• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Skis and Gondolas

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
That's good to know, thanks. So when you say skis with tail rocker need to be put in one at a time, do you mean both skis in the snowboard slot next to each other with bindings facing inward as has been suggested? Or one at a time and then clamped together? Because the second way was posing problems for both myself and the lift attendants.

I was talking about the second way. Using the "ski" slot, insert one ski, then insert the other. Could be the width of your 110s are making the issue worse. But you could also put them in separately in the combo ski/snowboard slot.

How a major lift manufacturer like Poma could supply racks that don't fit today's skis and boards makes no sense.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Which begs the question, will they let you do that? Especially on a crowded day with a full cabin. Seems like they do at Stowe.

In the past Vail, Breck and Keystone have allowed (in fact instructed) my sons to carry on their twin tips. Maybe its a Vail resorts thing but I doubt it.

In fact, the town and hotel shuttles have the same issues with their ski slots and we carry them on these as well.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I've been taking fat skis up European gondolas in the snowboard slot for the last 10 years, and they've never fallen out. Just remember that, if the wind is actually strong enough to blow your skis up out of the slot, then it's too strong for the gondola to be running in the first place.

If a ski is going to fall out, it's going to be when the gondola is first setting off or is arriving at the top. The shifting around is more likely to make it fall out than the wind.

Sorry fat skis can and will blow out of the stowe gondola. The snowboard slots really can not hold them. BTW to the OP Enforcer 110 fit in the stowe gondola, you do have to split them and but the ski in diagonally in each slot, this is the story with most twin tips...

I would make the liftie promise me, they would A find my blown out skis, and B pay for the replacement, and C nice rentals for the day if they insisted I put them outside the car, the chance is too great, and if they are unable to make that promise they are coming inside with me.

and yes I hate gondolas, high speed bubble 6 packs!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
If it makes you feel better I did get my Patron’s stuck in the ski carrier on Stowe’s gondola and they had to stop the lift while we wrestled them out.

Now I just bring them inside. Doesn’t really make you any friends, but...