• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Evo link to factory edge bevel levels

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I've never understood this. Why not put a real edge on a powder ski? It's not going to hurt on soft snow, and if you hit ice on the way back to the lift you will have something to work with.

I actually agree with you. I was only restating the commonly held belief. My own skis are all either 1/3 or 1/2. The surprising part was that Fischer puts a 1/3 on that kind of a ski. Quite out of the norm...

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The surprising part was that Fischer puts a 1/3 on that kind of a ski. Quite out of the norm...

Perhaps they find if more efficient to have their factory set up to put the same edge angle on all skis and like MDF says, with a powder ski, edge angle doesn't matter as you mostly don't edge.

TS
GregK

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Most wider skis by major manufactures you can easily go to a 1/3 if they aren’t already. My Enforcers 104 are sharp tip/tail with a 1/3 without issue and the even wider Enforcers are the same.

It’s the smaller manufactures that specify something other than 1/2 or 1/3 and even mention “detuning“ in the standard factory levels that you may not have as much play in moving away from their normal factory settings.

This is one of the reasons I choose the Enforcer 104 over ON3P and Moment skis in that width range as I knew I could have a longer, sharper effective edge with the Enforcers skiing harder snow conditions sometimes.

Marin

Putting on skis
Skier
Anyone else out there that can confirm that their Ranger 90+ has a 1/3 tune?
This very easy to find out. When I got My CURV GT I saw same thing , all Fisher 1/3, But I as little worry about that for this skis.
What I did , at tail of the ski maybe about 10 inch before end I make line with black marker , I started with 89 angle and medium file, just one light pass and saw only 20% was remove form line , then I when 88 and see about 60% , then 87 and line was wiped almost 90%, then I knew it was 87 as the said .
Same thing I did at base , stated with 0.5 , then 0.7 then 1 when line was gone,So After that I was sure it is 1/3.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This very easy to find out. When I got My CURV GT I saw same thing , all Fisher 1/3, But I as little worry about that for this skis.
What I did , at tail of the ski maybe about 10 inch before end I make line with black marker , I started with 89 angle and medium file, just one light pass and saw only 20% was remove form line , then I when 88 and see about 60% , then 87 and line was wiped almost 90%, then I knew it was 87 as the said .
Same thing I did at base , stated with 0.5 , then 0.7 then 1 when line was gone,So After that I was sure it is 1/3.
I did essentially the same thing using a coarse diamond stone, but just started with the 3 guide and saw the black rubbed off. This was on my Rangers and earlier on a pair of Rossi Hero Elites. After seeing that, I took a file and gently ran it down the sides to see what came off (a little metal here or there due to inconsistency), then followed up with finer and finer stones to polish. I have good quality 1/3 guides and added a 2 degree plate for the side edge guide this off-season for the family skis. My old 1 and 2 side edge guides are not that trustworthy and probably will stop using them.

I was just wondering if other folks could confirm that they saw 1/3 on their Rangers.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tune is something that should be dictated by the type of ski you’re on, what type of skier you are and perhaps most important, where you’re skiing. When skiing (and tuning) is taken to the extreme—on the WC—skiers have different tunes for different diciplines, slopes and even between runs in tech. This is of course irrelevant for us, one might say. But still there’s something to learn: there is not one correct tune for a ski. It depends on the context, which of course is impossible for the manufacturer to forsee. Also, the factory tune is usually a bit inconsistent—lots of skis, little love. On soft snow it doesn’t really make a lot of a difference. With all that said, a good 0.5-0.7 base and 87-88 tune works on most.

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've never understood this. Why not put a real edge on a powder ski? It's not going to hurt on soft snow, and if you hit ice on the way back to the lift you will have something to work with.
The more acute the angle the bigger divot the hidden rock will knock out of the steel edge. I like .7/3 on my frontside skis and put 1/2 on the powder skis.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The more acute the angle the bigger divot the hidden rock will knock out of the steel edge. I like .7/3 on my frontside skis and put 1/2 on the powder skis.
Ok, that's reasonable. I'm still going to choose the 3 degree side of that trade, though.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled

really it depends on how you ski. So on my over 100mm powder skis I generally run a 1.5 and 3. Why? because if I am slaving I hit Ice I want the ski to only hook up if I want it to. It also tend to make the ski less catchy in stuff like wind slab and strugasi. Basically in anything remote soft the ski will track along its length due to platform but have a ski grab an edge while sliding sideways sucks.

Sponsor

Staff online