• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
@martyg: Man.....let's just say that my initial reaction was to create 100 fake accounts just so I can give you more likes.

That's proper, proper, PROPAH stuff! That's a dream material right there!
Well done! Very well done indeed!

Would it be too much if I asked you to post some pics of DA FISHES? Them taimens are a joy to behold.

This is a very typical Taimen. Mongolia rivers are very nutrient poor. They can ice up in September so the growing season is very short. The big meter long + monsters are few and far between. You might see one. Catching one is very different.

They behave somewhere between a Silver Salmon and a Northern Pike.

DSC_2815-Version-3-1024x834.jpg

If you want monster fish on a fly rod you are better off with salmon or tuna. Tuna off the WA coast weigh about 60 pounds, and swim at 60 mph. Pictured below is a spring run King, or Springer.

My shitty day 3.JPG

This is an ad campaign that Exo ran from one of my trips in Mongolia.

Enjoy.

Exo ad.jpg

Last edited:

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool stuff @martyg :golfclap:. Figuring out new fisheries always really got my blood flowing. Curious on the tuna that you target off of WA. Small bluefin? How are you fishing them? In the late 90s/early 2000s I messed around with tuna on the fly a bit on the East Coast. Mainly went after yellowfin in the 40 to 60 pound range and it involved chumming and drifting large flies back into the slick and retrieving them. Not pure fly fishing that’s for sure using 15+ weight rods. . All long boat rides for overnight trips to the canyons so not something we did too often. We tried inshore bluefin but never had any success with fly rods.

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Had a great 4July weekend, went to my buddies in SC and social distanced like crazy. The fish pic stats. 25 inches long and 9 inches top to bottom, for reference the wood of the net is 17 inches. Caught it with my 7' 6" 4wt with 4 x tippet using a small popper for brim.

Attachments

• 20200705_070936.jpg
    20200705_070936.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200705_083217.jpg
    20200705_083217.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 26

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Had a great 4July weekend, went to my buddies in SC and social distanced like crazy. The fish pic stats. 25 inches long and 9 inches top to bottom, for reference the wood of the net is 17 inches. Caught it with my 7' 6" 4wt with 4 x tippet using a small popper for brim.
Nice catch!!!

Uncle-A

Skier
I was hootin and hollerin….pulled the little rowboat I was in into a complete circle.
Did you get it on a scale to find out what it weighed? You might have a record fish.

Uncle-A

Skier
no scale :( but pretty sure it's not a record. I've caught bigger bass but not in SC and the record in SC is 16+ lbs. Mine might have been 9
Wow the record is 16+ lbs that must have been some fish. You said you have caught bigger fish than this one, what is your personal best bass?

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Wow the record is 16+ lbs that must have been some fish. You said you have caught bigger fish than this one, what is your personal best bass?
I'm gonna say probably 12 lbs or so. The wife's family are cattle ranchers in Central FL and there are some huge bass down there. I'm not much of a pond fisherman but I'm learning. You know the old saying. "even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally".

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
It could have been a tippet class record, if you wanted to go through all the verification bs.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Daughter is in the Wind Rivers. Not a fisherperson. But sent me this picture.
(How the hell do you rotate the pic???? I tried everything).

1596398647863.png

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Daughter is in the Wind Rivers. Not a fisherperson. But sent me this picture.
(How the hell do you rotate the pic???? I tried everything).

View attachment 107306
Nice Brook. You rotate before upload. But Android and Windows mechanisms are a little different, but exist. Can't speak to Apple devices.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice Brook. You rotate before upload. But Android and Windows mechanisms are a little different, but exist. Can't speak to Apple devices.
Was vertical in the original. Shows as vertical in my photos. Shows as vertical in my email. But when I upload here, it magically rotates to the side view.
??????

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was vertical in the original. Shows as vertical in my photos. Shows as vertical in my email. But when I upload here, it magically rotates to the side view.
??????
I use the preview feature of the editor before posting to check orientation. On my Android mobile devices "vertical" is portrait, instead of my expected "landscape". Go figure.

Uncle-A

Skier
I had to put this here because I would not put it in the Joke thread.
1600367021082.png

Sponsor

Staff online