• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Expectations of a shop for new pair of skis

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I am not now, nor have I ever been a shop owner.

I apologise. But I'm not talking about the "free" services here like mount and wax. Hell I'm quite happy to slap wax on a new pair of skis myself. I'm talking about the attitude that you buy a new pair of skis and then have to pay extra for the store to confirm the base is flat and the factory edge angles are what they should be i.e. store washing their hands of a basic qc on the goods they are selling. I'm sure stores get away with it because most customers don't know or care so it's maybe become the norm. I just think that attitude stinks and proportionately is like selling a new car without checking the wheel lugs.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I apologise. But I'm not talking about the "free" services here like mount and wax. Hell I'm quite happy to slap wax on a new pair of skis myself. I'm talking about the attitude that you buy a new pair of skis and then have to pay extra for the store to confirm the base is flat and the factory edge angles are what they should be i.e. store washing their hands of a basic qc on the goods they are selling. I'm sure stores get away with it because most customers don't know or care so it's maybe become the norm. I just think that attitude stinks and proportionately is like selling a new car without checking the wheel lugs.

Looking at it as someone who works at ski shop, if the store was to pay a ski tech to put a true bar and chech edge angles on every ski that the store bought and then base grind every ski that needed it, that would be a cost that would be added to the price of the ski. Except to remain competitive with the ski shop across the street, the added costs would be absorbed by the store.

It makes far more sense to me for the customer to ask for a true bar exam and edge angle check at the time of the sale and then get the shop to agree to include making the ski flat as a condition of sale if it needs it. No doubt the shop would be motivated and more than willing to comply.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I hear that I just think it's a shame that more shops aren't prepared to stand behind the product they sell a bit more. I think it's the wrong attitude if you want to make the retail margin. There's something endemically wrong in the industry if stores know they are getting crappy finishing from the factory but don't take it up with the manufacturers nor make it right for the customers as a matter of course IMV. Lucky it's a long time since I've bought a ski from a retail wall.

Sponsor