• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First time wearing a helmet...did it help?

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Finally bought a good helmet this year. Due to the many years of riding a motorbike, clipping in and wearing it felt natural from the get go so that was a plus.

Every year, it seems I take one good fall where I smack my noggin pretty good. That parts ok, but I think the neck muscles get over extended and I end up having a very difficult time lifting my head from the pillow and suffer from a stiff neck for a few days.

Recently, I've been having some neck issues that required me going to a PT. Don't know if previous hits, bad posture at work where I am always in front of a computer or both have conspired to make my neck very stiff. The PT has helped but I was worried about taking another hit.

Happened on our last day (of course). I caught a tip on a cloudy, flat light day, and spun 360...thought I might actually pull it off, but my ski caught again and got whipped around and slammed into the slope hitting my right knee, elbow, and right side of my helmet. Probably the hardest hit I've taken.

I had very slight neck soreness and overall felt pretty good with no mobility issues. I'm thinking the extra inch or two from the width of the helmet kept from head from tilting and extending my neck. If so, the helmet was totally worth it.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you are hurting your neck while hitting your head. You may not realize it but you are injuring your brain also. Maybe in a minor way but head/brain injuries are cumulative. Wear your helmet. Your neck problems could become very minor compared to cumulative brain concussions.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Helmets are a good thing, plus they’re warm. You may never need it protective wise, but when you do you will be glad you had it on.

TS
Mikey

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you are hurting your neck while hitting your head. You may not realize it but you are injuring your brain also. Maybe in a minor way but head/brain injuries are cumulative. Wear your helmet. Your neck problems could become very minor compared to cumulative brain concussions.

Wanted to add, when I went to the PT, they also took a full set of x-rays and everything looked pretty normal with good curvature.

I know on those past hits, I could hear my neck make a noise. Never seemed to have any concussion symptoms but figured it was time to protect myself better. Didn't hear that crunchy sound when I hit this time. Really expected a sore/stiff outcome so was happy when I felt great the next day.

Helmets are a good thing, plus they’re warm. You may never need it protective wise, but when you do you will be glad you had it on.

A big plus, like I mentioned, was that it was immediately familiar and felt comfortable. Never even realized I had it on to be honest. I run pretty hot, and a beanie was always fine for me when skiing in 0 degrees (or below) at Big Sky so I was plenty warm with the helmet and kept the vents open.

Happy to wear a helmet now :)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Only race helmets are warm.

I think my non-race helmet is warmer than the hat I used to wear. At least, with the vents closed it is. (Though I rarely ski with the vents closed.)

@Mikey if you hit your head hard, you might want to check your helmet for deformity. If it's deformed at all, you need a new helmet. They're single accident items if they are defomed.

Here's the language from Skis.com about replacing helmets :

Have You Taken a Spill?
Anytime you take a crash, you should be inspecting your helmet. In fact, you should be inspecting your helmet every time you get geared up. You must inspect the inside and outside of the helmet anytime you’ve taken a fall that was hard enough to rattle your cage a little bit. The exterior shell of a helmet must not have any dents or dings in it. The inner, energy-absorbent material must be fully intact as well. Both of these layers work together to displace energy to keep you protected. Regardless of the shell construction a ski or snowboard helmet is made out of, whether Soft Shell, Hard Shell, In Mold or Hybrid, they are ALL single impact helmets. This means that if you have taken a fall that was hard enough to damage your helmet even once, it must be replaced.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A buddy of mine always compares wearing a helmet to the roll bar on his lifted truck. (In my deepest southern accent) “You don’t hardly ever need it but when you do, you’re glad it’s there”.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A buddy of mine always compares wearing a helmet to the roll bar on his lifted truck. (In my deepest southern accent) “You don’t hardly ever need it but when you do, you’re glad it’s there”.
Kinda like fire insurance on your house. Have I used it? Nope. Am I going to cancel it? Nope.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Dwight maybe @James put it a bit wrong way, but race/hard shell helmets are warmer then soft ears helmets. I agree also soft ears helmets are warm, but when it goes down to -15c my POC Skull Orbic comp is definitely warmer then my POC Fornix that I use for backcountry.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
@Dwight maybe @James put it a bit wrong way, but race/hard shell helmets are warmer then soft ears helmets. I agree also soft ears helmets are warm, but when it goes down to -15c my POC Skull Orbic comp is definitely warmer then my POC Fornix that I use for backcountry.

Yep, I'm getting fair weather, -10F is about as cold as go, if the snow is worth it.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
It made me more confident overall with that protected feeling that it gives.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Only race helmets are warm.

Absolutely incorrect.

In my soft hat days, my wife made for me a selection of knitted hats with various linings and insulations to address the weather where I skied overlooking lake Michigan and its winds. When I got my first (non-race) helmet in the 1980s, we bundled up all my hats, filling a pillowcase, and took them to a donation center. I have had dozens of helmets since, and every one was warmer than any kind of hat.

James

Out There
Instructor
hmm, I better go tell Smith and Pret. :)

Absolutely incorrect.

In my soft hat days, my wife made for me a selection of knitted hats with various linings and insulations to address the weather where I skied overlooking lake Michigan and its winds. When I got my first (non-race) helmet in the 1980s, we bundled up all my hats, filling a pillowcase, and took them to a donation center. I have had dozens of helmets since, and every one was warmer than any kind of hat.
Ok, you're lucky. My first two helmets were warm. A Giro full plastic with a vent lever on top. Circa 2000. Then an Ovo with carbon fiber on the top and a million screws. Circa 2003. Ovo went out of business many years ago.

After that the Smiths have been freezing. 3 of them. 2 Variant brims, and the current I forget but it's not that. The current one is a bit warmer.
I used to never ski with a hood. Now I can't go without. Now when it's cold you need a hat and a helmet - a beanie underneath.

Oh, I'm forgetting the Scott I wore for a couple days. With the side plastic in over the ears as it came, riding the chairlift it sounded like I was doing 50. I can't remember if it was very cold, but it had few redeeming qualities, so likely.

The issue is the back- where you tighten it, lets in gobs of air on your neck. Then when you tighten it, in the front the liner pulls away from the shell and let's air in. Venting seems to be what they care about.
Plus, the perma vents in all those Smith models that basically just need to be taped.
Nothing warm about them.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, you're lucky. My first two helmets were warm. A Giro full plastic with a vent lever on top. Circa 2000. Then an Ovo with carbon fiber on the top and a million screws. Circa 2003. Ovo went out of business many years ago.

After that the Smiths have been freezing. 3 of them. 2 Variant brims, and the current I forget but it's not that. The current one is a bit warmer.
I used to never ski with a hood. Now I can't go without. Now when it's cold you need a hat and a helmet - a beanie underneath.

Oh, I'm forgetting the Scott I wore for a couple days. With the side plastic in over the ears as it came, riding the chairlift it sounded like I was doing 50. I can't remember if it was very cold, but it had few redeeming qualities, so likely.

The issue is the back- where you tighten it, lets in gobs of air on your neck. Then when you tighten it, in the front the liner pulls away from the shell and let's air in. Venting seems to be what they care about.
Plus, the perma vents in all those Smith models that basically just need to be taped.
Nothing warm about them.
Hmmm.... Mine's a Smith (Variance) and I can close the vents completely.