• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Commentators

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am finding Simon Gerrans's commentary very interesting.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I am finding Simon Gerrans's commentary very interesting.

Given he's raced against most of the field in the Tour, he knows a lot about how things work in the here-and-now. Having a recent UCI Pro Tour veteran is gold for getting the best intel. His profile pieces on things like Caleb Ewan's bike are simply awesome: informative and candid, very clear.

I'll admit that Adam Blythe has been a great asset for the NBCSN crew. While I really like Steve Porino, he's a skier first and didn't grow up inside the pro cycling circuit. Blythe did, retiring in 2019 so he's a familiar face to the teams and the ASO media folk. When I choose to watch NBCSN, I enjoy Blythe's insights when they check in with him.

I'm also enjoying Chris Horner's YouTube post mortem commentary about things like finishing sprints, pacelines, climbing tactics, and the like. He's smart, and I can see why he's made some good money with race coaching over the past few years.

Is anybody here watching GCN's Race Pass coverage (in partnership with EuroSport)? I've seen some of Bradley Wiggins' bits and they're insightful - he knows what's going on and is more than happy to share his opinion.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You can’t beat the Belgian commentators (Sporza) they have such creative language, they make up the most amazing expressions on the spot.
Unfortunately most of you can’t understand them.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You can’t beat the Belgian commentators (Sporza) they have such creative language, they make up the most amazing expressions on the spot.
Unfortunately most of you can’t understand them.

This all depends on your ability to understand Flemish and/or Dutch (they're close cousins). But yes: they definitely make it exciting, and given they cut their teeth calling cyclocross races they're accustomed to a bit of... vocal hyperbole.

The closest we get to this in the U.S. (speaking only of U.S.-based commentators) is Todd Gogulski. He definitely amps up his delivery when exciting things are going on. Otherwise, it's the U.K. commentators who are more capable of getting excited and conveying that excitement to the viewers. The other U.S. folk tend to be a bit subdued.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January