• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
agreen

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
When the wind starts blowing at Copper, I head for the A lift.
I was just typing about Copper and decided to look at the new post before submitting. I was lucky enough to be there during a very large storm cycle and found lots of sheltered areas. The enchanted forest was really fun on the backside. Is the A lift on the far left of the mtn (lookers)? That was fun too. Sweet powder bumps on Mine Dump(?).
Others:
Chair 22 Mammoth - winds are ferocious at Mammoth and this closes sometimes but I swear its been open during 60mph!
Wildcat Alta - a little vertigo getting in there but then is awesome
Pali - A Basin - also a little exposed at the top but was barely able to make out a couple signs and sideslipped very slowly to them

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Jet T-bar was before the triple was installed. It ran up what is now the Jet trail (it was widened to make it a trail). I assume you have skied that trail, so just imagine riding a T-bar up that run

This is a trail map from 1976, the year I first skied at Jay and rode that T-bar
https://skimap.org/data/202/2205/1473113171.jpg

Then it was gone and replaced by the Jet triple by 1985. That was the year I first met Jay. Jet used to be all bumped up, now and for the last several years it seems to always be groomed. On stormy days we tend to ski the side country between Timbukto and The Dip.

I've been on steeper t-bars but that is a long run for a T.

Seve

Live Free or Die Baby
Skier
4 Runner at Stowe has all that criteria EXCEPT for big lines at opening bell on a weekday (like today) but by 9 no lines at all.
2000 feet of pure verticle, as steep as you want, no run outs and plenty of great tree skiing all over if you know the mountain...did I mention bumps? Plus a fast lift to do it all over and over again.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
Then it was gone and replaced by the Jet triple by 1985. That was the year I first met Jay. Jet used to be all bumped up, now and for the last several years it seems to always be groomed. On stormy days we tend to ski the side country between Timbukto and The Dip.

I've been on steeper t-bars but that is a long run for a T.

Yeah, I was scared s***less riding up that thing! LOL Looking at old trail maps, the first year they designate the "Jet" trail seems to be 1986. So your time frame seems about right. You just missed it! :)

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier
Paradise lift at Powder Mountain. Slow af but it works for me.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
This. Note the sticker on the door.

Attachments

• 80875031-A96B-4691-BA04-4AB92A182842.jpeg
    80875031-A96B-4691-BA04-4AB92A182842.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 45

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
When the wind starts blowing at Copper, I head for the A lift.

Or Reso. If it's a W wind, as usual, you don't even know it's blowing until you are almost at the top terminal.

When I ski Copper, which I probably will next week, I'm nearly always on one of those two, storm or no :)

I'll nominate C chair at Mary Jane. I'd say it satisfies at least three of the four criteria in the OP.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Criteria:

1. Doesn't get wind held very often/sheltered
2. Services lots of good quality terrain with trees for viz
3. Doesn't get huge lines on a midweek pow day
4. Steep enough to get some speed when deep

2 + 3 = doesn't get tracked out in an hour/tracks have time to refill

Thanks for playing!

Any Gondola sounds cool to me during a storm lol! If its not too bad a storm for it to be running anyway.

This may get some catcalls and whistles as being lame, but last Feb I caught a one foot powder day at Beaver Creek. I made about six or seven consecutive runs on the Centennial chondola and it was great. Just steep enough for the snow depth, no peeps because it was a weekday and all the BC poshy types avoid dumps, tree lined runs around the lift line, low on the mtn to avoid worst winds. And best, it was actively snowing the whole time and I appreciated getting out of the elements between each fun run. This lift has 2100' vert!
I'll see if I can find a photo of the terrain I am talking about. The chondola line was still good the day after the storm:)
Here they are:
2/28/17
LL

Snow kept accumulating that day.
LL

3/1/17:
LL

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Chair 1 at Loveland. :yeah:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Or Reso. If it's a W wind, as usual, you don't even know it's blowing until you are almost at the top terminal.

It can be a brutal reminder when you get to that point on the lift. Thank goodness you can drop back in quickly.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Northway at Crystal Mt. You are going to be in some wind going up but you have as much terrain to play with as some resorts. Skiing next to rock walls can work as well as trees, but no shortage of trees either.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Double Diamond/Southern Cross at Stevens Pass.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
And, the Bluebird Express at Brundage. It’s the main lift at the resort, there is a ton of terrain you can access with nice glades between all the trails, and lift lines are minimal or nonexistent even on a powder day. Been there on a day where it was windy and near whiteout at the top but it was still fun, and a little further down just ideal glades.

Sponsor

Staff online