• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Fat bikes? 27.5 vs 26 for groomed snow trails.... Need info

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
i was really speaking more of a 36, didn't you say the 54 has the potential for early wearing or durability? I think that was exactly what the reviewer was referring to when he said Trek already has a fast engaging hub. seriously, why not put that on what is supposed to be a "super fat bike"?

The 54 is more prone to wear, but I run a set for training. Only race with the stone axe reliable 36 though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trek puts the new Bonty 108 POI hub on the 2019 Farley.

Reactions: Ron
TS
Ron

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
The 54 is more prone to wear, but I run a set for training. Only race with the stone axe reliable 36 though.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trek puts the new Bonty 108 POI hub on the 2019 Farley.

....and you are correct! the 2019 Farley 9.8 & 9.6 are up and both are spec'd with the 108 Rapid hub. Good job Trek.

Interesting to see the changes in specs and prices as the new Tariffs will be hitting. Looks like the 9.6 took quite a chop on spec's going from GX (mostly) to NX. The 9.8 doesn't appear to have had too much changed. looks like some savings were found in Cranks.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

....and you are correct! the 2019 Farley 9.8 & 9.6 are up and both are spec'd with the 108 Rapid hub. Good job Trek.

And carbon wheels, which make more sense on a fatbike than just about anywhere.

That 9.8 Rage Red color is awesome! I'm so sick of black bikes (every bike I currently own is black).

Convert to tubeless, lose the dropper and you've got a ripping 25 pound fatbike.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
the 9.8 had the carbon hoops for 2018. its a really sweet bike. Personally, i'd keep the dropper; worth the weight as long at the Bonti dropper can stand up to the cold.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
[USER=13]@Ron[/USER] and others.....

I am planning on getting fat bikes for me and my husband. Here in PA, winter snow is mostly fairly sucky for xc skiing, so a fat bike would get us out the door more often. (We do have snowmobile trails).

I have a fair amount of store credit at my local shop, which limits my choices to Specialized and Surly. The Surly Pugsly is my first choice anyway....I am a sucker for steel frames and the ability to install racks, etc. We would like to do some touring with them as well, so the Pugsly is set up well for that.

I did get to demo it 2years ago...it was a TANK, but fun.

Does anyone else have thoughts about this bike?

A1441269-A1C8-401D-941A-79AD4EBD2669.jpeg
[

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I am in the process of interviewing a couple different Fat bike companies and tire manufacturers and will have a buyers guide coming up in a couple of weeks. I will say that almost all fat bikes coming out now have multiple racks mounts. I would check out that Specialized. I would also look into 27.5 bikes but be careful that the bike allows for a wide enough tire for the type of snow and terrain you will be riding on. several of the newer 27.5 bikes will only take a 3.8"-4" tire.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
EC41E31C-5742-4210-9C07-A54EF594C6E3.png
I am in the process of interviewing a couple different Fat bike companies and tire manufacturers and will have a buyers guide coming up in a couple of weeks. I will say that almost all fat bikes coming out now have multiple racks mounts. I would check out that Specialized. I would also look into 27.5 bikes but be careful that the bike allows for a wide enough tire for the type of snow and terrain you will be riding on. several of the newer 27.5 bikes will only take a 3.8"-4" tire.

Well, my local,shop has dropped Specialized and is now carrying Norco. After doing some research, I am plenty pleased after ordering 2 Sasquatch 1’s for my husband and me.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 52220

Well, my local,shop has dropped Specialized and is now carrying Norco. After doing some research, I am plenty pleased after ordering 2 Sasquatch 1’s for my husband and me.

Norco. Highly underrated and underappreciated bikes.

Isn't there a rule about no dropper posts on fully rigid bikes?! :D

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have to admit, I have never used a dropper post on my mountain bike.

Same. Well, I did have one on my first Remedy for two months, then it had to go back to Rockshox.

And ..... I just never bothered putting it back on.

I totally understand the advantage, but I don't find the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Kind of like I generally don't find the benefits of the extra gearing range of a 2x drivetrain outweigh the benefits of a 1x system in an mtb application.

Different strokes for different folks!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I suck so I love my dropper, essential for faster descents on the switchbacks. Makes life much easier to fluently move fore/aft left/right on the frame and not crush my balls or snag a pant leg when moving from behind the saddle back to neutral :) YMMV

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
“Oh, Canada....” :golfclap:

You are the only person that doesn't use a dropper post on a mtb.

Do you also ski with narrow, straight skis, pre 2005?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Not really an option around here since steep and tight switchbacks are abundant. (Black Bear Trail to Deer Creek Park has 65! switchbacks for example in about 8 miles)

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Do you also ski with narrow, straight skis, pre 2005?

LOL. The trails I ride don’t require one. I am not Joe Technical Mountain Biker. I suppose once I have one, I will wonder why I never got one sooner...sort of like when you buy your first pair of shaped skis. ogwink

Reactions: Ron

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hardtail, no dropper, 26 inch wheels, and still take out my Volkly P50s when it's icy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Edit: Botched that one beyond salvage!

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
What downside is there? A couple hundred grams?

So many, it hardly belongs on a fat bike thread!

Make that two.

Not really an option around here since steep and tight switchbacks are abundant. (Black Bear Trail to Deer Creek Park has 65! switchbacks for example in about 8 miles)

Still, hardly a necessity.

Hardtail, no dropper, 26 inch wheels, and still take out my Volkly P50s when it's icy.

OK, up to three of us, at least. We're rolling now!

Sponsor

Staff online