• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Finishing the Garage, Ideas Please

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Honestly I think the most important things are light, then dedicated power circuits, and then temperature comfort. You can work with whatever the walls are whether drywall or ply or slat or concrete. If there isn't sufficient light and power, it's going to suck.

In 12.5 to 14 weeks, a bulldozer is going to drive through my house and we are rebuilding the "last" house, or so I've been told by the boss. As part of the deal, I'm getting a space that's 11x21 feet interior dimension with a barn door/garage on one end, so I've been planning the new workshop in meticulous detail. I'll have 12 feet overhead and poured concrete walls. And I'm still not sure what light to use. I do know that I've got a separate sub panel with dedicated circuits, including two separate 220s. The centerpiece is the item below cast in 1918, salvaged from the Norfolk Navy Yard and then converted to a woodworking lathe. Will hold 8.5 foot stock.

So, I guess I've learned a few things. 1) planning this sort of thing can be a hell of a lot of fun, 2) you can never have enough independent circuits, 3) lighting is more important than anything else, and 4) @Lorenzzo is 100% correct.

View attachment 13843
View attachment 13845
View attachment 13846
My dad used one of those to bore holes for his cannon barrels.
I have one of his 1/2 scale versions, which was a gift to me back in 1987. Cannon was built in 1976 for the Nation's Bicentennial.

100_2846.JPG

@Bob Barnes has one in bronze that is 1/3 scale.
Anyway......we don't likely need a Lathe in our garage, but my dad....that's a different story.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
:pug::thumb: You trophy hunter, you!

JeffB

ODAT
Skier
Having moved back in to rebuilt house a few months ago, took a few days during spring break “staycation” earlier this month to start putting woodshop together. Still figuring it all out, but did settle on 1 plywood wall with French cleats, mostly mobile tool carts, and central table saw with out feed table of same height that will also serve as a hybrid woodworkers bench. Everything is done with 3/4 ply and mobile carts have heavy duty locking casters. Dust collection currently is just shop vacs, which i now realize will need to change . I do have overhead air filtration, not pictured, but it’s not enough in an 11x21 shop if the big sander is running. I do have 3 240 volt circuits and a few floor outlets I need to finish. Then will re-wire the table saw to run on 240 and have it plugged into floor.

Still a work in progress, but has been a fun few days.

D6C8943B-6C96-4D65-8635-0F6C1FEE5165.jpeg
106EBC7E-2988-47C6-A79B-571E41624ED9.jpeg
80AA33B3-BED0-4DE5-A512-0673D056526E.jpeg

A3473096-D145-485E-BBEE-5F6CF45E131C.jpeg
0E20436B-1A7A-48D1-B493-259F48573686.jpeg

Attachments

• A798CD81-EB68-4BD4-86A6-3CE4707AD002.jpeg
    A798CD81-EB68-4BD4-86A6-3CE4707AD002.jpeg
    96.1 KB · Views: 4
  • C6A22D6F-FC1F-47EB-BB69-2C77C7085EC9.jpeg
    C6A22D6F-FC1F-47EB-BB69-2C77C7085EC9.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 5

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A garage has to be about multifunctioning and priorities. Some very wise and well loved in-laws (unfortunately gone from this Earth) had it right. They hung a very large sign over the roll-up door stating very accurately, " 2 Car Bar and Garage".

How you finish it off depends a lot on how much you use it for the first part.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can find some industrial latex that will seal and paint that in one shot. We did a few factories with some stuff that bonded to everyting. Call a paint store, no hardware store stuff.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I didn't know this thread existed... 'till now. I was actually in the garage remodeling business from 2003 to 2009. Had fun building it up and sold it to one of my sub contractors who still does well with it.

Everything you could possibly want to consider is somewhere on this forum: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

There are some really amazing projects posted there, much cooler than any of the stuff that I did for my clients, but I was in it for the money not the glory! My best clients were doctor's wives - if that tells you anything about my marketing strategy ogwink

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I didn't know this thread existed... 'till now. I was actually in the garage remodeling business from 2003 to 2009. Had fun building it up and sold it to one of my sub contractors who still does well with it.

Everything you could possibly want to consider is somewhere on this forum: https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/

There are some really amazing projects posted there, much cooler than any of the stuff that I did for my clients, but I was in it for the money not the glory! My best clients were doctor's wives - if that tells you anything about my marketing strategy ogwink
I am a member, actually a lurker on G.J., yes a great place to waste hours.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier

Thanks for sharing this garage forum. I am moving to a new home and will be setting up one side of a two car garage with all my tools so I need all the space saving idea I can get.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for sharing this garage forum. I am moving to a new home and will be setting up one side of a two car garage with all my tools so I need all the space saving idea I can get.
GarageJounal is a great site, like here, you can easily get lost there for hours. There are also great ideas on Pinterest.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, with the time that we have not skiing this summer...I am again thinking about getting the garage/shop done. Since we are Miataless for the foreseable future, the 3rd bay will be dedicated to be a shop.
Pano
IMG_1855.jpeg
IMG_1856.jpeg

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
Paint it, flat white. Then get a bunch of those LED shop lights and put them up.

Sponsor

Staff online