• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fire at factory that produces Fischer skis.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
I believe Fischer is the last large family owned ski company.

Excellent products can be made anywhere. My new Head e-Supershapes were made in the Czech Republic. The quality all depends on what the owners want...and sometimes on how closely they watch the process. My Stöcklis are not excellent just because they were made in Switzerland; they are excellent because the Swiss owners wanted them to be excellent.

Less about what brand ownership wants, and more about QA processes that are in place at the factory. If you have a brand that comes in, and the QA / sourcing people for that brand work closely with the production and QA teams at the factory (and they should be seperae divisions / separate managements / separate payrolls) it tends to raise the QA element of all brands produced there, with all brands benefiting.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Plant that employs 1,000 people in the Ukraine and also produces hockey sticks and running shoe? And some people question the quality of skis produced by artisan manufacturers in the US.......

Yes. I do. Because a plant that employs 1,000 people and hads a wide range of production capabilities has processes and testing capabilities that the artisan in his garage can only dream about.

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'd assume that Czech factory is Sporten, they make for a lot of suppliers [and under their own name]. When I visited there were skis from just about every brand you can imagine.

They also do a lot of work for microbrands who ''own' [cough] their molds - but if you check the specs out they are identical save for a +/- .5mm or so to other microbrands who 'own' their molds too. Nothing wrong with that for the record - they do a lot of can you make me 2000 using this graphic type business.

They also now own/share ownership with Kastle

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd assume that Czech factory is Sporten, they make for a lot of suppliers [and under their own name]. When I visited there were skis from just about every brand you can imagine.

They also do a lot of work for microbrands who ''own' [cough] their molds - but if you check the specs out they are identical save for a +/- .5mm or so to other microbrands who 'own' their molds too. Nothing wrong with that for the record - they do a lot of can you make me 2000 using this graphic type business.

They also now own/share ownership with Kästle
According to my connections, the factory was primarily a producer for Fischer and no affiliation with Sporten/Kastle.

James

Out There
Instructor
Just wanted to point out that Joseph Fischer Jr died at 90 in August this year.

josef-fischer.jpg

skipress

Getting off the lift
Skier
According to my connections, the factory was primarily a producer for Fischer and no affiliation with Sporten/Kästle.

Yes completely different factories.... and indeed country :).

They both are large contract producers but AFIK the Ukraine factory is actually owned by Fisher whereas Sporten/Kastle is sporten Kastle - and in the main relies on producing skis for other brands.

Sponsor

Staff online