• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fire Season in Summit County, CO

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It looked like the area might have been on fire again this week from the cloud emanating from the area. It fortunately was just a cloud of dust being kicked up by the cool winds we have been experiencing.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There are a couple of fires that just started today. One is near Grand Lake which is the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. This fire is in the vicinity of buildings. The other is on Ute Pass. These aren't technically in Summit County but close enough.

Breckenridge has cancelled their fireworks already and we are in Stage 1 restrictions.

Fire Bans and Restrictions <- lists the various Stages of bans and restrictions

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
There are a couple of fires that just started today. One is near Grand Lake which is the west entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. This fire is in the vicinity of buildings. The other is on Ute Pass. These aren't technically in Summit County but close enough.

Breckenridge has cancelled their fireworks already and we are in Stage 1 restrictions.

Fire Bans and Restrictions <- lists the various Stages of bans and restrictions

Jefferson Co here with Stage 2 fire restrictions already but even without official restrictions basically the entire state is bone dry and extra care should be taken regardless more so in the mountains.

Super dry here today 100º and 1% humidity (seems low but that is what its reading, should be about 8%) according to my weather station.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We just got bumped up to Stage 2.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fireworks canceled at Frisco and Copper too. Looks like it's going to cool off a little, but no significant precipitation in the forecast, unfortunately.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Frisco/Dillon did too.

:(

I had heard that. I had hoped to 'borrow' a buddy's boat at his dock in Frisco to watch from.

I went for a bike ride today and the trails weren't just dusty, they were deep in dust.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter

Magi

Instructor
Instructor

Yeah - there were/are two fires in Grand County. Thursday was *real* smokey over here in Winter Park. One smallish fire near a Grand Lake golf course and one further out (that's the one nearing Summit County)

The Town of Winter Park's 4th of July fireworks have been cancelled due to fire danger - and I *really* hope that people avoid being idiots about setting off personal explosions.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah - there were/are two fires in Grand County. Thursday was *real* smokey over here in Winter Park. One smallish fire near a Grand Lake golf course and one further out (that's the one nearing Summit County)

The Town of Winter Park's 4th of July fireworks have been cancelled due to fire danger - and I *really* hope that people avoid being idiots about setting off personal explosions.

'Personal explosions' are always illegal in CO. The only personal fireworks you can have are ground based. I don't think Roman candles are ever legal, either. The fireworks permitted aren't allowed to shoot or leave the ground.

It has been pretty quiet around here, explosion-wise. Usually the boomers start on the weekend before the holiday as people can't resist firing them off before the holiday itself.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I think it was the Weston fire I saw.

Before I saw the notices about the Weston fire, I had noticed what appeared to be smoke, not clouds 'over' Red Mt. south of Breck. Smoke plumes are apparently deceiving as it was probably the Weston fire another 30 - 40 miles further south. I looked it up as soon as I got home and realized I was right, it was a smoke plume, just not in Summit. Thank nature. I feel for the folks in Park, though.

Sponsor

Staff online