• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Experimenting with skis

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
Well I finally got away from work and was able to get some skiing in—glad the recently injured knee worked ok, albeit a bit sore. I spent most of the time trying to remember how to slide down the hill, as well as experimenting with skis.

Much like I noted in limited use last Spring, the new Nordica Enforcer 104 (104mm/186cm/18.5m) is noticeably stiffer than the Enforcer 100 185cm, offering a bit faster turn-in, a higher speed limit, better crud busting, without much loss in general ease of use or mogul capability. Surprisingly, I preferred the Enforcer 104 to the current orange Blizzard Bonafide (98mm/180cm/18m) which I tried back-to-back, as the Enforcer 104 felt smoother, more damp, provided more stability on both hard snow and through crusty cut-up crud, was at least as good in bumps, as well as offering better float in what little remnants of the recent fresh snow was left hiding in the trees off-piste.

This was the first time I got to spend some time on the new Brahma 82’s (82mm/180cm/19m) I purchased in the heat-wave of this past August. I had high hopes for this ski, but ultimately felt a bit let down. The area I was most pleased about the Brahma 82 was its ability to rip nice fast zipper lines in medium to large moguls. Unfortunately, the Brahma 82 did not offer as much hard snow edge-grip, carving turn capability, or high speed precision as several other slightly narrower on-piste carvers I compared it to, including the Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti (78mm/181cm/15m) and Head i.Rally (77mm/177cm/14.7m). While the Brahma 82 excelled in bumps, both these narrower carving skis were not too far behind in “bumpability”. In addition, the Brahma 82 did not offer as much ability off-piste, with mediocre float in left over powder and barely adequate ability in crud, compared to the slightly wider Nordica Enforcer 88 (88mm/186cm/17.5m). In addition, the Enforcer 88 was nearly as good in the bumps and carving on-piste as the Brahma 82, so I was not sure what role the Brahma 82 might fill for me. If I did not have a selection of superb sub-80 mm carving skis, as well as some excellent 88-90mm all-mountain skis, or if perhaps I skied primarily on the east coast, the Brahma 82 might have made more sense. I also feel that the longer 187 cm could have been a better option for me. Nonetheless, the Brahma 82 180 cm did not work for me so is going to be sold at a good price for someone it can better serve.

Never before have I had the opportunity to contrast my Head i.Rally (77mm/177cm/14.7m) against my Head i.Race (69mm/180cm/16.3m) on the same day and same trails. The i.Rally is more versatile, fun, easier to ski, better in bumps, and more tolerant of errors, while the i.Race is much more precise, exciting, offers a more tenacious edge hold on hard snow, is capable of much higher speeds, and could probably be effectively used for beer league racing. Contrasted with the i.Rally, the Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti offers better performance; I previously compared the Rossi with the i.Race: https://www.pugski.com/threads/a-tale-of-two-racer-ish-skis.15691/

Finally, I re-learned an important lesson—unlike the old days when straight GS skis worked great all over the mountain, modern GS skis with a 21 m or larger turn radius do not play well with holiday and weekend crowds on congested resort trails. Trying to use cheater GS skis was an exercise in frustration, but my naïve attempt to check a 30 m FIS GS ski was an insane idea, as in just a couple of turns I had run out of trail and exceeded the resort speed limit. If one wants to carve-up typical on-piste groomers, then FIS SL skis, as well as sub 80mm carving options like the Stockli Laser WRT, Head i.Race, Blizzard Firebird HRC, K2 Supercharger, Liberty V76, Head i.Rally, Nordica Spitfire RB 76, Stockli Laser AX, Renoun Atlas, Rossi Hero Plus Ti, etc… are all better selections that can be more easily arced and maneuvered around the numerous folks recreating on resort trails. I’ll save the GS skis for wide open deserted groomers on uncrowded mid-week days or even better, just use them on closed race courses as intended.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I’ve also found until the groom is consistent- GS skis are a tough go. Right now our snow is quite variable here due to the weather/recovery cycle.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Well I finally got away from work and was able to get some skiing in—glad the recently injured knee worked ok, albeit a bit sore. I spent most of the time trying to remember how to slide down the hill, as well as experimenting with skis.

Much like I noted in limited use last Spring, the new Nordica Enforcer 104 (104mm/186cm/18.5m) is noticeably stiffer than the Enforcer 100 185cm, offering a bit faster turn-in, a higher speed limit, better crud busting, without much loss in general ease of use or mogul capability. Surprisingly, I preferred the Enforcer 104 to the current orange Blizzard Bonafide (98mm/180cm/18m) which I tried back-to-back, as the Enforcer 104 felt smoother, more damp, provided more stability on both hard snow and through crusty cut-up crud, was at least as good in bumps, as well as offering better float in what little remnants of the recent fresh snow was left hiding in the trees off-piste.

