• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Ranger 98 ti 188 w/ G3 Ion

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Is this setup any good? I need new boots anyways and was considering tech. My next purchase was going to be bonafide but I can get a good deal on a lightly used pair of Rangers. The bondafide 188 were a little big for me but my other rigs are 188 and 183 so I'm used to longer skis.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Good for what?

Skiing most of the time inbounds -- no.
Skiing most of the time out of bounds -- yes.

And of course, it depends on where you ski, and how you ski.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Whenever conditions allow we spend about 75% of our time on lift served woods or ungroomed trails. I have other skis for hard snow and am willing to sacrifice some mogul performance. Thinking that bondafides would be better all around but still slow on moguls.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've got the Ranger 115s and love them, FWIW. Quick and light for such a big ski, and still plenty "chargy" for me.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Is this setup any good? I need new boots anyways and was considering tech. My next purchase was going to be bonafide but I can get a good deal on a lightly used pair of Rangers. The bondafide 188 were a little big for me but my other rigs are 188 and 183 so I'm used to longer skis.

Really good backcountry setup with enough capability to be used at the resort. For inbounds use I would prefer another binding like the Fritschi tecton, Marker Kingpin or even the Dynafit Radical 2.0 FT. But the Ions are an awesome backcountry binding.

The skis per se are really good I hear for inbounds and backcountry use. It is just a matter if you like the feel of the bindings in harder and choppier resort conditions.

TS
Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like the bindings might be too much of a compromise. If they are iso 5355 compatible I could see how I like them and switch bindings if needed and keep the ions for another setup.

Sponsor

Staff online