Fasted riding -> quicker heat adaptation?

Discussion in 'General Cycling' started by cantunamunch, May 12, 2018.

1. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Anyone have a link to real science on this? Kinda tired of broscience and apocrypha.

Obviously, e-caps and coffee are included in all sensible fasting plans :D

2. Tom K.

Tom K. HRPufnStf Skier

I've never seen anything specifically related to fasted training and heat adaptation. Would love to if you dig something up.

Plenty of stuff out there within easy reach of an internet search related to fasted training in general.

What I've seen seems to argue in favor of fasted rides that are 1) early in the day, and 2) not more than two hours in duration.

I use this approach during the heat of the summer, since I tend to be on the bike early, and there isn't much point in eating a bunch of solid food a half hour before jumping on the bike. At peak fitness, two hours of fasted training is easy for me and three hours is OK at tempo only, though I at least believe that I do better with post-ride recovery if I ingest one energy gel right after the two hour point of a Gilligan Ride (three hour tour).

cantunamunch likes this.
  3. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Yeh, just yesterday I was thinking that without some carbs I can't seem to hydrate right, no matter how much electrolyte I have. I did manage to resist the mid-ride Swiss macaroon temptation, but only just.

4. Wilhelmson

Wilhelmson Getting off the lift Skier

Seems like you'd be stealing from Peter to pay Paul, but whatever works I guess. When I was younger I could do anything on minimal food but now I get starving. No health issues in that dept, but I just need food.

5. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

It's not about that - it's about training your liver to convert triglycerides back into sugar, on days where your legs or your time can't afford a multihour workout that might achieve similar results, on days without sprint workouts or massive recovery loads that would require high calorie, high glycemic sustenance.

And you'd be surprised how quickly your appetite drops off, with repetition.

6. Wilhelmson

Cool, you guys are doing more serious training than I do. I probably have some fat here and there to burn but if my weight goes below 170 I have to eat a lot to just to maintain it if I'm exercising hard everyday.

7. scott43

scott43 Making fresh tracks Skier

The burning question is, does wheat beer count as high carb recovery?? Cuz maybe I'm just doing it wrong... :huh:

Joel and newboots like this.
  8. Wilhelmson

Yes I think wheat beer counts. Perhaps anytime I don't have any usefulll technical commentary I should just work on integrating beer into my reply. Or just start my own thread like LIght or dark beer before going on a ride in the heat of the summer, in which case I would competently advise either two light beers or 1 dark beer.

newboots and scott43 like this.