This was the first time I got to spend some time on the new Brahma 82’s (82mm/180cm/19m) I purchased in the heat-wave of this past August. I had high hopes for this ski, but ultimately felt a bit let down. The area I was most pleased about the Brahma 82 was its ability to rip nice fast zipper lines in medium to large moguls. Unfortunately, the Brahma 82 did not offer as much hard snow edge-grip, carving turn capability, or high speed precision as several other slightly narrower on-piste carvers I compared it to, including the Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti (78mm/181cm/15m) and Head i.Rally (77mm/177cm/14.7m). While the Brahma 82 excelled in bumps, both these narrower carving skis were not too far behind in “bumpability”. In addition, the Brahma 82 did not offer as much ability off-piste, with mediocre float in left over powder and barely adequate ability in crud, compared to the slightly wider Nordica Enforcer 88 (88mm/186cm/17.5m). In addition, the Enforcer 88 was nearly as good in the bumps and carving on-piste as the Brahma 82, so I was not sure what role the Brahma 82 might fill for me. If I did not have a selection of superb sub-80 mm carving skis, as well as some excellent 88-90mm all-mountain skis, or if perhaps I skied primarily on the east coast, the Brahma 82 might have made more sense. I also feel that the longer 187 cm could have been a better option for me. Nonetheless, the Brahma 82 180 cm did not work for me so is going to be sold at a good price for someone it can better serve.

Never before have I had the opportunity to contrast my Head i.Rally (77mm/177cm/14.7m) against my Head i.Race (69mm/180cm/16.3m) on the same day and same trails. The i.Rally is more versatile, fun, easier to ski, better in bumps, and more tolerant of errors, while the i.Race is much more precise, exciting, offers a more tenacious edge hold on hard snow, is capable of much higher speeds, and could probably be effectively used for beer league racing. Contrasted with the i.Rally, the Rossi Hero Elite Plus Ti offers better performance; I previously compared the Rossi with the i.Race: https://www.pugski.com/threads/a-tale-of-two-racer-ish-skis.15691/

Finally, I re-learned an important lesson—unlike the old days when straight GS skis worked great all over the mountain, modern GS skis with a 21 m or larger turn radius do not play well with holiday and weekend crowds on congested resort trails. Trying to use cheater GS skis was an exercise in frustration, but my naïve attempt to check a 30 m FIS GS ski was an insane idea, as in just a couple of turns I had run out of trail and exceeded the resort speed limit. If one wants to carve-up typical on-piste groomers, then FIS SL skis, as well as sub 80mm carving options like the Stockli Laser WRT, Head i.Race, Blizzard Firebird HRC, K2 Supercharger, Liberty V76, Head i.Rally, Nordica Spitfire RB 76, Stockli Laser AX, Renoun Atlas, Rossi Hero Plus Ti, etc… are all better selections that can be more easily arced and maneuvered around the numerous folks recreating on resort trails. I’ll save the GS skis for wide open deserted groomers on uncrowded mid-week days or even better, just use them on closed race courses as intended.
My go to ski is a GS race ski, ski it like an old straight ski for short radius turns (remember old SL skis had a longer radius), and when the opportunity alls open it up. The second thing a I love about the ski, is it just punches through any crud without issues. Yes I also own SL race skis but find that you can easily reach the upper limit (if you ski GS skis well). BTW love skiing them too.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
So I am 3 days in on my 187cm Brahma 82s. For me is filling what I wanted my WRC to do but doing it much better. Which is real world groomer zooming with a smattering of moguls and trees. Its doesnt feel overly long and I think I made the right call getting the 187cm. The edge grip imo is actually crazy good and skied it on the worst snow of the year as well as some soft chopped groomers. I look at as 11/10th packed snow ski that I can still ski will at slower speeds with students.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Agree with the glowing review of the Enforcer 104 as it’s such a fantastic ski!

A little surprised the Brahma 82 wasn’t closer to the “carver ski“ edge grip/hold range but instead closer grip to the Enforcer 88 that you describe. With it’s taper, the E88 will be better off piste/crud which you found but find even the shorter Brahma 88 holds noticeably better on firm than longer length Enforcers. I’d think the Brahma 82 would give up a bit of edge grip compared to the carvers(but much better than E88) but would be more stable at higher speed turns than the carvers.

See @Josh Matta review posted while I write this and he describes them exactly how I would have pegged them. :huh:

Maybe a length/effective edge issue or maybe a fresh tune after stone grind needed?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Mine were surprisingly good out of the factory, and only required light diamond stone and .5 base bevel guide at the tip and tail to to flatten them in the extremities where they were slightly railed.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Mine were surprisingly good out of the factory, and only required light diamond stone and .5 base bevel guide at the tip and tail to to flatten them in the extremities where they were slightly railed.

That’s good to hear! Glad some people are getting decent tunes from the factory. Meanwhile I’m 0-26 in my last 26 new pairs NOT needing a stone grind and edge work from the get go. Lol

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
stiff ski reduction.jpg

add tiger shark camber.jpg

I thought this thread would be about doing experiments to the ski...

Eric

Sponsor

Staff online