• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Fascinating helmet study

Kindbuzz

Booting up
Skier
Not to hijack but this raises a question for me. Do helmets have a lifespan? I have an older Scott probe 5 years ....in decent shape but has taken some hits over the years.....time for new one?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The standard answer is 5 years or one big hit.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I think that depends on the individual.
I'm naturally a timid person when it come to skiing, and I didn't notice less timidity when I started wearing a helmet, but when I forgot a helmet and skied with a beanie, I realized that I was more cautious. When I ski on a retro day and wear a headband or retro beanie I notice I'm more cautious.

For someone who had the double dog dare gene, it may be different.
A retro day should not excluded helmets.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I would imagine that most Puggers have taken a big ski or bike related digger in the early, non- helmet era and I venture to say the conversation with a riding/skiing buddy did not go along the lines of.." Whoa dude! I messed myself up good! Imagine how much worse it would have been if I was wearing a helmet!!;)

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Eok's comments above are very important.

Keep in made fatalities do not get admitted, so might be overlooked in a study focusing on purely on admissions.

I work at a Level 1 Trauma Center where I frequently treat patients with injuries to the face and jaws. Over the 30 years I have been practicing, folks who did not use helmets when injured while participating in higher velocity, higher impact sports (ex. biking, skiing, hockey, equestrian events, etc...) typically have far worse outcomes in my experience.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I once had someone who didn't believe that higher speed higher energy motorcycle accidents led to worse injuries. I don't know what you do with someone like that.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I once had someone who didn't believe that higher speed higher energy motorcycle accidents led to worse injuries. I don't know what you do with someone like that.
I similarly knew someone who reckoned if they had their feet on the dash it was as good as a seatbelt!

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
People who place their feet on the dash without a seatbelt, may soon find those feet firmly implanted in their mouth in the case of a MVA...

Gary Stolt

Mr. Style
Team Gathermeister
I wear a helmet. There are a couple reasons.
1) It's the popular thing to do.
2) Keeps my head warm
3) I'm told it is safer
I do not ski faster or take more risk and I doubt most teenagers or male twenty somethings alter their skiing either - That would require more gray matter in the protected noggin I or twenty somethings have.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wear a helmet. There are a couple reasons.
1) It's the popular thing to do.
2) Keeps my head warm
3) I'm told it is safer
I do not ski faster or take more risk and I doubt most teenagers or male twenty somethings alter their skiing either - That would require more gray matter in the protected noggin I or twenty somethings have.
While I read that, I heard your voice saying it. :roflmao:

Sponsor