• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fischer Motive 95 Ti 2015 - 168cm or 174cm?

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I've skied on 2015 Fischer Progressor 900's (170cm) for 15 days now, and I am very happy with them as all-around groomer zoomers. They feel like a very quick GS ski but do better than a real race ski in varied terrain and conditions. They love to be laid over hard and have a very high speed limit. They reward good technique, but they don't punish bad technique (they just get bored). They're great for 75% of the skiing I do, so I'm definitely keeping them.

I'm 67, 5'7" and 165 pounds - old-school advanced skier. Alas, I only ski 10 days a season if I'm lucky. The P900s at 170cm are a good all-around length (and 10cm shorter than my previous 2000 Atomic Beta Race 920's), but I feel like I could have gone down to 165cm if I'd wanted a more slalom-like feel.

So with that said, I think I'd like a 2nd pair of skis geared toward bumps, trees, and crud. Powder isn't really an issue, as I ski exclusively in New England - mostly day trips to New Hampshire. I'm thinking that I want something 'slithery'. I'd still want good (but not necessarily great) carving on groomers, but would accept more modest high-speed capability in favor of enhanced low-speed maneuverability and playfulness.

I like the Fischer feel. I demoed the Motive 86s in 175cm a couple years ago, and liked them - especially the rebound from the tail - but I bought the P900s in spite of the Motive 86's perceived versatility, as they more closely matched where and how I ski most of the time.

OK, so now I'm looking for a deal on a 90-ish ski to complete my first ever 2-ski quiver. Since I'll only use this ski about 25% of the time, at least initially, I'm looking for an off-season deal on an older model. Specifically, with the new Pro MTN series replacing the Motives for 2017, I think the 2015 Motive 95 might be a good bet; it seems I can get them brand new in either size with good bindings mounted and adjusted for under $500. But I'm wondering about the length. I figure in that ski, the 174 will feel/ski about as long as my P900s in 170 do, and the 168 might feel/ski more like a P900 in 165 would have. Given my intended usage, I'm thinking of going for the 168. Would that be a mistake? Another factor to consider, though I don't want to over-emphasize this, is that I'm not getting any younger and it's conceivable that I might start to slow down in a few years ... maybe.

It looks like I won't be able to demo before purchase, so what do you guys think?

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor
I think you want the 174. I ski the 180 and weigh about 20 lbs more than you do.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree on 174. I'm 195 and ski the 186. It does not feel like a "true" 186, likely due to the tip rocker.

I think you'll like the Motive 95. It is the softest ski I've ever experienced with two layers of metal. Not too soft though.

To muddy the waters, since you said "powder isn't really an issue" I'm not sure that the Motive 86 wouldn't be the better choice.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Thanks guys, I agree that the Motive 86 might have been a better choice for a 1SQ. But I really like the P900s (75mm waist), so I want to add to them, not replace them. And I think that the Motive 95 might be a better alternative in that case. I want something I can dance through varied terrain and snow conditions on. But I plan to keep the P900s - they carve medium radius turns at high speed on hardpack like a son-of-a-gun, and that's what I do most of the time. So, for 'dancing' down the trail, still 174?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I still say yes, emphatically, to the 174.

Get 'em while you can!

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
OK, that's what Fischer's Product Finder on their Website says as well!
By the way, I'm Tom K. too!
- Tom Karol

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
Definitely the 174cm. It's a friendly ski! If you are in the market, we have 1 pair left, and just marked it down to $499.

I would say to downsize under the 174, you would need to be a pretty small, conservative skier. Figure this ski skis 2-4cm shorter than the listed length.

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Thanks, Dawg, that's a great deal on a 2016 model! And you guys have convinced me that 174 is the right size. But I'm going to hold off and demo next year. In the meantime - albeit next season, as this season is sadly shot here in New England - I'm going to keep enjoying my P900s. Thanks to all who posted advice.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Thanks, Dawg, that's a great deal on a 2016 model! And you guys have convinced me that 174 is the right size. But I'm going to hold off and demo next year. In the meantime - albeit next season, as this season is sadly shot here in New England - I'm going to keep enjoying my P900s. Thanks to all who posted advice.

You know that ski is not in the line for next year, right?

TS
Tominator

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
Yes, from my OP: "Specifically, with the new Pro MTN series replacing the Motives for 2017 ..."
I'll probably just ski the crap out of my P900s for a few years and then see what's out there then.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
in true Eastern gathering fashion there is currently a storm predicted friday.

Snowmaking trails are good to go on anything, rocks skismight be fun for skiing off trail if it reopens up.