere, not at the stalls, not at the restaurants. Merluza (Hake) can be found in abundance at either, but not Merluza Negra. What the heck?

I haven’t had lunch. So, I settle in at El Galleon, whose restaurant in Mercado Central has shut down. But, they walk me down a ways, along the market, to their street-side restaurant, which is open. Here I am, having enjoying a delightful dinner. And, while doing so, I look up Chilean Sea Bass in Santiago. To my chagrin, it’s not served in Chile,

https://homeresource.com/blogs/news/when-in-chile-do-not-order-chilean-sea-bass

For dinner, I start with a reineta ceviche, a fish that is “endemic”, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brama_australis, which, to me, means what the locals enjoy. I forgot to take a photo, but here,

https://www.gourmet.cl/recetas/ceviche-de-reineta/

After, I have oysters on half shell. That was a mistake. Very, very salty oysters. Surprising though, when presented. Small. Looked like I was served clams.

For a main course, I decide on sole, concato style, which according to Kraft

https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/recipe/110665/red-snapper-cancato-style-chorizo-tomato-salsa

is whole grilled fish with a chorizo tomato salsa. What I got instead was a casserole of sole, shrimp, scallops, crab, and oysters with melted cheese, albeit not Kraft cheese. I’m going to assume I got the real cancato style.

View attachment 81033

One taste of the crab convinced me that, next time, I have to order crab.

Here are the goods at one stall,

View attachment 81035

and some beautiful corvina, sea bass that real Chileans consume,

View attachment 81036

the dorado looks awesome too.

Now that the Chilean Sea Bass thing has been put to rest, time to find out what real Chilean cuisine is.

https://www.trekkingchile.com/en/chile-info/chilean-cuisine/dishes/

I am now on the look out for dried horse meat, abalone, and chicken-in-mud.
Here you go @karlo, corvina caught in California, many moons ago.
IMG_20191022_124027650.jpg
IMG_20191022_124002979.jpg
@Eleeski knows where this is.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Had it been a Chilean Sea Bass, I would have loved to see a candid photo of you. You might not have still be in the dinghy :)

12A56770-FE01-4DA2-B925-333E55252EA3.jpeg

Nice catch though! Beautiful.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Golden Trout caught in Kings Canyon National Park backcountry:

golden_pan.jpg

And what our trout meals usually look like after pan cooking on the Whisperlite:

goldens_evo3.jpg

Thread reminds me I need to cook the last big salmon steak still in the fridge that I caught months ago on the upper Sacramento. Just might do that tomorrow for lunch..

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Sigh. No fishing in California now. Covid19. Who knew fish are a vector?

I haven't seen a Salton Sea corvina in decades. Good memories though.

When I fished, it took two tractors, one on each levee, to drag the net. Fish farming was interesting.

Eric
Those pics were taken at the old Niland Marina, but my favorite place was the old Navy pier. I last caught one in '03, believed to be extirpated by '05.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta love those Hobies @Tony Storaro ! I’ve gone through a few different ones over the past 20 years. What species of fish are they in your last photo? Looks like what we call Atlantic Bonito but I’m not seeing teeth.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Gotta love those Hobies @Tony Storaro ! I’ve gone through a few different ones over the past 20 years. What species of fish are they in your last photo? Looks like what we call Atlantic Bonito but I’m not seeing teeth.

I agree that Hobies are the best, nothing beats the Mirage Drive.
And for me, all things considered the Outback is the best fishing yak ever.

Those are exactly Atlantic bonitos (Sarda sarda). Caught on slow jig.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They look great, do you eat all you catch?

Tilapia from the Salton Sea taste great. The salts and chemicals infused in the flesh enhance the flavor.

Seriously, be careful of the fish from the Salton Sea. They have high levels of selenium. Very bad for people wanting kids. Sold in health stores to make old people healthier. Not really conflicting data but certainly know what group you are in.

Know the issues with your local fish. Farmed fish rock (and are monitored)!

Eric

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They look great, do you eat all you catch?

Depends. Normally I take only dentexes and groupers as they are great eat. Baracudas, amberjacks etc I usually release despite the fact that in Greece it is considered among fishermen that releasing a good size fish is an insult to Poseidion who sent it as a gift to you.. :ogbiggrin: :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online