• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Profoil Ranger Climbing Skins

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Just received my ebay purchase for an unused Fischer Profoil Ranger Climbing Skins, Pre-Cut 90mm/89mm Women'S, 165 cm, that was just $64 including tax and shipping. Thus much less than I've seen elsewhere for generic Profoil skins. I'll be occasionally doing modest gradient backcountry climbs solely for fresh powder using Daymaker binding adapters several here advised my not buying haha.

After looking at the shape of Fischer Rangers versus my new same length Santa Ana 88's, gambled they would be a close enough fit to work and indeed have tried them on both skis that fit nicely as is. The edge of the skin is close to the Santa Ana metal edge the whole way and expect that will allow the metal edges to bite in the snow some if needed on say traverses. Note I have a really old pair of Pocoma nylon skins from the narrow ski era that of course leave a lot of ski base showing thus can only climb easy gradients. The glue on the Pocoma skins is weak despite reapplying new glue last year. Here is a good review of Profoils and the comments below are also worth reading.

https://www.wildsnow.com/16771/fischer-profoil-climbing-skins-review/

One issue I'm not clear about is using the plastic film as the terse handbook relates the plastic separator sheet in the product box is not to be used out on the snow after skin removal but rather a "foil film"? Huh? Nothing else in my product box? Web searching on that found nothing so may have been for another Profoil product that used the same handbook. What I did see on the web was one user indeed uses the product plastic separator sheets and just folds them up so, then chucks each skin into the carrying stuff bag. In the other, someone simply rolled the skins up without any protective sheet thus the glue side would be against the scale side of skins as though that would not be an issue sticking together. Ok great, as applying the skins back onto that plastic in windy conditions would be more difficult than with normal skins just putting them back to back on their glue sides, that is a no no with Profoils. In any case until I clearly understand what is best in the field, I'll add a modest length of blue plastic tarp to lay the skins down on in order to carefully get the plastic sheet into the skins without adding snow and debris atop snow before storing in the stuff bag.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I don't know the answer, but since the skins are made of P-tex, and your ski bases are made of P-tex, it stands to reason that you could roll them up like the guy on the web. Let us know how you like them. I have heard that they are great for certain snow conditions.

Sponsor

Staff online