• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Favorite Commentators

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll save you some of the whining this time and just say that I forked over for a FloBikes subscription. Pros and cons there. Anyway, I thought the guy they had on for the Milano-Torino race was superb. (Not a typo; I think it was someone more familiar doing Milano-San Remo.) Possibly Declan Quigley??? I couldn't determine for sure. To say they don't make a point of identifying themselves during the broadcasts is to understate the case. Anyone know who it was?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile Anthony McCrossan on NBC Gold, doing the.Dauphiné, is uninspiring. In fairness, part of it is the pathetic audio NBC always seems to have for every race but the TdF. If you turn it down enough not to get blasted out of your chair by the underlying feed's dramatic music and ambient wind and motorbike sounds, you can't possibly hear the commentary.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a big fan of Carlton Kirby from Eurosport. He's sharp as a tack, has some wonderful witticisms, and is often paired with Sean Kelly, whose droll delivery is the perfect foil to Kirby's more animated presence. Kirby's book, Magic Spanner, is a fun read for any fan of bicycle racing. The audiobook is read by Kirby and is a pure delight.

I'm also a fan of Rob Hatch (Eurosport and GCN), Dan Lloyd (GCN), and Matthew Keenan (ABC-Australia and the ASO world English language feed - he's the guy who hosts much of the ad-free Tour de France coverage on NBC Sports Gold).

After many years of Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen, I grew tired of their same 'ol, same 'ol schtick. Also, as Phil's eyesight started to deteriorate his misidentification of riders grew a bit tiresome to me. Paul Sherwen was a wonderful foil to Phil, and his passing was tragic. If anything, it's forced Phil to raise his game, and pairing him with Bob Roll has worked out quite well. Same thing with Christain Vande Velde, who has come into his own. Paul Burmeister is an affable host, and his hosting duties for NBCSN's "best of" TdF coverage in July was well executed, especially his interviews with current and former UCI pro riders.

Phil Liggett was the first commentator of pro bike racing I can recall. I remember his color commentary for the 1985 and 1986 Tours de France, where John Tesh was the primary host (this was on ABC's Wide World of Sports). I also remember some of the first times when Paul Sherwen co-hosted with his thick East Midlands accent, fresh from the pro circuit (before he learned RP for TV commentary). Their voices are still there in my head, and I'm glad Phil Liggett still hosts, but my heart has moved on.

That said, I'll take Eurosport's coverage any day over the NBC Sports regular network coverage of the Tour de France. I guess it boils down to knowing enough about the sport that the delivery style of Liggett, Roll, Vande Velde, Burmeister, and Schlanger is a bit too simplified for my tastes. Their approach is great for folks just getting into watching pro cycling, but it's not a deep into things as I'd like. NBC (possibly correctly) assumes the average viewer of the NBCSN or full network NBC coverage to have a more casual acquaintance with pro bike racing so there are more rider profiles, basic explanations of things, et al, and while it works for some viewers it's not my cup of tea.

(To wit: I tend to watch the ad-free NBC Sports Gold coverage with Matthew Keenan, then Phil and Bob, so I don't have to hear and see all of the bumper pieces explaining stuff I already know.)

Eurosport's team of Kirby, Kelly, Juan Antonio Flecha, Rob Hatch, Bradley Wiggins, and Greg LeMond is typically more in depth in terms of covering all of the teams (tho they'll sometimes get a little too "fanboy" about Team Ineos with it's deep GB ties, though this seems to be dissipating this season), they tend not to oversimplify their explanations of things, and they assume the viewers have an understanding of the sport to start with.

I'm seeing a similar style with GCN's new Race Pass service, though its coverage in the U.S. is less thorough due to ASO's contract with NBC and other contracts with the like of FuboTV and FloBikes. Methinks they'll have better U.S. coverage for the 2021 season when contracts are renewed. For now, a VPN allows folks to watch the things that are unavailable Stateside. GCN certainly assumes familiarity with the sport.

So if you haven't had the chance to hear Carlton Kirby call a pro bike race, find a way to do so. He's the gold standard for this fan.

Just my $0.02 - YMMV.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Meanwhile Anthony McCrossan on NBC Gold, doing the.Dauphiné, is uninspiring.

Ant McCrossan is one of the go-to commentators for ASO and the UCI when they offer a generic English language "pool feed" - i.e. the feed NBC Sports Gold uses for much of their racing coverage (same thing with FuboTV and FloBikes' coverage of pro cycling). Yes, his delivery can be very monotone, but he often works solo - one of few bike racing commentators to do this - and engages with viewers far more than most bike racing hosts. He actively reads his Twitter feed while covering the race and will reply on-air. And it's tough to deny that McCrossan knows his way around the peloton and the movers and shakers within. He's a pro - perhaps not the most engaging voice, but quite good at what he does.

I agree about the sound mix, but that's entirely the fault of the production crew on-site. In the case of the Critérium du Dauphiné, it's ASO. They always mix the commentary down for certain things (e.g. stage previews and interviews) as there are some local markets that insert their own more local commentators over the feed for certain parts.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
engages with viewers far more than most bike racing hosts. He actively reads his Twitter feed while covering the race and will reply on-air
Good point. That is excellent.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Something that McCrossan revealed during the Dauphiné coverage was how challenging it is to be a pro cycling commentator during the pandemic. Typically these folks will fly home between events to get some family time and relaxation, but the current quarantine requirement for returning to the UK from other countries meant that McCrossan had a choice: go home and not cover the Tour de France, or stay in France.

