• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ryan D

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone,

I'm a 5'4" (163cm) 150 lbs male, fairly athletic (build like an English bulldog). Probably a solid intermediate, average speed/aggressiveness. Easily handle blues and content in blacks that aren't super bumpy. I've been skiing for a few years now, mostly on a set of Techno Pro's that were given to me. Great for learning on eastern Canadian hardpack- 144cm/70 wide, very much beginner skis. Same with the boots, super soft flex.
I was in Colorado in March for a ski trip and rented some more appropriate gear after sinking on my beginner stuff. Not knowing anything about skis, I went with what the rental shop recommended. I spent one day on 166 Brahma's and a couple days on 161 Nomad 95's. Boots were some kind of Technica, 90 flex rating. I was able to handle the Brahma's well enough, but sometimes I felt the ski was in charge or me, vice the other way around. Perhaps a bit too stiff. I think the Nomads were less stiff, more rockered and already shorter- easier to smear turns, and still miles above my Techno Pros. It was all the convincing I needed to get some new stuff.
I'll be skiing mostly eastern Canada (Mont St Marie, Mont Tremblant, Stowe) with one trip a year out west (Colorado, BC, northern cal), mostly groomed but looking to spend more time improving in trees/bumps and in some light powder- if there is going to be a dump of snow, I'll rent skis for that.
I've got a good line on a set of 2019 K2 Pinnacle 88's (163) with Attack2 13 B95 bindings, and Blizzard Bushwackers (166) with Marker Griffon B90 bindings. After reading about these and others similar, these seem pretty solid choices. For boots, it's probably too risky to buy without trying them on at all. US size 7.5, 100mm wide (EE shoe width). I could pick up a pair of K2 B.F.C. 90's (25.5 mondo), with a generous 103mm last, for a great price. But I'm guessing the advice will be "don't do that!".
Thanks very much Pugski, your forums rock.
Ryan

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
For Tremblant, Mt. St. Marie, Calabogie, and the like, you need a narrow carver, something like Fischer WC SC (short radius), RC (longer radius for Tremblant) or the Curve. Basically a one-step-down from FIS racing ski. At 150 lbs, you probably want one size down from the middle length.

For out west or for storm days you want something between 95 and 110 in width. Volkl 100-eight is good, so is Blizzard Bonafide (if you don't want to ski at unwise speeds), and Ripstick 96. Unfortunately I don't get out west all that much so that's all I've tried. However, if you only get out once a year, you're better off renting. By renting you can switch it up - rent a carver for a day of groomers, rent a wide ski for a day of bombing the backside, etc. Bonus you will always be on the latest and greatest, even three years from now, when today's skis might be out classed.

Anybody who says one pair of skis will perform very well at a hill like Mt. St. Marie or at Mt. Tremblant and also perform well at abig mountain out west with lots of snow has set the bar too low at one of those spots.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Buy some all mountain skis and ski them in everything. Keep the edges sharp. Good luck.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Tremblant skier here. Damn you just missed a good sale in Chelsea on Saturday.

I agree with Francois - a slalom orientated ski for the east. I ski a tuned down race ski...Hero ST Carbon and the Hero MT Carbon. Just bought the Nordica Dobermann SLC.

So recommends - keep an eye on Kundstat's website. They put their sale items on there. Get fitted for boots FIRST! Either Kundstat's or Dinardo's. Use Sporting LIfe as a box store. Not sure if they know what they are doing.

Skis - Sorry, but your Techno's are a foam core piece of crap sold by Sportchek. You need a wood core ski. And at least 160cm. My ST's are 161 and MT 159 as they have early rise rocker. The new SLC's are 155 because they are full camber.

So - Either a tuned down slalom ski, or something in the 75 to 84 range. Keep an eye here on Pugski as the reviews of next seasons skis will be appearing through the summer. But if you stop something and need more info, post it.

Oh, make sure your significant other is OK with more than one pair of skis......just warning you.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Get the boot dialed first. What you might think is wide...might not be an also might just be tissue. Maybe @Jilly can suggest a fitter in your area (she posted as I was typing this). As far as skis..you are going to get a lot ot suggestions as far as which way you can go. Yes, you want something to grow into but as you felt with the Brahma, skis do have a minimum requirement for performance such as that, if you had issues with the Brahma, you will have even more issues with the fore mentioned Bonafide. I like the Pinnacle 88, it is a nice easy skiing ski but I would suggest something a bit narrower for you as a day to day skier for the areas that you will usually be skiing. I would say something in the low 80mm range will be better. I would start with skis like the Dynastar Legend 84, the Rossignol Experience 84, Fischer Pro Mtn 80Ti, Atomic Vantage 80. These are really nice hard snow biased all mountain skis that have huge sweetspots and enough performance upside that you are not going to out grow them in a couple of seasons.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
If you want I can give you my boot fitters name. He does NOT sell boots, but if you see him first, he'll advise what boot to get and do any work after the store does theirs. As I mentioned above - Kunstadt's or Dinardo's first for boots. Don't buy the cheapest thing out there, it'll cost you. Marry your boots, date your skis!!

TS
R

Ryan D

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated. I'll look into boots as my first purchase.
Cheers,
Ryan

Sponsor