• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Pro Mountain 86 TI 2017

viv069

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Just wondering if anyone has skied these, and if so, any comments, comparison?

BTW I'm 6'1, 240 and an aggressive expert skier. I'm looking for a 3rd ski to go with 192 Bent Chetler and 189 Volkl 100eights

Any responses appreciated.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Weclome to the forum, you are actually a landmark member, #900 (there are more, but I we exterminated the spammers).

I didn't ski the Fischer but we do ahve a few that appreciate the Fischer brand and I will let them chime in. You sound like a big boy and you are looking to to round out the narrow end of a three ski quiver, may I ask, exactly what are you looking for this ski to do? How much hard snow performance are you looking for, to what Nth degree in power?

TS
V

viv069

Skier
Weclome to the forum, you are actually a landmark member, #900 (there are more, but I we exterminated the spammers).

I didn't ski the Fischer but we do ahve a few that appreciate the Fischer brand and I will let them chime in. You sound like a big boy and you are looking to to round out the narrow end of a three ski quiver, may I ask, exactly what are you looking for this ski to do? How much hard snow performance are you looking for, to what Nth degree in power?

Good to be here!

I've consolidated my quiver right back, selling my '12 184 Volkl Mantras (awesome battleships but not much fun for aging knees), '16 180 Volkl Racetiger GS (like a 45 year old dating a 20 year - fun at first but have to be on your toes all the time), '11 177 Volkl AC50's (wasn't using them at all.

I normally ski 20 days in New Zealand where I live (which is a mix of US East & West coast conditions), and 14 days in the US (normally Jackson).

I'm looking for something fun for fresh fast groomers in the morning, that will also happily venture off piste later in the day.

My research had me honing in on 184 Volkl Kendo which seems to tick a number of boxes, then I stumbled upon the Pro MTN 86 online.

All suggestions appreciated.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Good to be here!

I've consolidated my quiver right back, selling my '12 184 Volkl Mantras (awesome battleships but not much fun for aging knees), '16 180 Volkl Racetiger GS (like a 45 year old dating a 20 year - fun at first but have to be on your toes all the time), '11 177 Volkl AC50's (wasn't using them at all.

I normally ski 20 days in New Zealand where I live (which is a mix of US East & West coast conditions), and 14 days in the US (normally Jackson).

I'm looking for something fun for fresh fast groomers in the morning, that will also happily venture off piste later in the day.

My research had me honing in on 184 Volkl Kendo which seems to tick a number of boxes, then I stumbled upon the Pro MTN 86 online.

All suggestions appreciated.
I am probably one of those Fischer fans that Phil mentioned. I have the Motive 95 and think it is an amazingly versatile and confidence inspiring ski. Thing I like most is very strong tails that never punish. The pro-mountain is its replacement, but I haven't been on it. I am a big guy, but not as big as you (6'2"/200lbs).

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I love my Motive 95s (at 6'2" and 195), but one of the things I love about them is that they are a metal-containing ski that Is decidedly NOT super stiff.

I just don't ski as fast as I used to!

I don't know about the new Pro 86, but at your weight, you might consider the Salomon X-Drive 8.8. I haven't skied it, but this review makes it sound like an awesome ski for a bigger guy: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-salomon-x-drive-8-8-fs

@Philpug, I hope it's OK to reference another site?

TS
V

viv069

Skier
I love my Motive 95s (at 6'2" and 195), but one of the things I love about them is that they are a metal-containing ski that Is decidedly NOT super stiff.

I don't know about the new Pro 86, but at your weight, you might consider the Salomon X-Drive 8.8. I haven't skied it, but this review makes it sound like an awesome ski for a bigger guy: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/2014-2015-salomon-x-drive-8-8-fs

Thanks for that. Will check it out.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

The 8.8 is a stellar ski for sure, one of the most underated in the category. Blister's reviews are good. Since we are offering other options past the Fischer, take a look at my Thumbnails in the 80's All Mountain Category.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Last winter I had a chance to try the Pro Mtn 86Ti, and talking to the rep, the 175 was the smallest size he had. I almost moved on, until he said “you’ll be fine, just give it shot”…didn’t take me much convincing. And I must say, I was very happy I tried it. It's a great, versatile ski. The snow conditions when I demoed stood somewhere in between firm and icy, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it out again in those same conditions.

When you get on most skis, you can pinpoint whether it’s more of a beginner, intermediate, or advanced ski. Honestly, it was such an easy ski to ski that I could see anyone of absolutely any level skiing it. I tried to push it to find a speed limit and couldn’t (someone more aggressive, faster and larger than me might have been able to...maybe?). It’s wide enough that you could easily make it a one-ski-quiver, or find it a place in your line-up.

I have the Motive 95 and think it is an amazingly versatile and confidence inspiring ski.

This is a great way to sum up the ProMtn as well.

Sponsor

Staff online