• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fishing

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Yeah, if that's a brookie, its dad was a lake trout.

Negative. It is on a estancia that was planted with Labrador brookies some decades ago. I have guided in Patagonia for a few decades, and am not aware of a lake trout fishery in the region. Certainly not in this lake.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
That’s a BIG fish!

It’s a huge brook trout. The rainbows and browns out of this lake are something to behold.

IMG_1320.jpeg

doc

Out on the slopes
Skier
While I'm certain @martyg knows his fish very well, with that size, coloration and overslung underjaw, it looks like a muskie and a brookie got together for a bit of procreation fun.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
While I'm certain @martyg knows his fish very well, with that size, coloration and overslung underjaw, it looks like a muskie and a brookie got together for a bit of procreation fun.
That was maybe a 6 pound brookie. A 9 pound fish was caught the week before by one of my Argentine colleagues, which is truly staggering.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Negative. It is on a estancia that was planted with Labrador brookies some decades ago. I have guided in Patagonia for a few decades, and am not aware of a lake trout fishery in the region. Certainly not in this lake.
I had some fishing buddies that used to do annual trips to labrador and quebec to fish for Brookies and the size of those fish were nuts. What throws me off is the coloring compared to the tiny native ones I’ve caught in PA and NY.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I had some fishing buddies that used to do annual trips to labrador and quebec to fish for Brookies and the size of those fish were nuts. What throws me off is the coloring compared to the tiny native ones I’ve caught in PA and NY.
Do you have recollection on when you caught brookies by you? That fish in the pic is mid spring down here. Not much color until the first week of March down here. By April they are amazing.

mikes781

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have recollection on when you caught brookies by you? That fish in the pic is mid spring down here. Not much color until the first week of March down here. By April they are amazing.
It’s been years since I’ve been trout fishing but it was likely late summer and fall and colored up. Spring was always brown and rainbow trout. They are amazing looking fish.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
It looks like a big hen brookie to me, notice the halo spots on the body and vermiculations along the dorsal.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider

Lagos Dos. About an hour and a half south of Esquel, Argentina.

Below is a 28” rainbow taken on the same day. Most places in this region either have large brookies, or large ‘bows and browns. This is one of the few fisheries that consistently produces large specimens of all 3 species.

Lagos Dos fishes similarly to the fabled Jurassic Lake, but the weather doesn’t suck as much, and there are a staggering number of fisheries nearby.

IMG_1323.jpeg

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Lagos Dos. About an hour and a half south of Esquel, Argentina.

Below is a 28” rainbow taken on the same day. Most places in this region either have large brookies, or large ‘bows and browns. This is one of the few fisheries that consistently produces large specimens of all 3 species.

Lagos Dos fishes similarly to the fabled Jurassic Lake, but the weather doesn’t suck as much, and there are a staggering number of fisheries nearby.

View attachment 220480 View attachment 220481
Pretty cool stuff. We get a 24 out of the Andro up in Maine now and then. Nothing much bigger than that yet and the browns are tough to get. The smallmouth downstream are the real action in a canoe.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Argentina. I have been taking guiding gigs and working with lodges down in Patagonia - on either side of the border - for maybe 30+ years. I like Argentinian better. Better weather. Better food. Taking the winter off from skiing. Switched hemispheres.

This slab is from the Limay Medio last week - may favorite river down here. They have a migratory run of large browns. flows are 14,000 - 85,000cfs. Tail water fishery. Flows determined by air conditioner use in BA.

This is about the average brown. More than a few times people have had been spooled, and left standing there wondering what happened. Wondering what the monster that they hooked looked like. Rainbows consistently run 20 - 25". Browns up to 20 pounds.

Enjoy.

IMG_1563.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online