• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer vacuum boot half a size too big

mft

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi, I just upgrade from a recreational boot to a more serious Fischer RC4 curv 140 vacuum full fit. I bought the last year version online at a good price. My foot measurement is exact 26.0cm, and I got a 26.5 boot since they only have half size. When I stand upright my toe is touching the front of the boot, and the linear fits snug to my feet, but when I flex it I feel the linear and the plastic piece below the linear are moving back inside the boot, is this normal? I talked to the online store, and they say do a vacuum fit at local store will solve the issue. Fortunately my local store would provide this service at a cost. Should I go ahead and do the vacuum fitting or I need to change it to a 25.5 boot? Will a custom footbed solve the issue. Here’s the picture of my foor measurement and shell fit.
Also I read on some european dealer website, there’s usually a half size adjuster come with the boot, does fischer boots sold in US come with that also?

B1119002-B302-406E-8A14-605F9142C2B5.jpeg 888B7F75-32D5-4BCC-9191-7C371F986F42.jpeg 784D54E4-F3C9-4F6D-ABF2-7271B1E687F1.jpeg FBD47EB3-C6E2-4AC6-A6E8-D151330759DF.jpeg CFC4140B-F84E-4A21-8D32-543FBF1E38B0.jpeg 5ADFD893-5C5E-466E-87B8-CFBE8075F78C.png

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
So the fact that the boot came with a "size adjuster" should clue you in to the fact that half-sizes don't exist in ski boots. So if you are going to go down it will be a full size. The way I see it, you have a couple of choices, go ski it or go to the boot fitter. Toe touches the front and pulls away when I flex sounds like a pretty good fit (at least for length).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome to PugSki @mft ... the usual advice around here is to go to a bootfitter, and not try to buy online or do it yourself. For most folks, a good bootfitter is the best way to ensure that you get a really good fit both for the length, AND width, AND for the shape and particulars of your foot. It's not quite like a tennis shoe where you usually just need the right size.

That said, many people don't get a great fit, but get a good enough fit and don't go to a bootfitter. It just tends to be pennywise and pound foolish if you do run into problems. For instance, since you bought online, a shop will charge for a vacuum fit, where it might have been included at the shop.

If you haven't, I'd suggest to look into how boots should fit. Do a shell check with the liner out, and check how things feel buckled up around your heel and when you move. Read through these pages:

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nothing comes for free regarding the shop charging to do the vacuum fit. You will be taking their time and equipment to do the vacuum process it is only fair you pay them. The shell fit doesn’t look too bad and it sounds like a decent comfort fit. A full size smaller shell is going to fit very different nobody can tell you if it will work. There is risk either way. The beauty of working with a local shop is they will make sure the boot fits you.

Reactions: mft
TS
M

mft

Skier
thanks guys for the input. My concern is the my foot fits perfect in the linear(it’s laced) but the linear moves in the shell. Is this the case for all vacuum boot before the actual vacuum fitting is performed? or is this because I put a 26.0 foot in the 26.5 boot, and the boot is simply too large for me. I actually want a race fit, I plan to do some racing in it. I understand the best way is to find a boot fitter, but my local shop in Indiana isn’t very knowledgeable about higher end boot. Moreover, their price is about 6 times the price I got the boot.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
thanks guys for the input. My concern is the my foot fits perfect in the linear(it’s laced) but the linear moves in the shell. Is this the case for all vacuum boot before the actual vacuum fitting is performed? or is this because I put a 26.0 foot in the 26.5 boot, and the boot is simply too large for me. I actually want a race fit, I plan to do some racing in it. I understand the best way is to find a boot fitter, but my local shop in Indiana isn’t very knowledgeable about higher end boot. Moreover, their price is about 6 times the price I got the boot.

Speaking from personal experience, the Vacuum process will not, I repeat not, get a shell that is too large by a size to fit properly. I skied many seasons in a Vacuum boot one size too large. The fitter thought it was a good fit and I didn't know enough to say otherwise. That shop doesn't get my business any more.

I'm in a properly fit Atomic now and all the issues I had with the Fischer are gone. A good bootfitter is invaluable and worth traveling for. I drove 2 1/2 hours to go to one and it was worth every second of that drive.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I ski in a Head Advant-Edge 125 which is a heat moldable shell and liner and I was told that the molding process tends give more room in the boot not less. This was exactly what I was looking for as I have a big volume foot.

