• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First time skiing, calves won’t even let me do it, help!!!

Brianna

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Please be kind thanks!!
Back story- This is my first time skiing this year on a small family vacation- we tried skiing for the first time last year and we loved it so much we decided to take a few days out for it!! I had been skiing for a few days and had a great time!!
This year, we did the same thing as before- rented the skis and out for a lesson we went! Right away, within 5min waiting on skis for the instructor to start the lesson, I started feeling horrendous calf pain.,, I thought, well I really must not be used to it this year! I thought once we got moving it would ease up, but I hid my pain for about 10min before telling the instructor that I had to stop because of the pain, I was starting to panic because the Pain was so bad I didn’t think I would make it back to the rental place to get them off!
Right away the ski guys said that the rentals this year are all brand new… Last year they were all older and more worn in and they have had some complaints from women because our calves are bigger? I went to another area that had women’s ski boots and I got a pair to rent there and they did feel better… But not for long I would give this one 10 minutes instead of the initial two minutes before I had to say I had to stop! It’s extremely upsetting that we made a whole trip out of this and it made me so happy to ski last year and this year I can’t even make it more than a few minutes because my calves are in such extreme pain!!
I am a bit embarrassed because I am about 200 pounds so I am clearly overweight but I have come a long way from being almost 300 pounds a couple years ago… And last year I did just fine minus some knee pain at the end of the vacation. I am a bit embarrassed because I am about 200 pounds so I am clearly overweight but I have come along way from being almost 300 pounds a couple years ago… And last year I did just fine minus some knee pain at the end of the vacation. Why it last year I was fine with the old rentals can I not handle it? It’s literally just my calves it so much pain immediately! I am 5 foot four so I am short and clearly not tiny but last year was much easier and I am the same way as I was then… What can I do? Should I give up or should I go And see if I should try to buy some? I don’t understand why my calves get into such intense pain extreme pain so quickly that I can’t even ski, please help!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
To be clear, does this pain subside or exist when you are not wearing ski boots?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
There is nothing to be embarrassed about.

What can I do? Should I give up or should I go And see if I should try to buy some?

Talking to a decent bootfitter would be a very good idea. They are absolutely the most qualified to help.

I don’t understand why my calves get into such intense pain extreme pain so quickly that I can’t even ski, please help!

I can't say for sure, but my guess is that the new boots were tighter-fitting than the old ones, and when everything was buckled up your ankles had to bend much more than they were used to.

Don't even bother going to rental desks with this problem - they are not remotely qualified to diagnose it let alone solve it. You need to see a pro fitter, in person. We really can't fix it over the Internet. And the fix needn't be expensive.

Keep up the enthusiasm and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
some women have lower calves and usually rental boots will not accommodate extreme cases. You may need to go to a boot fitter and see.

curious did you have anything tucked into your ski boots?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Yep see a bootfitter for sure. Also note that a good fitting boot will hug your heel when you lean forward. You can't really stand straight upright with straight knees in ski boots. If you are fighting the boot to try to stand up tall, you could be straining your muscles doing that.

Wear very thin socks too. Many make the mistake of wearing a thick "warm" sock. Thick socks make it all worse.

Last edited:

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
First of all, there's nothing wrong with your body. I ski with a ton of expert ladies of all shapes and sizes and heights and ages. They all ski on very different boots and different skis that fit their size and strength well.

The thing with rentals is that they put everyone in the same models of boots - or, like you experienced, at most having a men's and women's line. It's not really possible to tell what's causing pain without seeing the old boots, the new boots, and your feet/legs, but it's rare that rental boots work really well for people since feet & legs are diverse and rental boots are not.

If you've liked skiing, boots are a great investment - the most important part of your ski setup. Rental skis and poles will serve you fine while you're still learning. A bootfitter will have a ton more options for you to try on and can re-shape the plastic if you need more room for a bunion or the calves need to be widened. When you visit them, let them know where/when you felt pain in the rentals. (Did they pinch? Or was it a muscle pain? Did it hurt only when you were skiing? Walking/standing? Even sitting?). If it's muscle cramping & pain or numbness and bootfitting doesn't help, it might be worth it to see a podiatrist or PT. A few friends have found some deeper underlying issues with the muscles and tendons in their legs & feet.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There is most definitely nothing to be embarrassed about. I also have skied with women of all sizes and shapes and most of them kick my butt all over the mountain. I have a great friend who has a very hard time finding boots because she has extremely muscular calves from riding a bike. Since rentals don't work for you, I agree with all the suggestions above to go see a good boot fitter and invest in your own boots. You can rent everything else. Where are you located? Probably someone here can recommend a good shop. And a big welcome to the forum!

