• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fashionably Late..Who has not skied yet this year?

skibum4ever

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, fashionably late. Today was our first day, a beautiful one at Mammoth.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Per above, skied Kirkwood today for day one, just 3.5 hours cranking turns on steeper groomed for the sake of easing into the season. Old body is fine.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Similar, spent about 4 hours bashing my way down very roughed up (after the first run) groomers today to get the season started.
Booked for three days in Niseko next weekend, but that could be canceled unless it starts snowing a bit more up there.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
I had my first day in Tignes today. The conditions are ok, but I'm bringing some Jake-effect snow which should arrive tomorrow. The visibility will be bad, but it should set up good conditions for Tuesday.

In other news, I'm definitely out of shape.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
At this point, the weather doesn't matter. If I'm not working - or if I can do some things remotely - I'll be there. And if I'm there, I'll be in touch!
I'm definitely skiing Friday. If the weather is semi-OK I'll ski Saturday. If it's really bad, I'll decide in real time.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my first day in this past Saturday. Nice to knock the rust off.

rocdoc

Getting on the lift
Skier
When you live in the mid-Atlantic and you see only rain out the window, it's not unusual to have to wait until after the New Year, unless you plan some early travel to higher, colder, snowier, far-away places... Hoping our local little hills open soon, otherwise I'll have to wait until my first trip North and West.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
Hoping for a couple runs this weekend if mid week snow is enough to get the local hills going. My bigger concern is Mt Bachelor as I have an 8 day trip planned there from Christmas to New Year’s

James

Out There
Instructor
So, you're saying that you'll be skiing in Oz at the end of January? Or did you mean 7 months? Or are you heading north?
He has some agreement with Canada to let him in to ski.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
So, you're saying that you'll be skiing in Oz at the end of January? Or did you mean 7 months? Or are you heading north?

->Canada.

Although right now the bush fire smoke is about thick enough to ski on - just need wide enough skis.:geek:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
When you live in the mid-Atlantic and you see only rain out the window, it's not unusual to have to wait until after the New Year, unless you plan some early travel to higher, colder, snowier, far-away places... Hoping our local little hills open soon, otherwise I'll have to wait until my first trip North and West.
If you're really jonesing like I was, Massanutten has been doing a good job keeping Diamond Jim open.... I was there on Sunday:

They plan to open for daily operations starting next weekend, weather permitting.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
@Posaune How does Baker look for snow?
Telemetry says there's 10 inches, but it's lying. There's not that much. NWS says there's a possible 2 feet later this week, maybe more, but Baker can't open with such a small amount of snow. They don't groom the slopes enough, and logs are big obstacles. They might be able to open the beginner chairs, but Baker isn't that kind of place. Nobody would come.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Still zero and will be until hopefully next Wed. Hill closed next 2 nights to make more snow at 0 degrees F.

Plus I feel like this too:

candle3ends.png

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
<Sheepishly raises hand...>

To be honest, I rarely plan to ski before Christmas. The reliability and quality of the early season snowpack in Arizona is typically sketchy. This year however, off to a bang and it's killing me! I'm a working man and my pre-Christmas weekends are chock-full-o family activities so i've been struggling to figure out how to squeeze something in. I think I may have found a solution and this may change very soon!

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
New Yorker here and haven’t gotten up to VT yet. Not as much terrain open as I’d like anyway. Planning on skiing Stowe 2nd week of January. Hopefully it’s not “freeze your toes off” cold...

Sponsor