• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Individual Review First impressions: Vist Crossover II with Vist Speedlock 412 bindings

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I purchased these beautiful Italian skis from @Walks here last month (the original for sale thread is here) and had the good fortune to take them up to the glacier on Mt. Hood in Oregon to try them out. About me: 50 years old, 5'9", 145 lbs., advanced skier who mostly likes to go fast on piste.

I dug up a Vist manual online and adjusted the bindings per their chart (based on height, weight, BSL, and ability). I made the trek up to Timberline where the Palmer lift is still running. The US Ski Team was up there doing tech training and it was great to watch them slalom down the hill. I saw a lot of Fischer, Rossignol, and Head skis.

This was my first time out on skis with such a narrow underfoot (131-77-111) and I was excited. At 7 am, it was a field of ice but the skis handled it no problem. I was able to easily catch an edge and never once felt unstable or out of control. The skis easily dispensed of the ice. Now I think I know what you East Coasters ski on!

By 9 am the snow had softened and it hit it's peak at 10 am. This was like riding a nice groomed run and man were the Vists sweet. Again, stability at speed was the order of the day whether I was straightlining or carving large or short turns. By this time I was settling in to the skis and starting to flex them. I started to think the bindings were really what made this setup so good. @Philpug said they were a steal. I don't think I've ever felt so planted or connected to the snow.

By 11 am it was really soft, with piles of snow on the hill, deeper tracks, some slush, and an occasional ice patch. The wide shovels on the Crossovers just plowed through anything in their path. Again, the skis just felt incredibly stable and capable. I started thinking to myself about the reviews you all wrote on the Blossom White Out, which has the same shape and dimensions and comes out of the same factory that made these skis. Same as the Hart Pulse too. They just got it right apparently.

Top to bottom was 10 minutes round trip and according to ski tracks I got in 23 runs and 19k vertical feet in about 3 hours.

However, I was shocked when I looked down at at the app and saw my top speed for the day was 62.8 mph. I honestly thought I was in the low to mid 40s because the skis were just that stable and easy. Prior to this, the fastest I have ever skied was 50 mph on my J Skis Masterblasters -- and I didn't want to push those skis any harder. I don't feel like I found the top end of the Vists. @Walks told me to expect that. He was right.

All of this makes me wonder why we don't see too many narrow skis out West here. When I was in Vail, there were a lot of International skiers with beautiful Stockli and Kastle skis. But up in Tahoe it's a lot of 90-100 skis even from the people who stay on the groomers. I personally cannot wait to take these on some longer groomed runs in Tahoe.

A big thanks to Pugski because I would've never considered skis this narrow or anything with plate bindings if I hadn't come here.

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_4459.PNG

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Glad you enjoyed your mid-fat all-mountain skis :ogbiggrin: (yeah, things change).

In answer to your question I think it's because with the readily available deep snow off-piste skiing, few people have incentive to purchase skinny skis; they all want a ski that does really well in the deep, and never learn to access the true performance of a narrow ski, and thus, typically if and when they try one they feel the penalty and extra attention required, especially when not on a good hard surface, but don't get the reason for it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Glad you enjoyed your mid-fat all-mountain skis :ogbiggrin: (yeah, things change).

In answer to your question I think it's because with the readily available deep snow off-piste skiing, few people have incentive to purchase skinny skis; they all want a ski that does really well in the deep, and never learn to access the true performance of a narrow ski, and thus, typically if and when they try one they feel the penalty and extra attention required, especially when not on a good hard surface, but don't get the reason for it.

Ironically, Tahoe was one of the hot spots for hypercarving 20 years ago - as much as the US had hot spots. Both on super skinny skis and alpine snowboards.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Love, love, love my WhiteOuts...
Really excited about getting some #1SC Blossoms for a bit different ride.
Why anyone runs a ski over 77mm on a groomer is a mystery to me.
The Blossom wide tip, straight tail design has a lot of float if you need it and the tail releases like few other skis.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
For many years, I skied the Hart Pulse (now in retirement at the Pugski garage), and, always found them to be excellent in just about all eastern conditions, including spring skiing. I would bring them to the western Pugski Gatherings, where less than optimal conditions are encountered. Many days, I'd be smiling while others lamented hard snow and wide skis. For how I ski, there is a certain magic that occurs in a well made 78'ish waist ski. The Vist 78's deserve the great reports, glad you are smiling also!