TS
Brianna

Brianna

Skier
To be clear, does this pain subside or exist when you are not wearing ski boots?

Yes!!! The pain comes on sooo quickly, within minutes, and then pain goes away once I’m done... took about 2 hours since I kept them on when I was still in pain, but I’ve been fine! I did find a rental store a few miles away that gave me some rentals that they said supposedly are the best for my situation, so hopefully tomorrow it goes well

TS
Brianna

Brianna

Skier
There is most definitely nothing to be embarrassed about. I also have skied with women of all sizes and shapes and most of them kick my butt all over the mountain. I have a great friend who has a very hard time finding boots because she has extremely muscular calves from riding a bike. Since rentals don't work for you, I agree with all the suggestions above to go see a good boot fitter and invest in your own boots. You can rent everything else. Where are you located? Probably someone here can recommend a good shop. And a big welcome to the forum!

This was really helpful, I honestly feel out of place at times when I look at myself, so I thought maybe I would get some flack for being so heavy, but you helped me feel a lot better, thank you!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes!!! The pain comes on sooo quickly, within minutes, and then pain goes away once I’m done... took about 2 hours since I kept them on when I was still in pain, but I’ve been fine! I did find a rental store a few miles away that gave me some rentals that they said supposedly are the best for my situation, so hopefully tomorrow it goes well

Good luck and let’s hope things go well. If you have your boots in hand for tomorrow I’d put them on inside your home or hotel and see how they feel while you have some time. You can play with the buckle adjustments and strap to see what works for you. If you intend on staying with the sport I’d find a goot fitter and buy your own boots. You will get a boot that yiu know will work for you, ski a lot better, and not to mention get to put your foot into a boot that hundreds of other wet, sweaty feet haven’t been in.

TS
Brianna

Brianna

Skier
First of all, there's nothing wrong with your body. I ski with a ton of expert ladies of all shapes and sizes and heights and ages. They all ski on very different boots and different skis that fit their size and strength well.

The thing with rentals is that they put everyone in the same models of boots - or, like you experienced, at most having a men's and women's line. It's not really possible to tell what's causing pain without seeing the old boots, the new boots, and your feet/legs, but it's rare that rental boots work really well for people since feet & legs are diverse and rental boots are not.

If you've liked skiing, boots are a great investment - the most important part of your ski setup. Rental skis and poles will serve you fine while you're still learning. A bootfitter will have a ton more options for you to try on and can re-shape the plastic if you need more room for a bunion or the calves need to be widened. When you visit them, let them know where/when you felt pain in the rentals. (Did they pinch? Or was it a muscle pain? Did it hurt only when you were skiing? Walking/standing? Even sitting?). If it's muscle cramping & pain or numbness and bootfitting doesn't help, it might be worth it to see a podiatrist or PT. A few friends have found some deeper underlying issues with the muscles and tendons in their legs & feet.

Thank you for that!! It feels like my legs are being squeezed and I get like a Charlie horse, it feels like both my calves are seized or seizing, and once I get them off there’s relief

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you intend on staying with the sport I’d find a good fitter and buy your own boots. You will get a boot that yiu know will work for you, ski a lot better, and not to mention get to put your foot into a boot that hundreds of other wet, sweaty feet haven’t been in.

After my first day on skis, I went out that night and bought a pair of boots. Best investment I've ever made!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I skied for 15 years or so in rental boots that not only hurt my feet they also detracted from my skiing. Then it took me 3 tries to purchase a pair of boots that really fit. So don't feel like you are the only one who is having a rough time with the ski boots. Everyone has a story and most folks here are still seeking perfection.

