• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fat Bikes Fat bikes? 27.5 vs 26 for groomed snow trails.... Need info

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
So now that I have sold off some bikes, its time to pick up a fattie for snow use. We have a substantial mix of groomed trails now for fat bikes so the hunt is on.... Based on my own experiences with mtn bikes, i think I would want to go to a 27.5. After reading up, it seems like the way to go but I am really interested to hear others opinions based on experience. Riding here will always involve climbing so that's important. we dont get ice and our snow when groomed will setup but not rock hard.

Wheels.... so the popular SunRingle Mulefut 80 seems ubiquitous. Any thoughts on these? they seem rather heavy. Is it worth while to spend another 1500 for a lightweight set up front which usually gets you some other upgrades??

Here's my picks so far.

Salsa BearGrease- totally revised for 2019. The mid-level bike seems to be a solid choice. However, we're back to those Mulefut's.
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/beargrease/2019_beargrease_carbon_gx_eagle

Rocky Mountain Suzi Q 70 or 90.
http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/suzi-q/2017

Borealis Crestone. they dont have their 2019's up yet, I am assuming they will have a 27.5 for this year but the 26" is a very well rated bike.
http://www.bikes.com/en/bikes/suzi-q/2017

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My old Minnesota buddies that ride fat bikes seem to feel that the uber-wide 26ers are best in snow, while the slightly narrower 27.5s are better elsewhere.

I know the Trek Farley is built to accommodate both sizes, but I suspect several of those you are considering do the same.

In your shoes, I'd just buy two sets of wheels.

Always fun to spend OPM!

Reactions: Ron

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I believe there are more tire choices for the 26"s.

That said, that Salsa looks awesome!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Yes i added the Farley back to the list. The idea of a 27.5 x 4.5 is very intriguing. Its hard to argue against a trek with r&d dollars they have. Splitting hairs on the eagle gx vs xo1. I was hoping they put a better engaging hub than the connin dt 350. I am thinking that is a 36 poi?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes i added the Farley back to the list. The idea of a 27.5 x 4.5 is very intriguing. Its hard to argue against a trek with r&d dollars they have. Splitting hairs on the eagle gx vs xo1. I was hoping they put a better engaging hub than the connin dt 350. I am thinking that is a 36 poi?

The DT star drives are available in 18, 36 and 54 POI.

IMO, 36 is the sweet spot on this design. The depth of the engagement teeth on the 54 is a bit shallow for really long life, unless you are really meticulous about keeping those internals squeaky clean AND make sure to not use too heavy of a lube.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Tom. Any insight to 2019 changes?

Not yet. In general, it seems like Trek is making the shift to include carbon wheels on 9.8 mtbs for 2019, at little or no increase in price, so this might make the jump to the Farley line.

I do know they don't produce that many Farleys, so it's typically not a good gamble to wait too long.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I do know they don't produce that many Farleys, so it's typically not a good gamble to wait too long.

Hmmm, if I buy now do I get Ginzu knives? :) So here's a peeve about trek, come on trek, include the damn valves . They didn't include the strips or valves on my Emonda or my wife's Domane either. seriously???

The 2018, already come some decent wheels- I wish I knew what hub is used.

FROM THE TREK SITE
Wheels
Trek Wampa Carbon 80 SL, Tubeless Ready, 150x15 front, 197x12 rear, tubeless strips included, valves sold separately
Tires
Bontrager Barbegazi, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 27.5x4.50˝

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So here's a peeve about trek, come on trek, include the damn valves. They didn't include the strips or valves on my Emonda or my wife's Domane either. seriously???

That does kind of blow. Haha.

But I have to say that my Fuel EX, Procaliber and Checkpoint all came with tubeless valves, so maybe Trek is slowly getting there.......

