• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
With the new year comes new goals and resolutions. For those who want to improve and the enjoy the bump/moguls runs and learn best by visual, I wanted to post some of my favorite bump and mogul videos. These are not about getting stoke to ski them but are tips on how to improve in them. Please feel free to add you favs and comment on why they are important to you. In addition, I have no issue nor prejudice on how you want to ski them, zipper, direct or meandering.

Vid below shows a useful drill in getting the COM forward and can be done in the flats as well as the bumps. I like the cue of lifting the heel just slightly of the new up hill leg to fully engage my new down hill ski into the face of the upcoming bump.

Next up is skiing in 3D terrain. where flexing and extending is so important. The point about this vid is during early season, you can find these features in trails and parks if you use your imagination. Trails that have a round cover over a drainage ditch that runs across the trail. Over at the park you can use up ramps or ski on big air jumps that have a sharp drop off after the jump.... the drop off forces you to extend quickly.

Last but not least is Butler's folding leg because he is the Rob Butler, a guy who can still rip them. IMO, this is a great visual on turn transition using his terminology.... and how down unweighting can be used in the bumps.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The demo in this video is actually kind of bad. Very stiff, she doesnt get her tips down quick enough, like a fraction of a second delay.

Rob Butler and the other video are much better pictures.

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
The demo in this video is actually kind of bad. Very stiff, she doesnt get her tips down quick enough, like a fraction of a second delay.

Rob Butler and the other video are much better pictures.

Yeah, I agree but I liked it because it shows drills where turns are made on these rollers. Some areas set up rollers as a mini ski cross course where you can make turns or run them straight. If you find one where they are driving the tip down aggressively and really applied pressure at the tip/front ski area that would be great to see and show the original intent of using these rollers.

Last edited:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

Haha. They are folding the legs too! Yet this is the antithesis of Rob Butler's 'get a few more years from an aging back'. Goes to show that appropriate technique is applicable to high speed, high impact skiing as well as slower, more easy-going skiing.

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Talk about aging back or body.....

Here's Butler again giving a tip about absorption, what I like of this is his range and how controls his decent by managing his range along with his turn shape. Once he goes into a big trough, he goes max absorption to further control his speed. Note, the claim was the vid was shot in 1985 and granted he does not bring his tips down after he clears the apex of the bump, see the third vid for why.

Now fast forward 28 years to 2013, below is a modern version that Butler made of the same tip back in 1985. Maybe others can correct me but if I make an educated guess that he made Canadian level 4 say by the time he was 25 to 30 years old, that would make him 53 to 58 when he skied those bumps in his recent vid. He has basically the same absorption range and can ski hard pack rollers extremely well. This speaks to the old adage, if don't use it you will lose it. Absorption range and going down to full squat can be obtain by exercising and staying fit. And skiing bumps does not make him a cripple (ok.. excuse the hyperbole) as he approaches his sixties.

Also he drives the tips down more in his new vid. Back when he shot the old vid, the skiing style was more deflection turn oriented, see grospiron in the vid below . It wasn't until the Finnish skiers dominated the word cup in the mid to late 90s that the mogul techniques evolved to carving the face of the upcoming bumps and driving the tip downs after clearing the apex. This speaks to Butler's ability to adapt to evolution of the sport.

Last edited:

RichGuo

Booting up
Skier

like the line at 5:05: "you need bring your attitude to the table, don't do anything half way, you need do full out..."

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Talk about aging back or body.....

Here's Butler again giving a tip about absorption, what I like of this is his range and how controls his decent by managing his range along with his turn shape. Once he goes into a big trough, he goes max absorption to further control his speed. Note, the claim was the vid was shot in 1985 and granted he does not bring his tips down after he clears the apex of the bump, see the third vid for why.

Now fast forward 28 years to 2013, below is a modern version that Butler made of the same tip back in 1985. Maybe others can correct me but if I make an educated guess that he made Canadian level 4 say by the time he was 25 to 30 years old, that would make him 53 to 58 when he skied those bumps in his recent vid. He has basically the same absorption range and can ski hard pack rollers extremely well. This speaks to the old adage, if don't use it you will lose it. Absorption range and going down to full squat can be obtain by exercising and staying fit. And skiing bumps does not make him a cripple (ok.. excuse the hyperbole) as he approaches his sixties.

Also he drives the tips down more in his new vid. Back when he shot the old vid, the skiing style was more deflection turn oriented, see grospiron in the vid below . It wasn't until the Finnish skiers dominated the word cup in the mid to late 90s that the mogul techniques evolved to carving the face of the upcoming bumps and driving the tip downs after clearing the apex. This speaks to Butler's ability to adapt to evolution of the sport.

There 1985 and the recent Butler video are in different bumps. the new one has moguls really spread out. He doesn't look as dynamic.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive

like the line at 5:05: "you need bring your attitude to the table, don't do anything half way, you need do full out..."

The way this video ends at 8:04 is endearing.

James

Out There
Instructor
There 1985 and the recent Butler video are in different bumps. the new one has moguls really spread out. He doesn't look as dynamic.
Wouldn't it be better to describe it as bringing the feet up instead of sitting down?

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wouldn't it be better to describe it as bringing the feet up instead of sitting down?

Depends on what works as your key words. When I'm in the bumps, I think of my hips, moving them side to side for weight transfer, bringing them down (Butler's sitting down) and clearing them over the bump during the extension.

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Video of clearing the hip starting at 12:10. And my favorite visualization video. Near the end of the video, history-wise your can see the origins of freestyle skiing with them skiing the back country of Blackcomb.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
A really good video on bumps is Section 8's Peak To Peak Vol 2. There are a few extracts from Vol 2 on the Section 8 youtube channel such as these two however the whole volume is good value.

For the record I'm the wrong side of 60. My aim these days is to ski the bumps like a butterfly with sore feet. Some revisions to technique the last couple of seasons have basically eliminated knee pain. (I used to cant my knees to the inside, something for which they are not really intended especially under load.) My view is that most bump 'students' under-practice the absorption/extension (as per Guy Heatherton's videos and other parts of Section 8 P2P Vol2).

The bigger problem these days is trying to convince my aging ski buddies that, gee, the bumps are so much fun. Come on, another run. Or three...

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive
A really good video on bumps is Section 8's Peak To Peak Vol 2. There are a few extracts from Vol 2 on the Section 8 youtube channel such as these two however the whole volume is good value.

For the record I'm the wrong side of 60. My aim these days is to ski the bumps like a butterfly with sore feet. Some revisions to technique the last couple of seasons have basically eliminated knee pain. (I used to cant my knees to the inside, something for which they are not really intended especially under load.) My view is that most bump 'students' under-practice the absorption/extension (as per Guy Heatherton's videos and other parts of Section 8 P2P Vol2).

The bigger problem these days is trying to convince my aging ski buddies that, gee, the bumps are so much fun. Come on, another run. Or three...

I like his skiing. It's a modern style, but it seems to me that his skis shoot out from under him sometimes, and he pretty much says he's doing it on purpose by pushing his skis forward as he's coming into the bump. It works out for him as he re-centers after the bump, but it looks like he's late getting contact on the backside. I think he makes up for it with a nice round turn shape, and nothing lost, but I don't know how he keeps from blowing up on a competition course. Perhaps he's not concerned with skiing on a competition course. Here's the concept I'm talking about described by Jonny Moseley.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I like his skiing. It's a modern style, but it seems to me that his skis shoot out from under him sometimes, and he pretty much says he's doing it on purpose by pushing his skis forward as he's coming into the bump. It works out for him as he re-centers after the bump, but it looks like he's late getting contact on the backside. I think he makes up for it with a nice round turn shape, and nothing lost, but I don't know how he keeps from blowing up on a competition course. Perhaps he's not concerned with skiing on a competition course. Here's the concept I'm talking about described by Jonny Moseley.

Watched a few of Jonny Moseley's vids previously. I'm sure there's some good stuff there and if I was 25 again I'd probably try to copy. These days I try to bump ski with minimum impact for reduced wear and tear. So more to Section 8 style - at least as far as I'm able to.

And, yes, I suspect that Section 8's vid was not intended for those doing comp bumps.

That move of 'kicking' the feet slightly forward coming into the bumps and 'tucking' them slightly back at the crest is taught by the instructors in the CSIA - at least the ones I've been instructed by in the last 3 northern seasons. It's an anticipatory move - feet forward as the ski tips touch the bump and back as the COM reaches the crest - since the BAS will be slowed going up the bump and then accelerated going down the bump. Combined with absorption and extension it becomes the two footed 'back pedalling' move. And it can be used to keep the skis in more contact with the snow or take some air. As per...

(These days I'm sort of a minimum air person. If you see my skis off the snow I've made a mistake. Or gone for lunch. :))

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Watched a few of Jonny Moseley's vids previously. I'm sure there's some good stuff there and if I was 25 again I'd probably try to copy. These days I try to bump ski with minimum impact for reduced wear and tear. So more to Section 8 style - at least as far as I'm able to.

IMO, the point about Moseley's vid on #17 is to transition early. That "jumping" he mentions is really an explosive way of up un-weighting. In addition, if your "jumping" from your old downhill leg at the start of the transition, that means your weighting that dh ski going into the face of the bump. This somewhat counters to the approach of letting the skis go forward as one approaches the face of the bump.

I see "aged" skiers who learned on older tech skis, they great single leg balance, weight transition and can handle the bumps.

skier

Getting on the lift
Pass Pulled
Inactive

And, yes, I suspect that Section 8's vid was not intended for those doing comp bumps.

That move of 'kicking' the feet slightly forward coming into the bumps and 'tucking' them slightly back at the crest is taught by the instructors in the CSIA - at least the ones I've been instructed by in the last 3 northern seasons. It's an anticipatory move - feet forward as the ski tips touch the bump and back as the COM reaches the crest - since the BAS will be slowed going up the bump and then accelerated going down the bump. Combined with absorption and extension it becomes the two footed 'back pedalling' move. And it can be used to keep the skis in more contact with the snow or take some air. As per...

(These days I'm sort of a minimum air person. If you see my skis off the snow I've made a mistake. Or gone for lunch. :)

Yes, most of us will never ski like Moseley... no matter what age we are....

I've seen skiers claim that they ski with a low impact style, but then you look at them, and on every bump their head jolts down. If you put a helmet cam on them, the footage would be garbage even when they are skiing slowly. There's allot of marketing going on.

Those dolphin turns take a fair amount of athleticism. It's not more attainable than Moseley's style, though perhaps more attainable than Moseley's speed.

Here's a mogul video I like. Look at his head and shoulders, very very little impact, much less than just about anyone else. It's only lack of technique that keeps us from skiing like that, not wear and tear.

Sponsor

Staff online