That said, I'm guessing you are having severe calf cramps from the boots which is a different animal to deal with compared to a simple pressure point that can be easily identified. I know it's hard to justify the up front expense of a purchase but in your case it would have a lot of benefit if you think you want to continue skiing. If you do decide to buy, this forum can help you with the process which can be a bit daunting to a newcomer. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, you'll get a much better outcome.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That the second pair hurt is not surprising. The muscles in your calves were angry from the first pair of boots. Please don't be discouraged or embarrassed about your shape, or the shape of your calves, ankles and/or feet. A good boot fitter with a lot of experience has seen it before. Don't be afraid to take a lot of time making sure a new pair of boots fits well. A little stretch here, a buckle adjustment there, and you will get to a good fit. Don't feel obligated at one shop. If they don't have a boot that is at least close to feeling OK, look elsewhere at a different brand. They fit differently not only between brands but within brands. Good luck!

Last edited:

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I call it dead leg and it happened to me on return to skiing many years ago. It was the last time I wore rental boots regardless of my situation. Buy your own boots, get thee to a fitter and don't get tempted to buy boots too big, that will just make it worse!

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Also, heel lifts can get your calves up out of the boot it in a pinch an I still don't buckle my top buckle all the way. And watch your blood pressure, if it drops too low blood can't get past the constriction. May be the first time compression socks and Chinese food were your friends.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Never let 'stuff' come in between your enjoyment of skiing. There are boots out there for you and you are able to ski in them. You did so last year. Finding them can be a struggle but a good bootfitter can and will help you out.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Please be kind thanks!!
Back story- This is my first time skiing this year on a small family vacation- we tried skiing for the first time last year and we loved it so much we decided to take a few days out for it!! I had been skiing for a few days and had a great time!!
This year, we did the same thing as before- rented the skis and out for a lesson we went! Right away, within 5min waiting on skis for the instructor to start the lesson, I started feeling horrendous calf pain.,, I thought, well I really must not be used to it this year! I thought once we got moving it would ease up, but I hid my pain for about 10min before telling the instructor that I had to stop because of the pain, I was starting to panic because the Pain was so bad I didn’t think I would make it back to the rental place to get them off!
Right away the ski guys said that the rentals this year are all brand new… Last year they were all older and more worn in and they have had some complaints from women because our calves are bigger? I went to another area that had women’s ski boots and I got a pair to rent there and they did feel better… But not for long I would give this one 10 minutes instead of the initial two minutes before I had to say I had to stop! It’s extremely upsetting that we made a whole trip out of this and it made me so happy to ski last year and this year I can’t even make it more than a few minutes because my calves are in such extreme pain!!
I am a bit embarrassed because I am about 200 pounds so I am clearly overweight but I have come a long way from being almost 300 pounds a couple years ago… And last year I did just fine minus some knee pain at the end of the vacation. I am a bit embarrassed because I am about 200 pounds so I am clearly overweight but I have come along way from being almost 300 pounds a couple years ago… And last year I did just fine minus some knee pain at the end of the vacation. Why it last year I was fine with the old rentals can I not handle it? It’s literally just my calves it so much pain immediately! I am 5 foot four so I am short and clearly not tiny but last year was much easier and I am the same way as I was then… What can I do? Should I give up or should I go And see if I should try to buy some? I don’t understand why my calves get into such intense pain extreme pain so quickly that I can’t even ski, please help!
First of all, welcome, and you have nothing to be embarrassed about. Dealing with calf issues is something we do on the boot fitting bench all the time.
One thing you may(emphasis on may) want to try is a heel lift. It will bring your calf up out of the boots a little and change the position of your tibia.
Read Andy's post and maybe he'll show you the boot fitting tool we used to stretch the calf on his boots :D
That the second pair hurt is not surprising. The muscles in your calves were angry from the first pair of boots. Please don't be discouraged or embarrassed about your shape, or the shape of your calves, ankles and/or feet. A good boot fitter with a lot of experience has seen it before. Don't be afraid to take a lot of time making sure a new pair of boots fits well. A little stretch here, a buckle adjustment there, and you will get to a good fit. Don't feel obligated at one shop. If they don't have a boot that is at least close to feeling OK, look elsewhere at a different brand. They fit differently not only between brands but within brands. Good luck!

Sponsor

Staff online