• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer WC RC4 SC

CharlieSki

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm thinking about getting a pair of RC4 SC (2016 model) but I'm hesitating between 160cm and 165cm. I'm 5'7", 158 and fairly in shape. I had a pair of Nordica SLR in 165cm that I didn't like because of their lack of pop, no fun factor for me. For that reason, I really liked my Atomic Redster Edge SL but since they're not around anymore I thought I would try something else. Unfortunately demoing both sizes is not an option and I read that this year's model is a bit different than previous years. Anyone has feedback on them in terms of reactivity and playfulness in relation to length for a guy my size?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For your size, I would say the 160 if you want them for their intended purpose....short turns and many of them in rapid succession.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
For your size, I would say the 160 if you want them for their intended purpose....short turns and many of them in rapid succession.

Yes, assuming you want them to have fun/develop skills in short turns, m I would agree. If you wanted them for more all mountain/every day/western hills I would consider the 165

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you like the pop, why not just go for the FIS SL skis (assuming you have other skis for soft conditions)?

I'm thinking about getting a pair of RC4 SC (2016 model) but I'm hesitating between 160cm and 165cm. I'm 5'7", 158 and fairly in shape. I had a pair of Nordica SLR in 165cm that I didn't like because of their lack of pop, no fun factor for me. For that reason, I really liked my Atomic Redster Edge SL but since they're not around anymore I thought I would try something else. Unfortunately demoing both sizes is not an option and I read that this year's model is a bit different than previous years. Anyone has feedback on them in terms of reactivity and playfulness in relation to length for a guy my size?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Good choice. :ogcool: I would go for the 13 m 165 cm model. That way if you abuse the ski and ski it faster than it was designed to be skied, you won't be too badly ill-equipped.
If it hasn't got enough pop for you, you're skiing to slowly! :D
At your weight the SC has all the stiffness you need.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm almost exactly your size and have the RC4 Superior SC in 165. The Superior SC is a bit lower in performance (and has a bit more versatility) compared to the WC SC, but I don't find it long at all. Just another data point for you to consider.

TS
C

CharlieSki

Skier
Thanks for your good advice. I know I would have a blast playing around on the 160. My concern is can I have the added stability of the 165 and still have fun. I have other pairs for soft conditions but up here in Quebec hard and icy seems to have become the norm so they may well become my everyday skis.

TS
C

CharlieSki

Skier
Good choice. :ogcool: I would go for the 13 m 165 cm model. That way if you abuse the ski and ski it faster than it was designed to be skied, you won't be too badly ill-equipped.
If it hasn't got enough pop for you, you're skiing to slowly! :D
At your weight the SC has all the stiffness you need.
I'm sure they have all the stifness needed but I'm wondering if they will be too stiff for me for all day use. Like the other guy said I'm a dude but an old dude. Also my boots are Lange RX100, no blue boots for me ☺. So what do you think SC a good option for a 160lbs old guy?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Anyone have any idea what year these Fischers are? The person is selling them for his son who used them in college. I'm sure they are older but don't know so anyone have a guess or otherwise know Fischers really well!!

s-l1600.jpg

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
@surfsnowgirl
I think they are a 2004-2005 or 2005-2006 model year.

Interesting link from the design firm that Fischer hired: http://www.spiritdesign.com/en/work/clients-roster/fischer

The skis you're looking at look like they are complete toast (skied in the east... likely tuned A LOT)... the Marker 1400's are border line worthless as a binding... but there is value in the plates. I wouldn't pay more than $50 shipped... if you or someone you know is considering buying them.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl
I think they are a 2004-2005 or 2005-2006 model year.

Interesting link from the design firm that Fischer hired: http://www.spiritdesign.com/en/work/clients-roster/fischer

The skis you're looking at look like they are complete toast (skied in the east... likely tuned A LOT)... the Marker 1400's are border line worthless as a binding... but there is value in the plates. I wouldn't pay more than $50 shipped... if you or someone you know is considering buying them.

Thanks. I'll pass it on. I figured they were pretty old but I knew others would know more than me. Thanks to @HeluvaSkier and @François Pugh

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Is anyone still selling stick-on rubber in the 1/2" widths for SL topsheets?

Try Tognar or SVST maybe? If-not, a bead of silicone caulk does the trick. I haven't seen top sheets chip badly in a long time though... seems manufacturers have improved the top sheet quality, or perhaps how it is bonded.

TS
C

CharlieSki

Skier
I'm 56 and they are fine for me. I ski them all day. If you're older, maybe you can resist the temptation to ski them too fast.
Sweet, sweet ride! I'm really glad I got the 165, they can do pretty much anything. Do you know what the factory tune is on them? The seller said 2 for the side edge and 1 for the base but I read somewhere Fischer had a 3-1 tune on their performance skis. Thanks again for the advice.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Sweet, sweet ride! I'm really glad I got the 165, they can do pretty much anything. Do you know what the factory tune is on them? The seller said 2 for the side edge and 1 for the base but I read somewhere Fischer had a 3-1 tune on their performance skis. Thanks again for the advice.
I was told 1 base, 3 side. I sharpened the sides at 3 until they were way overdue for a base grind, and then got them reset to 0.5 base three side. Being used to a 0.5 base 2 side on my previous skis, I found the 1 degree base too much, but not so bad that I couldn't live with it for a while.

Most folk would not like a 0.5 base on these.

Sponsor

Staff online