• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Find me a jacket*

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Looking for a new jacket for next season......

Will be paired w Spyder Coach's bigs (burlap).

Would like it to really be helmet compatible..... I'm a size small & many hoods don't seem to work in this size.

Needs over mit cuffs!

Considering:
- Patagguci Rubicon
- Colorado Freeride Systems

Thanks in advance!

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
- jacket for next season......
Would like it to really be helmet compatible..... I'm a size small & many hoods don't seem to work in this size.
Considering:
- Patagguci Rubicon
- Colorado Freeride Systems
I feel your pain! I really hate that too. Put the helmet over the hood, zip up and darned collar pulls my chin, and that's with the ones I actually can zip closed!
Haven't tried the two you're considering.
I have around a half dozen jackets on order, size Small and Medium. I'll post an update, let you know if any work out.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I feel your pain! I really hate that too. Put the helmet over the hood, zip up and darned collar pulls my chin, and that's with the ones I actually can zip closed!
Haven't tried the two you're considering.
I have around a half dozen jackets on order, size Small and Medium. I'll post an update, let you know if any work out.

Seriously! What's up w this? I have a ton of hoodie puffy jackets that won't zip up over the helmet & won't fully zip w the hood down. I usually invert the hood & zip as high as possible- tons of heat leakage though.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I was thinking that @TheBestSkier would reply but I still really like the Antero II+ shell. Its very thin but seemingly checks all the boxes for fit and function. You can pull the hood up as you want. So, I would try to reach him and they do offer a very liberal return policy. They have a good fit guide for their designs but I find them to be larger than most but not baggy. try the small and see if it works. Keep in mind that you will want to layer up with this shell. I wear a nano air with a base layer and I'm good to about 10-15 but thats here in CO. I wear a thicker base plus a Rab Alpha 40 gram for down to zero.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have two Eddie Bauer Weather Edge Shell/Jackets one is over 15 years old and just starting to let in a little moisture. The other is first season and used it today in the storm with no problems. Worth every penny of what I payer, they are on sale now on the Eddie Bauer website.

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
arcteryx and flylow have some of the biggest hoods... I don't have any experience with Colorado Freeride so can't comment. Patagucci even though they say it's helmet compatible their hoods are not big enough!

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
16992529_1365672283470787_2795519966535695258_o.jpg

TheBestSkier

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Antero 2 Plus hood is ginormous! It will swallow your helmet whole. The collar isn't attached to the hood so it is really easy to pull the hood up or down while the collar is zipped up. We have small and small talls in various colors and nothing looks anything like that thing @slowrider posted. I can't stop looking at it. How much @slowrider ? I have a small yellow Antero 2 Plus that I could do a sweet deal on.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
@Brian Finch the yellow is a good color. its not bright or loud. oh and the 2-way zipper is so sweet when trying to take a piss and not having to unzip everything. especially when doing so outside on a cold honkin' day,,,,

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I picked up an Antero II+ midway through this season. The hood / collar design is awesome as they work independently and cinch independently. Inside / outside chest pockets are very handy. The zippers spec'd on them are also very easy to operate with thick gloves/mitts compared to most other jackets I've had on. Fabric has a light stretch which is nice for a hardshell. It's also quite light.

If I was only skiing inbounds I'd considered the II for slightly more insulation at the cost of weight and a bit of waterproofness.

The only thing I'm a bit put off by is the lack of skin pockets. You can still get a platypus water bottle or other small bits in there.

Finish and support from the company is also pretty awesome. I've never gotten more direct and helpful communications with another clothing vendor. They really stand behind their stuff.

Of course, hard to go wrong with Patagonia and their warranty.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
Here's the pants- so opione away folks.

Orange looks hot as well!! Damn hot!
IMG_2100.PNG

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Those pants look rad. I mean...aesthetically they're kinda meh. But functionally they look bomber.

CFS jacket colors change frequently. Message them to get the scope on what colors will be available when.

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Industry Insider
I could google but maybe you could tell me. Do you know what fabrics are being used throughout? They look durable. My friends would yell "theres a bug on you" and slap the spider.

Think it's Torey & cordura

Sponsor