• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

February Advice for 12yo: Telluride vs Vail vs Aspen-Snowmass vs Jackson Hole vs Snowbird

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
If my 12 yo guide makes it to a trip this coming season, would appreciate any counsel, reviews, comparisons Especially amongst the list above: Telluride, Aspen-Snowmass, Vail, Jackson Hole, Snowbird .
Looking for on-piste usual and if possible some gate training (but not necessary), and of course, powder and off-piste. Please provide your own take. We have skied Aspen-Snowmass (had a great time) and Alta (that was 2010, but then 6 yo had a great time, as did Dad but Dad was a rank beginner)
Convenience matters too, daily drive to mountain, while getting to Highland to ski (and we did it with Bob Barnes) was worth it all, normally we avoid such.
Thanks

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have been to all of these, with kids -- I can't speak to the gate training, but all have enough on/off piste terrain to satisfy most anybody. I think that Jackson and Snowbird have a reputation for having above average difficulty, but I was at each with middle-intermediates, and they had a great time. If convenience is a priority (and I certainly get that!), why not see which place has the most convenience that also fits your budget? For what it's worth, they all have bus/shuttle systems that work pretty well...

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
I have been to all of these, with kids -- I can't speak to the gate training, but all have enough on/off piste terrain to satisfy most anybody. I think that Jackson and Snowbird have a reputation for having above average difficulty, but I was at each with middle-intermediates, and they had a great time. If convenience is a priority (and I certainly get that!), why not see which place has the most convenience that also fits your budget? For what it's worth, they all have bus/shuttle systems that work pretty well...

Thanks bbinder, noted. Cost is always a factor. True, aware of Snowbird and Jackson degrees of difficulty reputation, but after L'Espace Killy, the inbounds on-piste will be fine, mogul fields are well, mogul fields, very hard here in upstate NY at Hunter Mountain (k-27) or Catamount (Catapult) when they are humongous Ford Truck sized and hard as rock! It's the off-piste and powder, and yes, LCC has the reputation, so that is one thing and we have been to Alta twice (Again I was a relative neophyte skier then) , so now might be a good time, and we liked the Alta Lodge a lot (those infernal slippery stairs and all). Jackson Hole is kind of a rites of passage, so 12 yo, perhaps should ski it, he is cool with the idea, and it is known for a good variety of off-piste which with an instructor many can tackle without risking life, limb and peace of mind (this applies to the old man), same can said about Alta-Snowbird. Telluride hit our radar for it's reputation as the only place which offered a truly Alpine experience in terms of off-piste, and it's again in our case with an instructor, sounds quite exciting. On cost, I presume they are about the same, Alta is NOT cheap (Lift tickets are but the rest of it is not) and that week Snowbird will not be inexpensive either at the Cliff. Jackson Hole, definitely thinking about it, but in the past, Tony Crocker, the guru of snow-fall, and global ski traveler extraordinaire has often said JH is not exactly great at that time.

Thank you, your point is well taken and going into 'research in progress' machine

James

Out There
Instructor
Gate training would be highly dependent on whatever you could work out. Don't know about walk ons for kids.
If Jackson,
Gate train at Snow King at night? :)
People at Jackson talk about how steep Snow King is. That says something.
Jackson comes with a delicious side order of Grand Targhee. If there's a whiff of powder coming it goes there. Plus very accessible cat skiing
Jackson has vert. Moguls, trees, steeps side country.

Telluride and the San Juans are visually the most like the Alps. Top of Highlands bowl back view excepted.

From what I've heard no one goes to Telluride but your week is school vacation and so could be others?
I've only seen it in summer. Gorgeous.
Silverton is less than 2 hrs.
Created Butte but that's like 3 hrs away.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out the prices at the Peruvian or Goldminers Daughter Lodge at Alta. I have decided that the expense is worth the convenience. And, with all due respect, Tony Crocker's trends are not gospel... With the El Niño that is working right now, all bets may be off as far as trends are concerned.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
From a cost perspective, the Salt Lake City area is almost impossible to beat. Fly Southwest with no baggage fees, rent a car, stay in a inexpensive motel near the base of LCC, eating is cheap, daily drive is 30 minutes or so. As noted by bbinder, this year the weather patterns are abnormal so I would book the trip as late as possible.

I believe Aspen is the most expensive for both rooms and lifts, 4 hour plus drive from Denver. You have been there, so, you know the drill pretty well.90

Jackson does face east, so, if it is warm, the sun creates some hard snow unless snowfall occurs. Last year, the Epic Gathering was in JH and the first 4 days had very eastern snow. There is a Motel6 in the town and that is about as inexpensive as it gets. Lift tickets are almost Aspenish. Jackson has a ton of appeal, it's the last of the old west, and, get to Grand Targhee, a 90ish minute drive. Flying into Jackson can be pricey, shop very carefully. Guided tours are pricey, some regulars here or at Epic might be willing to ski a few runs with you. As you have never been there, it would get my vote.

Never been to Telluride, it's the hardest place to get to.

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
A bit of perspective on T-ride. The cheapest lodging and easiest access to lifts is going to be the Victorian. But you'll probably have to book ahead, or hope to get lucky. The rooms run a bit over $100 per night iirc for a cheap motel type room that is clean and decent. Like 3 blocks to the nearest lift, if there's snow you can probably even ski down to it. You might be able to find a better deal for a condo around there, but when we rolled in last minute this was the best option. Bonus is that you don't need your car until you're leaving and that southern CO is having a pretty bang on season so far and thats probably not super likely to change. Drawbacks are that it's in the middle of nowhere so will involve a drive across some potentially hairy roads, can be bit expensive, and lift tickets are expensive with few deals to be had.

On the upside, if you go to Telluride you can scope out those chutes you've been discussing in your other thread.... ;)

TS
dustyfog

dustyfog

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks all, keep it coming - and yeah Kimmy "scope out" is right, with very powerful Telescope ! :crossfingers:
A bit of perspective on T-ride. The cheapest lodging and easiest access to lifts is going to be the Victorian. But you'll probably have to book ahead, or hope to get lucky. The rooms run a bit over $100 per night iirc for a cheap motel type room that is clean and decent. Like 3 blocks to the nearest lift, if there's snow you can probably even ski down to it. You might be able to find a better deal for a condo around there, but when we rolled in last minute this was the best option. Bonus is that you don't need your car until you're leaving and that southern CO is having a pretty bang on season so far and thats probably not super likely to change. Drawbacks are that it's in the middle of nowhere so will involve a drive across some potentially hairy roads, can be bit expensive, and lift tickets are expensive with few deals to be had.

On the upside, if you go to Telluride you can scope out those chutes you've been discussing in your other thread.... ;)

Sponsor

Staff online