• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Consider Irwin Guides out of Crested Butte as well.

I heard they are the best in Colorado (overall experience) with the Steamboat Powdercats not far behind.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I heard they are the best in Colorado (overall experience) with the Steamboat Powdercats not far behind.

Irwin and Steamboat are in different leagues. I’d pick at least two other Colorado cat operations over Steamboat — especially for the price Steamboat gets now.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Irwin and Steamboat are in different leagues. I’d pick at least two other Colorado cat operations over Steamboat — especially for the price Steamboat gets now.

I just saw that Steamboat Powdercats raised their prices quite a bit since I was there a few years ago. :eek:

Last edited:
TS
David

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I just saw that Steamboat Powdercats raised their prices quite a bit since I was there a few years ago. :eek:
I checked this afternoon and it looked like $675 a day. I won't be going there!

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
I went to Big Red Cats and can vouch for them as a top notch operation. The people were all great, both incredibly nice and professional, and they did a good job of finding some semi-decent snow for us. But that last part was the problem. 2 years in a row we had pretty poor snow conditions. The first year was so bad with refrozen conditions that they weren't even sending cats out. They gave us a rain check and we came back the next year to try again. The conditions that year were marginal, they offered us another rain check if we wanted, but we didn't want to come back a third year so we went and skied.

I haven't skied Red Mt. other than those two trips, so I have no idea if we just got unlucky or if their location is prone to temperature fluctuations (and therefore issues with snow conditions). Because of this, I'd be hesitant to book there again. It's not a fault of the people or the terrain but it is the experience I had, so take this one anecdotal data point for what it's worth.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Prices are huge for Cat skiing, with very few if any in the $200/day range. I'm also looking into a Cat ski adventure this year. The areas I'm interested in are in this spreadsheet. I inquired at Soldier Mountain two months ago and the reply from the operation was not very encouraging.

My plan is to sample a day opportunistically (snow conditions) at Anthony Lakes, and book a 2-day with yurt overnight at Soldier Mountain for a group of 10 friends. Those locations are the least expensive and close enough to friends and family so I can stay for free nearby.

View attachment 79778

AWESOME spreadsheet!

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Thanks all. Targhee was on my list since I family in JH to stay with. Steamboat sounds like another great option too!

David - Targhee has a really nice vibe. We had a place there and it is one of my fav smaller resorts. Staying up at the hill is really intimate. Yet you can still run down into town for great Thai food and groceries.

You could probably really successfully loop together a few half day lessons and a cat skiing day or two. The terrain there is mostly mellow.

Watch weather. Let that dictate where you go. Lots of time to decide. Let me know if you get out this way.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I don't know anything about Targhee cat skiing but it seems you might either be beat to death or bored to death depending on how you can handle the deep snow.

Totally different, but we took the cat at Sugarloaf and while it was cheap and fun to take the kids on a cat, the terrain was mellow and we could've been lapping fresh snow in bracket basin all day.

With those warnings aside, I say go for it !

TS
David

David

Skier
David - Targhee has a really nice vibe. We had a place there and it is one of my fav smaller resorts. Staying up at the hill is really intimate. Yet you can still run down into town for great Thai food and groceries.

You could probably really successfully loop together a few half day lessons and a cat skiing day or two. The terrain there is mostly mellow.

Watch weather. Let that dictate where you go. Lots of time to decide. Let me know if you get out this way.
It's one of my favorite places to ski. Been going there on and off since 1981.

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice Chart!
Irwin is super luxe. Who'd a thought that Steamboat would charge more ($25) or Vail a lot less (175)!

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I've done the Targhee cat ski a couple of times, and they have the mellow terrain, with just enough steep here and there to keep you on your toes. The scenery is top notch, they have their act down tight, and Targhee is just about your best bet anywhere to have the powder, especially early season (Dec). If I had to name the 5 best ski days I've ever had, 2 of them would be with Targhee CatSki.
View media item 3541View media item 3540
The Irwin cat ski operation in Crested Butte is the only other cat ski operation I've tried. They have excellent equipment, good guides, a neat base camp cabin, and good terrain. Our group got stuck with the cat driver's mom tagging along for several runs, but she thankfully bowed out at mid-day so we could hit the harder terrain. A sun crust plagued us all day, so we weren't scoring any style points.
View media item 3542View media item 3543
I've inquired several times about the Soldier Mtn cat ski operation, but they have never given me a straight answer. Is there anyone who's ever rode with them? Anyone???

Don't forget to tip your guides too!

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
The Ridge Cat is free at Loveland...

A979147E-865D-41E6-9BBB-EC12BB3AD315.jpeg
596E002A-6CC8-4D95-B72C-3AB894111867.jpeg

@mdf with the Ridge Cat.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
@SpikeDog what did I ever do to you? Your links say I dont have permission to view the albums. :(ogwink

My first album ever, and I had to give permission? I'm such a noob.....anyway, you're looking at the whole album there in post #32. I see the PUGSKI logo plastered over all the pix too; what's up wif dat?

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
David---where are the regions you can get to that, odds are, might have the most reliable snow?
Pick a lift-served area with a cat option. Ski the cat if snow's good. Enjoy the lifts if the snow isn't fresh.

I've skied Colorado about a dozen times. Had deep powder once, shallow powder once, nothing fresh the rest of the times. Don't go when I go.

TS
David

David

Skier
David---where are the regions you can get to that, odds are, might have the most reliable snow?
Pick a lift-served area with a cat option. Ski the cat if snow's good. Enjoy the lifts if the snow isn't fresh.

I've skied Colorado about a dozen times. Had deep powder once, shallow powder once, nothing fresh the rest of the times. Don't go when I go.
Haha... I get out west (Rockies) twice a winter and almost never find fresh snow so I'm with ya!

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Steamboat Powder cats may be expensive, but as they say, you get what you pay for. They have a USFS permit to operate on 10,000 acres of land, with 3 cats. That means, everyday they go out you get freshies because they farm the snow and don't return to the same spot until it's refreshed by Mother Nature. I went with them last year and we got something like 16 runs in the top tier, expert group. They've been in operation since 1983 and they were still naming runs last year; they asked us ( the cat group fro that day ) what name for a run we would like to see the run named, as it was still unnamed, that's how big their terrain is. I enjoyed it and would do it again. Now, as a beginner, I'm not sure if you'd get your monies worth or not? I can't say as I've never skied with them in that capacity.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
We had a blast with the cats at Powder Mtn in UT. Great crew and brought us to a spot based on the average skill of the group, everyone felt it was well worth the $$.

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
I've done the Purgatory cat (back before the resort bought it and it was San Juan Untracked). Had a fantastic time. It was my very first powder experience. Great people, great runs. Would recommend to anyone.

Sponsor