• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Ranger Free boots

KTN

Booting up
Skier
Are there any fitters on the East coast with this line up and experience fitting these boots?

11.5 shoe, 27.7 boot and 105 mm forefoot with slightly high instep and skinny lower leg. I tried a pair and I like the fit...just need a little more room up front to keep my toes warm...have a history of frost bite.

Thanks, Kevin

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I got a pair last winter. Inner Footworks in Stowe, VT did some punches for me. It was much easier than I thought it would be.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Are there any fitters on the East coast with this line up and experience fitting these boots?

11.5 shoe, 27.7 boot and 105 mm forefoot with slightly high instep and skinny lower leg. I tried a pair and I like the fit...just need a little more room up front to keep my toes warm...have a history of frost bite.

Thanks, Kevin
How many days do you have on the boots? They may not be broken in yet, has the liner compressed yet because the heel will move back more when it does and give you more room in the toe. Once it is broken in and you still feel the need than have it punched.

TS
KTN

KTN

Booting up
Skier
I haven't purchased yet...Tried on the 120s, nice progressive flex but much softer than my Lange Free tour 110 on the carpet. But the range of motion is really superior, really. Nice tall cuff which fits my thinner calf. Waiting to try the 130 which should arrive soon. Hoping that this is a perfect 50/50 boot. I will replace with my Zipfit Tour liners too.

Regarding the break-in, I will wait to purchase from a bootfitter to give them some business for the assist.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
How many days do you have on the boots? They may not be broken in yet, has the liner compressed yet because the heel will move back more when it does and give you more room in the toe. Once it is broken in and you still feel the need than have it punched.

I think with an 11.5 foot in a 27.5 he can probably count on needing to punch for length. I am 10.5 in a 27.5, it's a generous fit for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wants more length.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think with an 11.5 foot in a 27.5 he can probably count on needing to punch for length. I am 10.5 in a 27.5, it's a generous fit for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if he wants more length.
I have a 10 - 10.5 depending on the shoe manufacture and I am in a 26.5 so not sure if shoe size is a good gauge but more of just a starting point when you go out to purchase a boot.

TS
KTN

KTN

Booting up
Skier
I've been in a 27.5 for a long time...many different alpine boots. No dedicated touring boot...only alpine with tech inserts. I want this boot to be closer to a touring boot with an alpine foundation. A 50/50 boot for me..also a daily driver, like a leatherman!

So in my room here I have Lange XT Free 110 from last year, and the Ranger 120 Free, Ranger 130 Free and the Rossi 120 all track pro.
The Lange was last year's daily so I compared all of them to it.

Rossi looks like it came from the same mold but is quite different. Little more instep and toe box, same stiffness as the Lange but much more progressive..the Lange has a hard stop. ROM is the same but not enough for a full day..read weak. Rossi pivot point is 2 cm lower than the Lange and the Rossi forefoot shell looks several mm wider. Don't have a caliper here at home but I think it's obvious.

The Rangers are similar to each other in shell volume I think, but the 120 is way softer, much softer than the Lange 110. The 130 is same as the Lange but very nice and progressive. ROM is outstanding, especially backwards. Little tight up front for me especially on top at the base of the toes. No pressure points. I think it will work...I want to compare to the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120.

Thought these carpet observations might interest somebody in the market for the same. Note that I used my Dreamliners for all comparisons.

Kevin

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
I've been in a 27.5 for a long time...many different alpine boots. No dedicated touring boot...only alpine with tech inserts. I want this boot to be closer to a touring boot with an alpine foundation. A 50/50 boot for me..also a daily driver, like a leatherman!

So in my room here I have Lange XT Free 110 from last year, and the Ranger 120 Free, Ranger 130 Free and the Rossi 120 all track pro.
The Lange was last year's daily so I compared all of them to it.

Rossi looks like it came from the same mold but is quite different. Little more instep and toe box, same stiffness as the Lange but much more progressive..the Lange has a hard stop. ROM is the same but not enough for a full day..read weak. Rossi pivot point is 2 cm lower than the Lange and the Rossi forefoot shell looks several mm wider. Don't have a caliper here at home but I think it's obvious.

The Rangers are similar to each other in shell volume I think, but the 120 is way softer, much softer than the Lange 110. The 130 is same as the Lange but very nice and progressive. ROM is outstanding, especially backwards. Little tight up front for me especially on top at the base of the toes. No pressure points. I think it will work...I want to compare to the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 120.

Thought these carpet observations might interest somebody in the market for the same. Note that I used my Dreamliners for all comparisons.

Kevin
Did you get the Rangers? I've just bought the 120s and they're pretty snug on the carpet but hoping they will do the business once the snow arrives here. They feel incredibly light compared to any other boot I've had. Any thoughts, advice around the fit, touring in them?

James

Out There
Instructor
If you're looking for a place to get work done now - Forerunner Sports in Killington is still open with reduced hours.