• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fill the Seats at the Paralympics

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
There is a push to raise money so that kids in Brazil can attend the Paralympics.
https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/brazilian-kids-to-the-paralympics-filltheseats

We have a friend who is going to Rio, if he's not already there.

Fill the seats!
Campaign Updates:

*Tuesday 23rd: Campaign now live and incredibly Paralympians Hannah and Tatyana McFadden first to follow with very generous donation.

Wednesday 24th: Coldplay back the campaign via @coldplay twitter account.

Thursday 25th: Incredible donations from all around the world - we reached our target.

Friday 26th: #savetheparalympics has agreed to donate their crowd funds to #filltheseats. At a minimum that's another $4,000 dollars on top of the above.

The story...

The Olympics are over for another four years but there is more magic to come. The Paralympics open in Rio on September 7th - but they need your help.

We need to help fill the seats. We do not want some of the greatest athletes in the world participating in empty stadia. And we do not want to send the wrong message about the importance of disability sports at this critical time for the world.

There is the chance for us all to do something about it and help change attitudes to disability at the same time.

For every $15/€13/£10 raised, the International Paralympic Committee will ask the Rio 2016 Organising Committee to invite a Brazilian child to attend the Games for free. We want to help fill as many seats as possible with children and people with physical impairments who can witness the power of Paralympic sport.

Every penny, every cent, everything raised will go to the official International Paralympic Committee’s charity - the Agitos Foundation - based in Germany and they have agreed to work with Rio 2016 to distribute the funds.

Recent decades have seen massive advances in Paralympic sport and the attitude of the world to disability. We should make sure that the success of recent Games is repeated. Please help the Rio Paralympics achieve another milestone on the road to understanding disability and how the human spirit can overcome it.

Our Paralympians inspire us all and show what is possible. Let's show them what we can do.

***Campaign now live and kicked off with incredible donations from @TatyanaMcFadden and @hannahbeamskiii - wow, legends.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Why shouldnt they just let them in? they could have used all the money for the olympics for some real good for their country.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Why shouldnt they just let them in? they could have used all the money for the olympics for some real good for their country.
I was actually thinking that. :thumb:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Would be nice of a fair number of athletes from the regular Olympics showed up to cheer their fellow Olympians on. Pretty sure if the Brazilian Mens and Womens soccer teams announced they were going a huge amount of tickets would be sold for the days they planned to be in the stands cheering.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Not to derail things, but I'm kinda pissed that the IPC banned the Russian paralympic team but the IOC didn't have the balls to ban the olympic team.

I also suspect that the IOC, with their $5 billion in revenue, could find a few spare bucks to pay their volunteers..but that is apparently against the spirit of the olympics..as is giving some tickets away for the paralympics. It is apparently a much higher calling to be gettin' cash money...

Sorry..back to your regularly scheduled programming.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe the money would be better spent helping to bring the athletes over to the games. Without them, there isnt much to see from the stands. From what i understand , a lot of countries depend on subsidies / grants from the organizing commitee. Apparently the money got spent on other last minute expenses for the main event.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a reasonable supporter of disabled water skiing, I have a bit of a feel for these athletes. I'm not sure that anything more than personal drive gets them competing. Spectators? Pretty far down the list. The back story coming out, pretty high. What these people have overcome is amazing but their spirit doesn't seem to be affected by the obstacles. As an aging competitor myself, I use them as inspiration and guidance to deal with my personal physical deterioration.

The TV coverage is far more important than full stands. I hope NBC does a good job with the Paralympics.

Banning the Russians for doping the Paralympic athletes might be the most misguided thing I have heard. So many other workarounds for their limits are in play that excluding medicines doesn't make sense. The playing field is not close to level. The health issues they face otherwise trivialize side effects from the drugs (and many banned drugs are needed for their health). To be sure, pumping someone full of steroids just so they can win a race is wrong. But if they get an improved quality of life from that drug - even to the extent that they can compete - I say good!

A really good disabled friend comitted suicide when his pain meds quit working. Are we that concerned with being drug free that we take away valuable options?

Eric

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The Soprano's could have taken lessons from the IOC.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is pretty cool
Paralympic athlete Amy Purdy will dance on running prosthetics for the Opening Ceremony of the Paralympic Games. This will be an amazing moment! Don't miss it!

Our friend, and Dalbello rep is in Rio for this.
Link to a video of his training ride.
Instagram video by Herbalife p/b MP - NB Cycling • Aug 16, 2016 at 6:28pm UTCwww.instagram.com
Opening Ceremonies September 7th.
14055109_10154032698208264_3511024970511396447_n.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sponsor