• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fashionista

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So in my observation, for most, there is an obvious attention given to ones "look" on the mountain but I've also heard people say that they don't care about their look and even criticize someone for considering the look of a piece of gear instead of considering its functionality alone.
What drives the way you dress when skiing? Practicality? Cost? Fashion?
Do you have to match to look good? Or do you overmatch to make a statement? i.e. Helmet to jacket. Goggle strap matching the trim from jacket. Pants complementing jacket. Pole straps complementing ski colors. At what point is it too "matchy matchy"?
After being accused of looking like a tree(black helmet, dark grey jacket, and dark green pants) every time I would go out, I decided I needed to add some color to my skiing wardrobe. I have to admit that it actually makes me feel better then my dark stuff.
Share some of your current fashion here? .. Wth I'll go first
image.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Everyone cares to some extent. I care. For Colorado skiing, I don't really care about 100% h20 proofness, I do care about windproofness durability for trees and a few pockets for necessities. (Including a small flask of course). I like loose but not baggy. I also like a longer cut to cover my butt for lift rides and just cold days. I also like a hood that I can quickly pull over helmet for lift rides or days when it's honking. (Co Freeride jackets have this nailed) Brands like flylow are my favorite but I am impressed with the Colorado Freeride jacket (review coming). I don't like the skittle kid look but rather some brighter colors with more muted tones. Kind of what @Stephen is wearing. I do prefer to try to find combos others aren't wearing. There is some functionality and safety to wearing a brighter colored helmet and jacket for groomer days or trees. It's easier for others to find you.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I look for durability and ability to fight wind first. Like @Ron, I want some room for layers and freedom. I never really think about putting a kit together but the colors I gravitate toward seem to match (or at least to me they do).

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just prefer not wearing the same colors all the time. Other than that since skiwear is rarely Italian I don't give it much thought past function.

Deer Valley is replacing our uniforms this year. They are going from green to green.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I buy everything on clearance for soft goods, even helmets. Sometimes it matches, sometimes it doesn't. My favorite jacket fit and comfort wise is a brick red Outdoor Research Axcess, and I never wear it unless it's really wet out because it's just so boring and I have yet to find a fun pair of pants that jazz it up a bit.

I usually wear some version of blue and turquoise. None of which match my orange and red Sambas. Whatever. The skis are usually covered in snow anyway. Funny, the brick red jacket DOES match the skis. Hmm, maybe I SHOULD wear it more! I need a red helmet now...GREAT, you've just enabled me. :eek:

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually wear some version of blue and turquoise. None of which match my orange and red Sambas. Whatever. The skis are usually covered in snow anyway. Funny, the brick red jacket DOES match the skis. Hmm, maybe I SHOULD wear it more! I need a red helmet now...GREAT, you've just enabled me. :eek:

Here, www.skiessentials.com. Glad I could help...

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I guess my strategy is always based on pants. First I have to find them long enough w/o being too baggy, so usually it's price be damned. I prefer to have my pockets there. Hence, I own three pairs of Arc'teryx Sentinels. Then I just find jackets on sale, because while pants are hard, jackets are easy.

Last season I accidentally matched my pants and my helmet, but that turned out ok so this year I bought a second helmet to match some other pants. Another accident, some years ago I bought a bright turquoise helmet because it was $25 at a sample sale, but discovered that it makes it easy for people to spot you. I don't really ski with my kids much anymore, though, so I'm trending back to more muted there. The rest of you will just have to look harder. ;)

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I guess my strategy is always based on pants. First I have to find them long enough w/o being too baggy, so usually it's price be damned. I prefer to have my pockets there. Hence, I own three pairs of Arc'teryx Sentinels. Then I just find jackets on sale, because while pants are hard, jackets are easy.

Last season I accidentally matched my pants and my helmet, but that turned out ok so this year I bought a second helmet to match some other pants. Another accident, some years ago I bought a bright turquoise helmet because it was $25 at a sample sale, but discovered that it makes it easy for people to spot you. I don't really ski with my kids much anymore, though, so I'm trending back to more muted there. The rest of you will just have to look harder. ;)

Accidents or just accumulation of gear? I have a lot of accidents too :beercheer:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Accidents or just accumulation of gear? I have a lot of accidents too :beercheer:

Good point. But nah, I needed a new helmet, wasn't thinking much about the pants when I bought it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So in my observation, for most, there is an obvious attention given to ones "look" on the mountain but I've also heard people say that they don't care about their look and even criticize someone for considering the look of a piece of gear instead of considering its functionality alone.
What drives the way you dress when skiing? Practicality? Cost? Fashion?
Do you have to match to look good? Or do you overmatch to make a statement? i.e. Helmet to jacket. Goggle strap matching the trim from jacket. Pants complementing jacket. Pole straps complementing ski colors. At what point is it too "matchy matchy"?
After being accused of looking like a tree(black helmet, dark grey jacket, and dark green pants) every time I would go out, I decided I needed to add some color to my skiing wardrobe. I have to admit that it actually makes me feel better then my dark stuff.
Share some of your current fashion here? .. Wth I'll go first
View attachment 907
It's like looking in a mirror;). Over the past few seasons we have tested a LOT of clothing and have been called Skittles on more than one occasion. Personally I like color, yes I know that is a surprise to many of you but it is true. I think one of the biggest travesties in ski wear is black pants. Sure some say they go with everything...Sure, equally poorly. Pants make the outfit.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's like looking in a mirror;). Over the past few seasons we have tested a LOT of clothing and have been called Skittles on more than one occasion. Personally I like color, yes I know that is a surprise to many of you but it is true. I think one of the biggest travesties in ski wear is black pants. Sure some say they go with everything...Sure, equally poorly. Pants make the outfit.
Agreed. Black serves two purposes. They help local it up and hide stainage. The lighter the more they magnet grease, etc. leading to more washes and DWR apps.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like color pants - but they are tough to keep clean. The black pants are my back ups. I can wear them 100's of days between washing but not quite as long as my ski socks. :eek:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
Agreed. Black serves two purposes. They help local it up and hide stainage. The lighter the more they magnet grease, etc. leading to more washes and DWR apps.

Wait, are you saying you can wash ski clothes? Think about this, they are waterproof aren't they? :crash:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester

Hey Skittles, wear what you like, drink what you like and ski what you like.

I do think that part of the vibe is what you wear! :beercheer:.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wait, are you saying you can wash ski clothes? Think about this, they are waterproof aren't they? :crash:
Yeah...how does that work? Do ski clothes have the ability to distinguish between good and bad water? Does the soap know a secret handshake? How did the friggin grease get in there?

Sponsor

Staff online