• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fingerless Road Gloves

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not sure how much there is to explain, really. Bike rolling friction is far less than ski sliding friction. Find a 200 foot hill with a 6% road off it. If you can't hit 50mph, look for the aero culprit(s).
I'm assuming straighter the better. Most of the hills roads around here are pretty twisty.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
... as are pretty any light riding/xc ski/ bc ski full fingered glove riding in temps below 50f. We're talking fingerless here.

Anyhow, anyone here prefer less padding for road biking? I do for sure, but I'm pretty sure I'm an outlier.
For road cycling, my favorite glove is the Giro Zero II, it use to be a leather palm, but is now a synthetic palm and a mesh back. I go fingerless once the temperature is above 60 (same thing with my knees - only wear shorts above 60. Below 60 I cover the knees and wear full finger gloves or thin glove liners under a slightly larger fitting fingerless glove.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Oddly enough, I get into this weird flow zone on downhills. I'm not as fearless as I was, and I was fearless... was pretty funny after a race when others said "that scared the shit out me following you." "Yeah, well that's for making me puke on the climb."... On a MTB though, not so much. Most painful crash ever on one going downhill. Trees, rocks, etc... no thanks.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I don’t want to hit 50. My sphincter gets pretty tight past 40.

Absolutely forever ago (2013-ish?) I had a thread about this on Epicski - I was getting dropped on downhills. By lighter guys - wtf? And I kept up better on honking '80s and '90s iron than on this-century carbon?

As you can imagine, I was nowhere near aero. And my "aero attempt" position was making the bike so terrifyingly twitchy that I was more scared descending on the bike than on brakeless inline skates.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Starting to ride earlier in the season, more often and longer, so putting on more wear than usual.
Just order three pairs of gloves for the new season. 2x Castelli Arenberg and 1 Pearl Elite.

Here's good health to everyone.
Let us know how you like the Arenbergs. I just got the Unlimiteds and they are great.

Short answer: Castelli Arenbergs are very acceptable.

Well, got my longest ride in with the new Arenbergs. Ride was 48 miles, 3600ft gains, and 4 hrs. The gloves held up well. I like the little tabs that help putting on the gloves. The fingerless fingers are a little short, which makes taking them off a little harder. Overall, don't feel much of a difference vs my other gloves (specialized, pearl izumi).

I'm looking for a glove to help reduce hand/finger numbness that seems to appear after 1.5hrs.
Part of the issue is probably not changing hand position enough, and holding the bars too tight.

I'm starting to think the padding is too thick on my gloves. Anyone have a favorite thin pad glove?
I'll review this thread for those already mentioned.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm starting to think the padding is too thick on my gloves. Anyone have a favorite thin pad glove?

I've said this before and probably sound like a broken record, but: Specialized Grail. Yes, they're marketed as a MTB glove but they're great on the road. I have them in long finger and they are 100% my favorite glove. There's some weird very thin padding to fill in the dent of your palm, but none in the traditional places. I'm just waiting the Castelli Arenbergs to die before I can justify buying the fingerless version.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Talking of weird foam - if any of you have a bar tape re-wrap coming up - you can get Poron XRD from vet supply shops.

Put some of that under your touch points. Guaranteed weirder than EVA padding *cough* Bontrager isozone *cough*

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Short answer: Castelli Arenbergs are very acceptable.

Well, got my longest ride in with the new Arenbergs. Ride was 48 miles, 3600ft gains, and 4 hrs. The gloves held up well. I like the little tabs that help putting on the gloves. The fingerless fingers are a little short, which makes taking them off a little harder. Overall, don't feel much of a difference vs my other gloves (specialized, pearl izumi).

I'm looking for a glove to help reduce hand/finger numbness that seems to appear after 1.5hrs.
Part of the issue is probably not changing hand position enough, and holding the bars too tight.

I'll review this thread for those already mentioned.

Try loosening the closure strap a bit. Pressure on the back of the wrist can make fingers tingle.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Plus, riding a road bike is just a very weird thing to do to your body. Gotta give slack for that. Everything is an attempt to make it less bad. If your expectation is that with the right gear and bike fit you will be comfy all the time, give it up. You will be less miserable. That's it.

Signed, Eeyore

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Not enough sleep so I thought this would apply for those that need fingerless gloves. Pick your colour.

iu

:duck:

princo

Getting off the lift
Skier
Any recommendations for full synthetic gloves that could withstand being washed after every use?

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
So what's the objection to Velcro on bike gloves? I'm a mostly-roadie and the only gloves I've had in the last 30 or so years that didn't have Velcro I really didn't like. I think they were Specialized. I used to ride Performance-branded gloves; when a pair wore out I'd toss 'em and get a new pair on sale.