• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fire Season in Summit County, CO

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I hope they get it under control quickly. The 416 fire near Durango is now over 23,000 acres with many evacuated, including Purgatory Resort. The Burro fire is also in the area and near 3000 acres. Hope for rain this weekend!

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Buffalo Mountain Fire, Day 2: No overnight growth, fire at 0 percent containment

and

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/06/13/summit-county-silverthorne-buffalo-mountain-fire/

The fire is being well managed due to extremely fast response, large number of responders and fire breaks. I haven't seen any more recent reports than the one I'm posting here. Note in the map in the first link that shows how the fire is wedged between two large areas of residences. It is amazing and a testament to the dedication of our firefighters that not a single structure has been damaged at this time.

It is currently sunny, breezy and warm. All bad things for fires.

My heart goes out to my friends and neighbors in Summit County, Colorado and all the other locations that are under evacuation and threat of fire.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Buffalo Mountain Fire, Day 2: No overnight growth, fire at 0 percent containment

and

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/06/13/summit-county-silverthorne-buffalo-mountain-fire/

The fire is being well managed due to extremely fast response, large number of responders and fire breaks. I haven't seen any more recent reports than the one I'm posting here. Note in the map in the first link that shows how the fire is wedged between two large areas of residences. It is amazing and a testament to the dedication of our firefighters that not a single structure has been damaged at this time.

It is currently sunny, breezy and warm. All bad things for fires.

My heart goes out to my friends and neighbors in Summit County, Colorado and all the other locations that are under evacuation and threat of fire.

OMG, mad props to whoever is flying the DC-10's. So so close to the terrain. This is extremely dangerous work. WOW.

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.19.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 3.18.52 PM.png

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I've been seeing pictures posted on FB. This fire season is crazy!

There is a fire near Carson City that was started by campers burning poop in a hole.

Many people just don't think anymore. Here is a fire I put out last 4th of July. Totally abandoned, still burning right next to a popular dirt road.

20160704_090721.jpg

The camera doesn't pick it up, but there were full on flames.

20160704_090742.jpg

This is the location on Boreas Pass. Water was only a short drive away.

It bears repeating. Many people just don't think anymore.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Doug Briggs I remember your post about that last year. Makes my heart hurt thinking about what could have happened.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Regrettably there are frequent reports of unattended fires. Even while the air is full of smoke from active fires.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Stay Safe to all our PUG Skiers in harms way out west.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Is the red stuff in those photos the fire retardant that the planes drop?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is an area near Summerset that still has a red tinge to it where they dropped fire retardant last summer.

TS
Doug Briggs

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I believe so. You can see some of the townhomes got a free coating, too. I wonder how hard this stuff is to remove? Not that the residents will mind. What got put down assuredly saved their homes. The authorities did warn that retardant, when wet, is slippery so to be careful driving if it rains.

Sponsor