• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
But if that's the way you ski outside the bumps - lots of skidding sideways - then I guess we are aiming at 2 different targets.

Here's the way I want to ski outside the bumps for good bump training(video below). Once you learn this type of turn then you'll discover that when you start skiing your favorite run with some friends, nice bump lines will form before your eyes. The toughest thing about this type of turn is that you must always be balanced. I've heard people talk about line choice as the freedom to go where they want. That's great......... I love freedom......... Though, in practice, line choice often ends up being the freedom to ski across the hill until you regain balance, because you aren't balanced enough to make that next turn quickly. When you are balanced and can link those turns, it's incredibly fun, especially in the mogul fields.

Technically, Carmichael isn't "skidding". Skidding is typically when the tips and tails slide down the hill together. When the tails follow the tips in an arc, it's not skidding. There are other names for non edge locked turns where the tail still follows the tip, such as scarving or brushing. Whether on the groomed or in the bumps, when it's steep, for people who don't want impact or too much speed, it's an unreasonable goal to edge lock carve all the time. You've made it clear that you're not interested in comp style, because of the impact and speed, which is actually a false worry. However, it's not a false worry that you're in for a world of hurt if you only try to edge lock carve on steep terrain, especially at your level. If you start looking for brushing and scarving, you'll find it in everyone's skiing, more than Carmicheal, on similar slopes and conditions. I don't believe there's anyone on the planet that's going to follow that fall line like Carmichael and not scarve here and there for speed control. IMO, skiing the fall line in the bumps is much more fun than finishing turns. The sacrifice may be more scarving, but it's well worth it. If I really want that fun exhilarating feeling from carving, then I'll carve on the groomed where it's possible to maintain edge lock long enough to get high edge angles. There really isn't that much fun to be had carving in the bumps comparably. You can make some nice turns and it feels fun, but nothing compared to the groomed. However, the bumps make up for it and then some in the third dimension. Then carving is just an aspect of it, not the whole kit and caboodle. I wouldn't knock it until you try it. Unfortunately, it may take years of practice before you can experience one of the greatest sensations in sports.

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online