• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BillyGoat

Booting up
Skier
So, I started my first tune last night and got totally into the zen of it .... wow. It just put my mind at ease in a really cool place. Do others get this "tuner's high?"

So, of course, I'm watching tons of YouTube vids, etc, but I still have a lot of questions. I'll start with just a couple that I had a hard time finding ready answers:

1. Is a tuning file any different than a file you can buy at hardware store?

2. I found my diamond stones getting pretty gunked up quickly .... do you clean them with what? And how long do they typicallly last? How many tunes?

ok, more than 2 questions....thanks in advance.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do others get this "tuner's high?"

Yes and no. It all depends.

Answers to numbered questions.

1) No. The hardware store files are too soft. With hardware store files, you'll not be filing your edges. You will simply be scoring the files with your ski edges. Not good.

2) Check the diamond stone to see what the gunk is. If it is plastic material, then you need to cut back the side wall. If it is metal, then a 50/50 water & alcohol solution works to keep the black stuff suspended.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
And if it's wax, some citrus cleaner works really well. That's what I use the base cleaner for, by the way, because it's about every three seasons that there's enough dirt to need more than hot scraping here.

I get the Zen thing, I've got my tunes, and would have a beer if it hadn't started (along with wine) to give me headaches as I got older. I don't think bourbon is necessarily a good accompaniment to power tools and hot irons...

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
So, I started my first tune last night and got totally into the zen of it .... wow. It just put my mind at ease in a really cool place. Do others get this "tuner's high?"

So, of course, I'm watching tons of YouTube vids, etc, but I still have a lot of questions. I'll start with just a couple that I had a hard time finding ready answers:

1. Is a tuning file any different than a file you can buy at hardware store?

2. I found my diamond stones getting pretty gunked up quickly .... do you clean them with what? And how long do they typicallly last? How many tunes?

ok, more than 2 questions....thanks in advance.

Congratulations. Check this thread for a link to many questions you may have.
For the one's you ask now, you will find the answers here.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

Tuner's high? Must be the wax temperature. Other than that, the thrill will mellow, and tuning your ski will become the chore it is supposed to be.
With that, ski tuning is a great way to pass the time when the snow is just not falling. We had 5 inches yesterday, and 8-10 expected Tuesday. No need to tune for powder days ;-)

Zrxman01

Out on the slopes
Skier
Did I mention

www.slidewright.com?!??

Sorrryyyyyy.

2D202B4E-6430-43B2-93F5-46A1AEBC22C3.jpeg

Sponsor

Staff online