• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Podium 130 Cuff Rotation

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
I have a pair of Fischer Podium 130's that came with some inserts that permit the cuff to be rotated a few degrees toward the little toe side. I presume that it has something to do with the "duck foot" stance built into the boots. So far I have only tried them in the straight ahead position and they feel fine.
What would be the advantage of rotating the cuff to the outside?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It's not really a duck for thing because it does only rotate the cuff and not the last relative to the lug on the sole. I'd encourage you to explore it. It's pretty noticeable. I skied most of last season with my buckles rotated out, but have now switched to having them straight. I spoke to one of the techs that works with Steve Nyman and he basically said that buckles out = slalom, buckles straight = GS, and buckles rotated in (I haven't tried this) = speed. For me, the boot feels much more positive with the buckles rotated out. Depending on the snow that could be a good thing - or not. I feel like the bottom line is that rotating the buckles somehow approximates canting the boot sole about 1 degree. I could cancel out the rotation by canting the sole in about that amount. It's not too big of a deal to turn the cuffs and you can always turn them back if you don't like what you get, so feel free to try and confirm my results.

James

Out There
Instructor
It's not really a duck for thing because it does only rotate the cuff and not the last relative to the lug on the sole. I'd encourage you to explore it. It's pretty noticeable. I skied most of last season with my buckles rotated out, but have now switched to having them straight. I spoke to one of the techs that works with Steve Nyman and he basically said that buckles out = slalom, buckles straight = GS, and buckles rotated in (I haven't tried this) = speed. For me, the boot feels much more positive with the buckles rotated out. Depending on the snow that could be a good thing - or not. I feel like the bottom line is that rotating the buckles somehow approximates canting the boot sole about 1 degree. I could cancel out the rotation by canting the sole in about that amount. It's not too big of a deal to turn the cuffs and you can always turn them back if you don't like what you get, so feel free to try and confirm my results.
Are you talking about rotating the cuff out in the transverse plane? (Parallel to boot sole) With those black, red, grey, plastic hinge things?
This I’d like to try. I kept feeling the cuff wanted to rotate my shin in when buckled. Did not like.

How does one do this?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
No it’s different hardware that includes that figure eight shaped piece on the spine. I’m not at home so I don’t have pics but I think you can see it in my podium 150 thread.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
This adjustment allows the boot to accommodate a skier's leg morphology and provide improved knee tracking direction.

You can kind of check this at home, but to do it really correctly takes some tools and knowledge that most skiers don't have.

Stand in front of a full length mirror wearing a pair of shorts with your boots on. As you flex forward, note what direction your knees move while keeping the boots flat on the floor. Ideally you want the "center of knee mass" to travel directly over the 2nd metatarsal ray. You can approximate this by finding the top of your tibia just below the knee cap and noting where the center of the width of your leg is at this point. The knee cap itself is not what we need to watch (this can lead you astray). Mark the center point, A large L-square can be used by aligning it with the center seam of the boot (an approximation of the 2nd metatarsal ray) and watching how the center point on your leg aligns with the center line of the boot as you flex forward.

The cuff rotation adjustment can help realign your knee tracking to keep your leg moving in the right direction for your stance alignment.

TS
Speeder

Speeder

Booting up
Skier
Are you talking about rotating the cuff out in the transverse plane? (Parallel to boot sole) With those black, red, grey, plastic hinge things?
This I’d like to try. I kept feeling the cuff wanted to rotate my shin in when buckled. Did not like.

How does one do this?
Not talking about cuff canting. Talking about cuff rotation by moving the cuff pivot points using the hardware provided with the boots

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January