• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

"feel" once more

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I voiced the same opinion a few days ago about magazine reviews in a different thread. Most of the mainstream ski magazines don't provide a review, they provide marketing blurb. Every ski is a great ski, every ski is the best. Look for a criticism of a ski in a magazine review...very hard to find.

Without wanting to sound like a pugski fanboy, the 'Who is it for, who is it not for' review approach with a brief summary is gold (I hate long-technical analysis of skis). Take a look at the selection of subjective impressions from Head Titan reviews on this site (being my most recent ski purchase, and also a bit like the OP I love a damper, solid ski and wanted versatility for local conditions):

pulls across the hill with power and enthusiasm
excels with maneuverability and composure
stable and precise
can be skied a size longer, and still feel nimble

For me that gives me all the info I need about a skis feel.
Thank you very much reassurance like this reminds us that we are on the right track.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
I found Pugski when I was looking for reviews, which were great!
Decided to stay for the company :beercheer:

Read the reviews...Now if can only decide between the Kore 93 or 99. Also looking at the K2 Pinnacle 105, I have a pair of Pinnacle 95’s (2015) very playful ski but kinda soft for me so looking to upgrade.

Daily driver is Head iRally which is just a blast and yes I take it off piste, it’s fine on packed powder that’s not too deep. Looking for a playful ski for steep tree & mogul skiing in the deeper powdery stuff.

Kurt

Ski 4 Life
Instructor
Ski selection is a fun process, takes a lot of research, and thankfully is never ending;). I demo as many skis as I can but don't have access to as many as testers do so how to decide? I never use to buy a ski until I demo'd, but with the reviews and discussions on Pugski I now sometimes do. I triangulate by (1) finding reviewers that have the same opinion that I do about a ski I'm familiar with, (2) read what they say about the array of skis I'm considering, (3) demo them if I can, but if I can't then I just pull the trigger. Based on the skis I've demo'd I know the "feel" that I like and can match that with certain reviewers comments. One of the last skis I purchased without demo, but based on Pugski reviews and discussion, was the Stockli Laser AX; one of the best skis I've ever owned!:beercheer:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon and Atomic take themselves a bit too seriously, I think. Head don't do 'twitchy'. Fischer like their alphabet soup too much. Dynastar, maybe. K2, if they built an SL version of the Supercharger, maybe. Stockli could do it, but I think they learned their risk lesson with the Y series.

I think Icelantic or Praxis would do it in a heartbeat if they felt there was a market for the ski. 55mm 14.5m city slalom?

My first thought is @JLev and @4FRNT Skis with those brands.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Salomon and Atomic take themselves a bit too seriously, I think. Head don't do 'twitchy'. Fischer like their alphabet soup too much. Dynastar, maybe. K2, if they built an SL version of the Supercharger, maybe. Stockli could do it, but I think they learned their risk lesson with the Y series.

I think Icelantic or Praxis would do it in a heartbeat if they felt there was a market for the ski. 55mm 14.5m city slalom?

Women's version could be the Nervous Nellie.

My first thought is @JLev and @4FRNT Skis with those brands.

ON3P might use it, if they were to ever make a ski under 90cm again.

Nordica and Head both had strange graphics and/or names in their attempts to appeal to a younger demongraphic, uh, I mean demographic.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thank you very much reassurance like this reminds us that we are on the right track.
I really like the format of the reviews here as well, but when a review says a ski is or is not for the bigger, stronger skier, I always wonder if the stronger part relates purely to muscle or perhaps partly to technique. For me as a perpetually advancing intermediate and a Clydesdale, it would help if there was some finer differentiation.

I ski an older model of the Hero Elite LT for hard snow, but probably would have been scared off by the review this year. Real Skiers and the site below also provide reviews that I've found useful and led me to the LT's in the 2016 reviews. They are not afraid to pan a ski's performance and do discuss "feel"..

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s...i-reviews-2018-rossignol-hero-elite-lt-ti/544

Notice the use of the word "scalpel" in the review...

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the format of the reviews here as well, but when a review says a ski is or is not for the bigger, stronger skier, I always wonder if the stronger part relates purely to muscle or perhaps partly to technique. For me as a perpetually advancing intermediate and a Clydesdale, it would help if there was some finer differentiation.

I ski an older model of the Hero Elite LT for hard snow, but probably would have been scared off by the review this year. Real Skiers and the site below also provide reviews that I've found useful and led me to the LT's in the 2016 reviews. They are not afraid to pan a ski's performance and do discuss "feel"..

https://www.proskilab.co.uk/h/men-s...i-reviews-2018-rossignol-hero-elite-lt-ti/544

Notice the use of the word "scalpel" in the review...

That's a good point, and one I will keep in mind for the future! The difference between a strong skill set and strong muscles that can help compensate for a "less advanced" skill set is definitely a valid question to consider. I know for me, I tend to refer to "stronger" in terms of skill set, but sometimes, I am definitely referring to someone who is also very fit and strong.

TS
tch

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all for contributing. But I've also wondered: what word IS the opposite of "damp"? For me, it's a "boingy", light, feel -- lots of vibration. Skis feel skittery, insubstantial, easily pushed off line. But I'm also aware that my words carry negative connotations, and that some folks LIKE this feeling of lightness on their feet, the sense that they can quickly alter their line. So...vocabulary for that feel?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hmm I use buzzy as the opposite of damp. But I take your points about taking negative connotation out.

I feel that some combination of sensitive and direct will do as a stopgap description.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Feel is SO subjective, I think it's a tough one to communicate perfectly.

That said:

Pugski
Blister
Yellowgentian

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all for contributing. But I've also wondered: what word IS the opposite of "damp"? For me, it's a "boingy", light, feel -- lots of vibration. Skis feel skittery, insubstantial, easily pushed off line. But I'm also aware that my words carry negative connotations, and that some folks LIKE this feeling of lightness on their feet, the sense that they can quickly alter their line. So...vocabulary for that feel?
I skied a DPS Foundation build ski back to back with one of the Alchemist builds. Same length and waist. The Foundation felt "warmer" while the Alchemist felt more high strung. Not that either of those are bad but, you're right, vocabulary is tough.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure you meant to say 90mm (width), not 90cm (length)? I blame it on the lack of widespread use of the metric system in the USA.
They're taking powder skis to the next level!

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm pretty sure you meant to say 90mm (width), not 90cm (length)? I blame it on the lack of widespread use of the metric system in the USA.

You are correct. I made a mistake. It had to happen sometime.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
I voiced the same opinion a few days ago about magazine reviews in a different thread. Most of the mainstream ski magazines don't provide a review, they provide marketing blurb. Every ski is a great ski, every ski is the best. Look for a criticism of a ski in a magazine review...very hard to find.

Without wanting to sound like a pugski fanboy, the 'Who is it for, who is it not for' review approach with a brief summary is gold (I hate long-technical analysis of skis). Take a look at the selection of subjective impressions from Head Titan reviews on this site (being my most recent ski purchase, and also a bit like the OP I love a damper, solid ski and wanted versatility for local conditions):

pulls across the hill with power and enthusiasm
excels with maneuverability and composure
stable and precise
can be skied a size longer, and still feel nimble

For me that gives me all the info I need about a skis feel.

I agree with this "feel" description, by adding on a run down of the author/tester would help the reader understand these better.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Higher amplitude?

Positive amplitude? Now it's me sounding like a ski manufacturer marketeer

Ringing.

The amplitude is a function of the stimulus, not the ski; a 3 inch death cookie hitting the shovels will always be a 3 inch death cookie, never a half-inch one.

Sponsor

Staff online