• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First look, Liberty Evolv 84 179

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Much to my surprise and excitement, I received a FEDEX shipping notice from Liberty Ski with a shipping weight of 8 pounds... Anyone who ships skis a often will know thats a dead give-away for an unmounted pair of skis.:). I texted Phil and Tim at Liberty and found out the Evolv 84 Demo fleet ski had hit our shores. Normally, these would have been arriving just in time for Mothers Day at A-Basin but for now, I can get you psyched to click into these come this fall (fall, here anyway). Its no secret I'm a big fan of Liberty ski's and when I learned of the Evol 84 last January, I was really eager to get on a ski with these dimensions. At 84 underfoot, this width of ski is a great OSQ and certainly a daily driver for "out west" (technically, CO isn't out west but, I digress). The Evolv series is the "all mountain" build in Liberty's lineup, with a fairly traditional shape, a little more rocker than the excellent V-Series, a little stiffer, especially in the tails and only 2 strips of VMT. The 84 retains the softer flex in the tips which do an excellent job in the bumps and undulating terrain but are still torsionally stiff as to not get knocked around. Underfoot is stiff and behind the heel medium ++ for an overall flex of Medium + but, these ski very easy due to the softer tips allowing the ski to engage and pull you into the turn (a trait all Evolvs and V-series have) The Evol 84 Dims are 124-84-110, with a turn radius of 17.5. Whats really nice is the overall shape. These should be plenty snappy and fun on the groomed while being compliant in the bumps (like the Evol 90 and 100) but a little quicker. There is a modest amount of tip and tail rocker; in my book, just enough. I'm not a fan of much rocker, especially in a 84mm ski. As you can see, Liberty once again does an outstanding job on the simple and clean graphics with the sublimated mountains in an appealing color pallet. The matte, dimpled surface always does a great job of hiding minor scratches and snow doesn't stick to it. Well, that's all for now but I am certainly looking forward to getting these on the snow and trying them out in true "all mountain" conditions.

D93043E6-3A0B-470E-8A68-C7AC2ED9A1FE_1_201_a.jpeg

C9304519-A663-413D-B60D-F0E2BC010B67_1_201_a.jpeg
E9FA0FDE-2A23-4D47-9EBC-C4AD2F0A33DB_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Those skis are tempting me to move from a 2 skis quiver with the v76 and a 94mm skis to something around 85mm and 110mm. I love the v76 on groomers but I feel that the gap will be too important for Tahoe if I go wider with the widest skis (likely Deathwish, I will see later in season).

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be a great OSQ in the east (or west, if one stays on groomers primarily)

Looking forward to your review!

TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I will put more details in the main Evolv84 Reviews but I skied on them one day so far. Loveland hero snow conditions, In the AM, it was groomed and later in piled up soft snow. If you like or love the Evolv90 and/or the V series (pick a width) you will love the 84. Snappy, energetic and fun! What Impressed me so much on these is how well they engaged and held a turn and you could instantly break into just about any turn shape. It has the same damp and smooth feel Liberty's are known for (and I love) and the 179 length is ideal. It ski's it length but is never demanding. The tip at the farthest end is just giving enough to load it up on a carved turn or to allow it to flex and absorb on piled snow and soft bumps. The tail is a touch stiffer than the V series but its a lot of fun when loading it up on edge. I wouldn't call it stiff when on the snow. So, Liberty has another hit here and I would say that the Evolv84 could easily be a ONSQ for the East and a great 2 quiver ski for the west, especially if you aren't looking for a carver-centric ski. So, the elephant in the room, is V 82 or Evolv 84? Easy answer, want something more versatile? Go Evolv84, Want it more groomer focused? Go V 82. Yes, there is cross-over but just stick to where and what you are skiing and you will make the right choice.