I suspect that a Fischer vacuum would be similar to the above, but ask a Fischer boot fitter to know for sure.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
The Fischer Vacuum machine can reduce volume a bit. It can exert a fair amount of pressure and is often uncomfortable during the molding process due to that pressure. Just heating and buckling a boot won't reduce volume. I'm not a boot fitter but at the shop I work at that has some very highly regarded fitters, heat molding a boot for a customer who bought their boot elsewhere is not free.

Shops that sell boots but do not carry Fischer can't vacuum fit boots as the machine is only available from Fischer to their dealers. Non-Fischer boots can be vacuum fit but only at a Fischer dealer.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So the fact that the boot came with a "size adjuster" should clue you in to the fact that half-sizes don't exist in ski boots. So if you are going to go down it will be a full size. The way I see it, you have a couple of choices, go ski it or go to the boot fitter. Toe touches the front and pulls away when I flex sounds like a pretty good fit (at least for length).
I think with Fischer (and most brands) it is the other way around. The shell is a XX or XX.5 and the XX size has the size adjuster. That is to say you can buy, for example, a 26 and if you take out the adjuster, you'll have a 26.5. We only carry XX.5 sizes in Fischer boots (the same is true for Lange and Atomic) and the boot volume is adjusted by the fitting process including custom foot beds. Again, I am not a boot fitter, but I ask the boot fitters lots of questions.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I think with Fischer (and most brands) it is the other way around. The shell is a XX or XX.5 and the XX size has the size adjuster. That is to say you can buy, for example, a 26 and if you take out the adjuster, you'll have a 26.5. We only carry XX.5 sizes in Fischer boots (the same is true for Lange and Atomic) and the boot volume is adjusted by the fitting process including custom foot beds. Again, I am not a boot fitter, but I ask the boot fitters lots of questions.

Either way, he can't drop a half size.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I actually want a race fit, I plan to do some racing in it. I understand the best way is to find a boot fitter, but my local shop in Indiana isn’t very knowledgeable about higher end boot. Moreover, their price is about 6 times the price I got the boot.
If you want a race fit, you are not going to get it from this shell. Can you still return it, do they have the 25.5? Either way, the boot will need to be Vacuumed and there will be costs in that process. No, there is not a 26.0, it is the same shell as the 26.5 and the liner will also be the same. Sorry, it doesn't sound like you saved any money by buying this online. :(

moreoutdoorYuri

Getting on the lift
Skier
Central Coast, Ca. - Mammoth main squeeze! LOL!
there are many factors in getting your best 'fit' in any boot; important ones which have not been mentioned above.
2D measurement of a foot is not half the required info. 3D info allows the best decisions.
Get the basic 2D info from a Brannock or similar device (i'm saddened by the number of 'fitters' who don't have a Brannock or similar at their disposal). The Brannock has 2 important measurements besides foot length - width AND Arch Length. Arch Length is as important as width or overall length. Arch Length also often factors into Instep Height/Volume. Why Arch Length? Because where your arch falls within a boot (with liner IN) determines if it falls properly in the Boot forefoot/toebox design. Many boots taper dramatically from Ball O foot to the shell front, many boots offer no contour control of the forefoot.... Ball O Foot location is critical for many feet, often ignored since Arch Length is very rarely measured.
Instep Height and Volume are also critical, and are the most difficult to adjust a 'shell' design for. Very Important! Also mostly ignored by many shop staff charged with fitting a boot.
Here's a URL which starts addressing Volume - realize it is a commercial site - so some selling on tongue inserts...
Then there's heel width/volume, ankle structure/volume , lower leg volume...
Fitting all this in a hard shell boot needs consideration.
Some aspects rise to greater importance depending on the foot/leg.
Then properly stacking the leg -> ankle -> foot inside the boot is important, which often means bringing a foot bed (determined for your feet) for a boot fitting is important. Many footbeds change the foot orientation in the boot.
I'm not going into detail on all these factors, cause that's way more than is possible here, and shouldn't be dealt with online.
If you're really up to the task of skiing well in an RC 140, then you should also be aware and properly consider all these variables. Otherwise, get with a boot fitter who understands all these or is at least willing to consider, discuss them with you, as you make decisions.

TS
M

mft

Skier
I just measured there’s 20mm gap in the shell fit. Seems I need to reduce it to 10mm to get a race fit. I guess these boot need to go back to exchange to a 25.5 . I actually did used the Brannock device at local shop, fitter says my arch length is proportional to foot length, and width is C.
347236B6-B085-4590-93A6-65D12CF50B6A.jpeg