So he loaded up his car and drove from the UK (via the Chunnel) to southern France (as opposed to catching a short flight and a courtesy shuttle from ASO). He's staying at least until the end of the Tour, if not longer if there are other work opportunities. He has stated that he'll miss family time, but that there's a big upside: he got to bring his bike with him (something that's not always logistically possible when traveling with other broadcasters in the pool convoy). So he's been able to ride parts of stages the morning of said stage and was able to give some insightful comments about good places to attack and the like.

That's stuff that Eurosport does (often with Juan Antonio Flecha giving stage previews during the Giro, Tour, and Vuelta) but it's in their budget to do so. For a person under ASO's official employ, any time you can get to ride must be a treat.

Also worth noting: any press that will be on-site at the Tour needs to arrive in France no later than the end of this week to pass the required COVID tests. It'll be interesting to see if Liggett can get there. I'd imagine Roll, Vande Velde, Schlanger, Horner, and Burmeister are stuck stateside unless NBC Universal secured work permits well ahead of time.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Also worth noting: any press that will be on-site at the Tour needs to arrive in France no later than the end of this week to pass the required COVID tests. It'll be interesting to see if Liggett can get there.

If he can't, ASO will delay the Tour won't they?

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
If he can't, ASO will delay the Tour won't they?

I kinda doubt it, tho I'm sure for quite a few English speaking viewers his omission would be a sad day.

(Note: I'm probably going to be watching Eurosport's coverage this year because of my preference for Kirby and Kelly.)

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Love him or hate him, Lance's race commentary is pretty steller... sort of like Bode's skiing work. Wish he'd clean up the language a bit so kids could listen/watch. I'm also a fan of Matt Stephen's bike rides with various pros for Sigma Sports. Just makes it all fun.

Anyone else think the Tour of Flanders behind the scenes vids are cooler than ice cream?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Lance provides unvarnished real insight.. That's what I hope for in commentary. Like, we're not casual fans. We know you have to gear down to go uphill... :huh:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
These are great!

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
VeloNews has an article explaining how NBC Sports (in the U.S.) will be producing it's Tour de France coverage this year.

TL;DR spoiler: Phil Liggett will not be on-site, he'll be reporting from London. Bob Roll will be in the U.S., as will almost all of the NBC crew. NBC has enlisted the services of Adam Blythe, former pro rider from the UK, to handle on-site interviews and reporting.

Truth be told, every broadcaster has the same video footage available to them. Some embed extra cameras on motorcycles (i.e. Steve Porino's traditional role) or special camera arrangements with individual teams (e.g. team car cams), but the other stuff is all a common feed. So the look and feel shouldn't be markedly different in the end.

Last edited:

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
FYI, the ASO global feed commentators for the Tour de France will be Ant McCrossan and Simon Gerrans. The latter is an Aussie who had a great deal of success in the Tour Down Under (four wins) and in one-day classics. He retired after the 2018 season and took a year off to spend with his family - his color commentary should be sharp and current. Both McCrossan and Gerrans will be on-site at the Tour.

Matthew Keenan and Robbie McEwan are stuck in Austrialia and may do coverage for the Aussie audience, but ASP wants its official global feed commentators to be on-site.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
The Aussies have done a great job in the commentary field for the Tour. Really knowledgeable and laid back. I'm not sure if we get Ant & Simon or Matthew & Robbie here (NZ) but there is an Oz voice in there, I'll take notice when they do the live cross tomorrow night.

+1 for Phil Liggett.... check youtube 'Mont Ventoux 1987 TT Tour de France' for some classic Phil poetry. That clip inspired me for years.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Anyone else think the Tour of Flanders behind the scenes vids are cooler than ice cream?

Slightly off topic, but wanting to make sure anyone who is interested has seen the Movistar behind the scenes series The Least Expected Day. It's a good little watch covering their 2019 season.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Slightly off topic, but wanting to make sure anyone who is interested has seen the Movistar behind the scenes series The Least Expected Day. It's a good little watch covering their 2019 season.
Very fun!

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The Aussies have done a great job in the commentary field for the Tour. Really knowledgeable and laid back. I'm not sure if we get Ant & Simon or Matthew & Robbie here (NZ) but there is an Oz voice in there, I'll take notice when they do the live cross tomorrow night.

If it's just one Aussie voice then it's Ant and Simon. If it's two it's Matthew and Robbie. Robbie is working for SBS Australia doing commentary, and I'm fairly certain that Matthew is working with him there. So if you're watching on SBS, there you go.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
If it's just one Aussie voice then it's Ant and Simon. If it's two it's Matthew and Robbie. Robbie is working for SBS Australia doing commentary, and I'm fairly certain that Matthew is working with him there. So if you're watching on SBS, there you go.

Confirming it's Ant and Simon :)

Sponsor

Staff online