• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

F250 kayak rack

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
I have had racks for my pickups since 1988. A simple screen over the rear window, and rails down the sides to tie stuff to. The one on the 07 250 was one I rebuilt from a full sized bed off a 95 F150 that was my fathers. I also had a rack that was off my 97 short bed. Well the 250 has a 6'9" short bed that is longer than the 97 short bed. The cab is also higher from the bed than either the 07 250 (had to make it higher to fit the 07) or the short bed 97. So a lot of measure, remeasure, rethink existing racks, 1 trip to the metal shop, some welding rods, 3 cut off wheels, a grinding wheel, paint, 4 kayak racks, some 3/8the rebar, and we have a winner.
rjq0p72cpacv.jpg

I needed to make the rails longer so since I am not a good welder, I cut 2 10" pieces off the 8' rack, closed the ends, and welded them to the bottom of the shortbed rack instead of trying to buttsplice. I welded 2 pocket feet to the front of 2x1 square tube, then drilled and tapped then for 5/16 so I could bolt it to the bed, then put shorter pocket feet on the rear.
Then I took parts of the 8' rails and made a frame that is the same size as the frame the screen is on. Welded a angle to both sides, gusseted with 3/8 rebar. Drilled a 3/8 hole in it so I can remove it for normal use. Since I had the torch and rebar out, I made 2 tie downs that I welded to the front frame on the top outside.
84.80 got me 4 kayak J bars from amazon. The only thing I had to do was slice a hole in the screen on the left and right side front to slide the bottom of the J bar through.
loadiegxpm7g.jpg

Took them to the state park this morning. The orange one is 15' and about 57(lb), the yellow is 18' and 68lb. They stayed there at highway speed and through all the turns on the back roads.
The rear part came off and 2 tightners for the front J bars came off quick and all of it is stored with the kayaks. I think I have a winner. A regular rack/screen and a kayak rack.
You need to be about 5' 10" or better to get the boat up there, but it isnt hard. Put the nose in the front J bar with the back on the ground, lift and slide forward, then lift into the rear J bar.

Sponsor

Staff online