I remember seeing the thread where you purchased them. At 176, they are more a big-boy ski than my modest speeds need. Originally owned a 176, bought from @Philpug when he was still a Philly guy. Sold them to @HeluvaSkier who rocks as a GS skier, then, rebought 170's from @FairToMiddlin, sent them to Phil last year. I'd buy the same 170 ski any day.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sold them to @HeluvaSkier who rocks as a GS skier, then, rebought 170's from @FairToMiddlin, sent them to Phil last year. I'd buy the same 170 ski any day.
There is a longer history there...going back to 2007 or so. First the graphics for the hart Pulse were designed one morning in @Ron's condo in Steamboat when I was working with Hart. The 170's that Mike is referring to were actully a mixed pair, @FairToMiddlin had these originally and broke one of the skis skiing a chute at Mammoth, he picked up a single replacement ski from @Bob Barnes when Bob was working with hart. This is why there are two right graphics. Plates on these skis are a Head race plate with a green/black Elan sourced Tyrolia binding. When hart was having their last "Cleaning out the Closet" sale, @Tricia picked up a pair of 176's for me for memory sake since I did the original graphic. This is very well the last pair unmounted and I don't see ever drilling then..if I did, I have a pair of kiwi Pivots earmarked for them. @Andy Mink also picked up a pair of the clearence skis from Hart in a 162.
8FCF6773-3126-4731-9033-208C23DA9791.jpeg

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This was my first time out on skis with such a narrow underfoot (131-77-111) and I was excited. At 7 am, it was a field of ice but the skis handled it no problem. I was able to easily catch an edge and never once felt unstable or out of control. The skis easily dispensed of the ice. Now I think I know what you East Coasters ski on!

Easily catch an edge? Not sure that is what you really wanted to say.

A 77 waist ski is a fat ski for the NE. :ogcool:

All of this makes me wonder why we don't see too many narrow skis out West here. When I was in Vail, there were a lot of International skiers with beautiful Stockli and Kastle skis. But up in Tahoe it's a lot of 90-100 skis even from the people who stay on the groomers. I personally cannot wait to take these on some longer groomed runs in Tahoe.

Different stroke for different folks. It's all in the demographics.
Vail & Beaver Creek. The skiers are more brand conscious. Expensive = better. Gotta have the best.
Tahoe - Skinny sticks aren't cool. Gotta be cool.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
This was my first time out on skis with such a narrow underfoot (131-77-111) and I was excited. At 7 am, it was a field of ice but the skis handled it no problem. I was able to easily catch SET an edge and never once felt unstable or out of control. The skis easily dispensed of the ice. Now I think I know what you East Coasters ski on!

FIFY.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I predict those will end up with me.
Is that based on the length and the fact that AMink has a few... "ahem"... pounds on you?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Is that based on the length and the fact that AMink has a few... "ahem"... pounds on you?
You might very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Thanks for fixing that. I’m not so good on ski terms.

Renewed my EPIC Pass in the hopes that I can get these out to Heavenly or Northstar this winter and really open them up. Although honestly I don’t think I need to be going more than 60mph. These skis made that feel so easy though!

Walks

Booting up
Skier
Alright, Dougb, if you're trying to make me regret selling these to you it's working! Seriously, though, I'm both envious and happy to hear you've already put in some turns on them. Nice to know your first impressions are so positive. I look forward to future updates.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Alright, Dougb, if you're trying to make me regret selling these to you it's working! Seriously, though, I'm both envious and happy to hear you've already put in some turns on them. Nice to know your first impressions are so positive. I look forward to future updates.

@Walks you told me they have no top end and in that very short run I couldn’t find it. Although 62mph is plenty fast for these old bones! I’m excited to get them out next season.

TS
Dougb

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Long Term Update: I now have 10 days and about 92,000 vertical feet on these skis and I can emphatically say two things about them: (1) they instill supreme confidence and (2) they have made me a better skier.

As reported, I skied these at Timberline and then put 9 days on them in Tahoe at Kirkwood and Heavenly. I've skied them on pretty much everything but fresh powder. The edge control on hardpack is superb and those fat shovels dispense with anything they encounter on mixed conditions. They simply never move.

On groomers these are incredible. They carve like nothing else I've ever skied and my carving abilities have dramatically improved as they push me to the best skier I can. Pure joy.

On moguls and in Heavenly's trees they are fun and much easier to turn than I expected. I have even taken them in the park to jump and weave through obstacles.

I now see why so many people here love the Blossom White Out as this is the same ski with a different label.

Many of you bikers know the talk about "planing." This involves a bike's geometry matching up with it's rider so they can get more performance from less work. An optimum setup increases the power output for rider and bike... the more the rider puts in, the more they get out. These skis and bindings "plane" on the mountain for me.

Thanks to this site for moving me toward trying narrow skis and plate bindings. I never would've done it on my own.

tempImage390S3W.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Tis a good looking ski. VIST basically chased all the dealers away, afaik. Impossible to deal with. Maybe Blossom is getting better these days, don’t know, starting not to care. You have to beg them to sell skis. They basically had what Augment is now taking over and is much better at - getting you the product.

Sponsor

Staff online