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
hmm, neither one of our bikes came with tubeless strips either..... I have a few issues with the lack of customer service from Trek but I wont air it here.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So for those still interested, I have pretty much narrowed this down to the Farley 9.8 or 9.6 or a Why cycles (in Carbondale (@SBrown ) who is making some very cool bikes and their new Fat bike is pretty awesome with the ability to dial it in including an amazing set of HED carbon hoops with I9's. My issue with the Bonti Carbons is that they paired up with those 350's.

https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/big-iron/

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So for those still interested, I have pretty much narrowed this down to the Farley 9.8 or 9.6 or a Why cycles (in Carbondale (@SBrown ) who is making some very cool bikes and their new Fat bike is pretty awesome with the ability to dial it in including an amazing set of HED carbon hoops with I9's. My issue with the Bonti Carbons is that they paired up with those 350's.

https://www.whycycles.com/our-bikes/big-iron/

I would definitely go with the why. Looks awesome!

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
they have a great geo and really well designed frames (note sloped top tube for when you stray off the groomed trail.. think what happens if you slam your junk on the traditional top tube :) . my apprehension is they are pretty new l.... You can buy the lowest level of GX and get the upgraded wheelset and throw a dropper on there.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
26 is the prefered wheel size in Fairbanks Alaska.. Most of it comes down to quality rubber in that size. Maybe in the coming seasons the 27.5 will catch on more and we can get some good winter tires. According to my local Trek dealer shop that is the biggest hold up on 27.5 fat bikes so far and why they still sell way more 907 fat bikes than the 27.5 Treks.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
good info! the owner of "Why Cycles" comes out of 907 & Borealis BTW.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Why the dislike of DT 350s?

IME, by far the most bullet proof hub in existence.

bullet proof is fine, sluggish is another thing. Here's a quote from a pro review of the Farley. I'm no pro however, I can tell the difference when climbing and getting over obstacles between a 350 vs a I9 with 120 POI. its noticeable.

"My only major complaint rests on the rear wheel, which is built around a rather cheap hub that’s frustratingly slow to engage – hardly befitting a fat bike with a price tag this high. It’s not a big deal in most situations but the lazy driver occasionally hampered restarts on steep ascents and definitely irritated any time I needed a quick half-pedal stroke on technical features. Trek already has the very fast-engaging Rapid Drive design in its corporate catalog so hopefully it will get added in here sooner than later."

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
26 is the prefered wheel size in Fairbanks Alaska.. Most of it comes down to quality rubber in that size. Maybe in the coming seasons the 27.5 will catch on more and we can get some good winter tires. According to my local Trek dealer shop that is the biggest hold up on 27.5 fat bikes so far and why they still sell way more 907 fat bikes than the 27.5 Treks.

Good comments here I will add to this: there are actually few bikes out there now that will accommodate a 27x4.5 tire and you are correct,there are few options. Bontrager and Maxxis are leading the way on this as is Terrine . I was a bit puzzled to see that Salsa chose to max out their 2019 revision of the Beargrease at 4.0 (which there's really only 1 4.0 that I can find from Terrine and 3.8's from Maxxis and Bontrager). Rocky mountain's Suzi Q's also max out at 3.8.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
bullet proof is fine, sluggish is another thing. Here's a quote from a pro review of the Farley. I'm no pro however, I can tell the difference when climbing and getting over obstacles between a 350 vs a I9 with 120 POI. its noticeable.

"My only major complaint rests on the rear wheel, which is built around a rather cheap hub that’s frustratingly slow to engage – hardly befitting a fat bike with a price tag this high. It’s not a big deal in most situations but the lazy driver occasionally hampered restarts on steep ascents and definitely irritated any time I needed a quick half-pedal stroke on technical features. Trek already has the very fast-engaging Rapid Drive design in its corporate catalog so hopefully it will get added in here sooner than later."

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the POI thing. I find 54 points more than adequate for anything I ride, including some pretty rowdy tech stuff in Moab and St. George. I can't really even tell much difference when I swap out to the 108 point hubs on my Line Pro 30 wheelset.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
i was really speaking more of a 36, didn't you say the 54 has the potential for early wearing or durability? I think that was exactly what the reviewer was referring to when he said Trek already has a fast engaging hub. seriously, why not put that on what is supposed to be a "super fat bike"?

Last edited: