• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

First Boot Fitting

ChrisMcCandless

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Live in Southern California so I don't have too many options. I went to see the boot fitter and he measured me at a 26.5. Narrow. Low Arches. My feet have limited flexibility I think is what he said, not sure on the exact terminology, 6 degrees in 1 foot, and 10 in the other. I have a ridiculous amount of overpronation on my left foot, and a tad bit less on my right. Big calves as well. He had me try on the Tecnica Mach Sport LV 100($400) and the Mach Sport LV 130($800, bright orange. Might have been a Mach 1) I think.

He didn't have too many options in a narrow profile he said. I tried the 2 and have an appointment tomorrow to try on some more.(Again, limited selection unfortunately) He's going to make some foot beds for me and add a heel lift(maybe a heel cup is what he said?). I've never had a boot fitting done, and don't want to waste my money. Next closest shop to me is a 2 hour drive and I really don't want to make that every time I need an adjustment.

I asked about canting and he said I would probably be a good candidate for that due to how much , but he doesn't have the equipment available to do that. Recommended Footloose in Mammoth, but again 5-6 hour drive.

I'm an intermediate to advanced skier. I spend 90% of the time in the park. Going to try to get out twice a week this season.

Any advice? Anything I should be asking him for? Pretty clueless on this, I've only used rental boots that a shop sold me for $50, so I'm sure any boot is going to be an improvement over those. He pushed Tecnica quite a bit as he was a product tester for them. Said he was impressed with what they had to offer when he was testing different boots. Let me know if you need more info.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
With your limited options it sounds like he is doing the best to help you. Since you pronate a good amount, I woudl start with the footbed before settling in shell size especially if you have a low volume foot, you very well could drop to a 25.5 shell. The Tecnica LV is a good lower volume bit but there are others, what other brnads does he carry? Does he have boots like the Nordica Pro Machine or Head Raptor, Lange RX or RS LV, a couple of other good lower volume options.

TS
C

ChrisMcCandless

Skier
With your limited options it sounds like he is doing the best to help you. Since you pronate a good amount, I woudl start with the footbed before settling in shell size especially if you have a low volume foot, you very well could drop to a 25.5 shell. The Tecnica LV is a good lower volume bit but there are others, what other brnads does he carry? Does he have boots like the Nordica Pro Machine or Head Raptor, Lange RX or RS LV, a couple of other good lower volume options.

I think he had a few Atomic, Head, Lange, and Nordica. I'm not sure on the models though. Thank you for the info :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think he had a few Atomic, Head, Lange, and Nordica. I'm not sure on the models though. Thank you for the info :)
Yeah, everyone of those brands have a low volume option. The Tecnica still might be the best for your foot but not because that is who he is sponsored by. But address the pronation before trying another option.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s worth the drive to Footloose IMHO. I live in Big Bear and have found the fitters at Footloose to be far superior to anyone I. SoCal. Ask for Kevin.

ETA: I hesitate to recommend this guy. Many locals call him the boot Nazi and I, personally, ended up in boots that were too big despite my constant protestations. However, others have had great experience with him and a few folks on here like him quite a bit. @Rainbow Jenny and @agreen. Claude at https://www.skinetsports.com/
He is in LA so closer than Mammoth.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Sounds to me like your boot fitter is mostly on track. However, if you truly have a low instep, the current Salomon S-max is one of the lowest roofed boots available. The Tecnica are one of the higher.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any boot fitter that checks ankle dorsi and accommodates for it is well trained imo.

TS
C

ChrisMcCandless

Skier
Hopefully someone on this site has some insight for me.

Fitter said he didn't want to put me in custom insoles as he thought given what he saw with my feet it might not end up helping.

So he only had the two options of which only the Atomic Hawx Ultra 120S https://shop.atomic.com/en/products/hawx-ultra-120-s-ae0001168.html
Left foot (Bigger of the two feet) fit perfectly everywhere. Toe came off the front when putting pressure on the cuff, putting heel pressure and my toe didn't jam into the front. The right foot(smaller of the two feet) however was giving me issues which stumped my fitter. My right foot kept coming forward with my big toe pushing against the front when I applied heel pressure. My right leg felt much more angled than my left when the Hawx on, almost like the right boot was flexing way more than the left(Kind of hard to explain. Say the angle of my left leg was 90 degrees, the right felt like it was bending to 80 degrees). He said that was impossible as they are the exact same boot. Only thing he can think is that its the lack of flexibility in my ankles, although my right foot with the issues has the least flexibility(6 Degrees), so it doesn't make sense that it feels like its flexing the boot more. Hopefully that makes sense.

If the right foot felt as good as the left, I would have new boots right now. I couldn't pull the trigger with the issues on my right foot. $700+ is a lot of money for not 100% certainty the boot will work.

Thanks to anyone that reads through this. If anybody has any thoughts let me know please. If you need clarification let me know, kind of a confusing problem. Probably going to have to trek up to Footloose.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My right leg felt much more angled than my left when the Hawx on, almost like the right boot was flexing way more than the left(Kind of hard to explain. Say the angle of my left leg was 90 degrees, the right felt like it was bending to 80 degrees). He said that was impossible as they are the exact same boot. Only thing he can think is that its the lack of flexibility in my ankles, although my right foot with the issues has the least flexibility(6 Degrees), so it doesn't make sense that it feels like its flexing the boot more. Hopefully that makes sense.

Your right leg feeling like it's flexing more makes sense. You're describing sensations. And because that leg is less flexible, you will feel more. Say the forward angle is 14˚. If your flexible left ankle naturally flexes to 16˚, going to 14˚ is easy and doesn't give any sensation. But if your less flexible right ankle gets cranky at 12˚, getting it to 14˚ is going to give you more sensation due to the stretch.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My left ankle has bone inhibited dorsiflexion and I need heel lifts for this reason. However, I have actually bent the ankle buckle on this boot because, over the years, I have developed a bad habit of applying more body weight there to “force” the ankle to flex more. It doesn’t work but it “feels” like it does and that results in that boot feeling “softer” than the right boot.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
My right leg felt much more angled than my left when the Hawx on, almost like the right boot was flexing way more than the left(Kind of hard to explain. Say the angle of my left leg was 90 degrees, the right felt like it was bending to 80 degrees). He said that was impossible as they are the exact same boot. Only thing he can think is that its the lack of flexibility in my ankles, although my right foot with the issues has the least flexibility(6 Degrees), so it doesn't make sense that it feels like its flexing the boot more. Hopefully that makes sense..

Occam's razor sez: As you flex your heel is coming up a lot and creating a longer lever arm for you to press against the cuff. It feels like the same force but the pivot point is shifted so you're bending it further.

Of course Occam's razor is sharp enough to cut the wielder, and cannot be trusted as the final answer.

Give Footloose a try.

Pat AKA mustski

Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Occam's razor sez: As you flex your heel is coming up a lot and creating a longer lever arm for you to press against the cuff. It feels like the same force but the pivot point is shifted so you're bending it further.

Of course Occam's razor is sharp enough to cut the wielder, and cannot be trusted as the final answer.

Give Footloose a try.
Actually, yes. I have experienced this in every boot I have ever owned because that foot is also VERY narrow. Boot doc liners solved that problem for me (although I still bent the buckle) and others have had zip fit solve that problem also. It sounds like you NEED an experienced, well equipped fitter. It’s worth the drive and a good excuse to go skiing! Mammoth is open! I also recommend Bud Heishmann in Reno. He’s 10 minutes from Mt. Rose which is also open! It is a further drive though.

TS
C

ChrisMcCandless

Skier

Give Footloose a try.

Actually, yes. I have experienced this in every boot I have ever owned because that foot is also VERY narrow. Boot doc liners solved that problem for me (although I still bent the buckle) and others have had zip fit solve that problem also. It sounds like you NEED an experienced, well equipped fitter. It’s worth the drive and a good excuse to go skiing! Mammoth is open! I also recommend Bud Heishmann in Reno. He’s 10 minutes from Mt. Rose which is also open! It is a further drive though.

Thanks for the info all. Very kind of you.

Last edited: