• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Everyday Wax Line?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I realized to my astonishment the other day that I'm almost dead out of everyday glide wax. (This, of course, was after all the big wax sales.) How did that happen?

Anyway, I see this as an opportunity to re-set with a consistent brand / line. Obviously I can go with Swix CH. It seldom seems to go on sale in any serious way. Meh.

I have used some of the Dominator mid-upper range race waxes and liked them, as well as the black Renew prep wax, but honestly I've had trouble understanding their system even after several tries. Very opaque.

For a while I was big on the Briko base waxes, but something seems to have happened to that line on the Slide Wright site - no more blue! (P.S. Very user-unfriendly on a phone. The site, not the wax.)

In about to go with Holmenkol "mix" series from Artech, or maybe Ski-go, but open to other suggestions. Extra points if you are also a Nordic skier.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Dominator is pretty easy, hydrocarbon blue, red or zoom cover you from 5-32f, though blue (I think that’s HX77) gets you 5-20f. Holmenkol betamix is a great 7-25f wax, but isn’t super durable. I figure a ski needs to be re-waxed after about 10 runs. Add ultramix below 15f. Same with toko nf red and blue. Artech frequently has bulk CH5 on sale on Amazon. They all have pros and cons. If you are looking for an easy to use, durable wax, Dominator is hard to beat.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Dominator is pretty easy, hydrocarbon blue, red or zoom cover you from 5-32f, though blue (I think that’s HX77) gets you 5-20f. Holmenkol betamix is a great 7-25f wax, but isn’t super durable. I figure a ski needs to be re-waxed after about 10 runs. Add ultramix below 15f. Same with toko nf red and blue. Artech frequently has bulk CH5 on sale on Amazon. They all have pros and cons. If you are looking for an easy to use, durable wax, Dominator is hard to beat.

Okay, I'll take my sluggish brain over there for another look. Thanks.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony S, Thought @ScotsSkier had some wax blocks for sale on this site. Might one of them hold you over while you ponder?

Yeah, I can get by raiding the missus's wax box. After years of inconsistency I want to settle into something where I'm not always juggling a hodgepodge of brands and colors that I got on special discount.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier

HX77 for winter, mix with HX88 on warmer days (1:1), in spring aggressive snow conditions mix with yellow (1:1). It’s pretty easy. Zoom graphite is an acceptable 10-32f wax. Don’t over think. They all work. I’m currently using Swix because it fits my needs. The Swix waxes have broader temp range than claimed and are best toward the warmer end of the range.

RobSo

Booting up
Skier
Holmenkol products are great. But I use them very sparingly because of the high cost. Especially the GW25. My go-to wax is the Toko LF Universal Wax. I buy them in bulk, 2.5 kg at a time. For recreational skis I would stick with good quality CH wax and mix in a bit of Moly/graphite.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
. After years of inconsistency I want to settle into something where I'm not always juggling a hodgepodge of brands and colors that I got on special discount.

So - you're really shopping for a grip wax brand. Otherwise you're right back in hodgepodge land.

I still have some Maplus grip wax in the box; then it's back to 100% Toko.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
HX77 for winter, mix with HX88 on warmer days (1:1), in spring aggressive snow conditions mix with yellow (1:1). It’s pretty easy. Zoom graphite is an acceptable 10-32f wax. Don’t over think. They all work. I’m currently using Swix because it fits my needs. The Swix waxes have broader temp range than claimed and are best toward the warmer end of the range.

So, I had no idea about the existence of the HX series. It must be newer, or else I just wasn't paying attention. Looked on the site - much easier to grok than all the Zoom / Bullet stuff. I'm going to give it a shot. Thanks.

(I did realize again that part of my confusion about Zoom is that it's really the fine-print subflavors of Zoom that you have to pay attention to. Doesn't help that they often recommend "Zoom" without a qualifier, when there's a whole slew of waxes called "Zoom." Does that mean "plain Zoom," or "any old Zoom," or what? Also doesn't help that they all say "all-temperature wax." Their Zoom packaging needs a lot of design help if user comprehension is the goal. Rant over.)

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tony S HX is the original line, but there’s nothing sexy about hydrocarbon wax, so they don’t promote it. Zoom is a 10-32f wax. Graphite works better in dry snow or abrasive snow. Race Zoom has fluoro. New snow race zoom is zoom + fluoro + graphite. Old snow race zoom is zoom + fluoro + SRB. I might have that backwards, but you can tell looking T them. Bullet is their thermoactive ingredient added to the cold hydrocarbon base (I thinks that is HX07, it’s been a while).

I’m a big fan of Dominator’s anti-stats, and Butter is great in the spring. That said, I think recreational skiers get far too wrapped around the axle with waxes. This stuff is meant to give a couple seconds difference in perfect conditions from the top of the run to the bottom. Find an appropriate hydrocarbon wax in a couple temperatures and be done.

If you are a XC skier, that’s something different and is worth using a low fluoro wax as a starting point.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
That is why I like Purl. It works for me and easy to get at good prices.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think recreational skiers get far too wrapped around the axle with waxes. This stuff is meant to give a couple seconds difference in perfect conditions from the top of the run to the bottom. Find an appropriate hydrocarbon wax in a couple temperatures and be done.

Ain't that the truth.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
But how else can I escape to my shop and sample beverages.
Besides, it is fun to have skis that are faster then the guys you are skiing with.
At Taos there is no shortage of gravity so wax doesn't matter much except on the run back from the Phoenix to the base.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
For mid winter conditions, almost any wax will do. Regardless of brand. So long the period between waxing is relatively short. Tended to err on the cold side.
Normally use whatever I can get cheap. Swix, Toko, Briko & Wintersteiger are the usual suspects. Both CH & LF. No comments and/or complaints from the end users.

Spring time is more critical when it comes to wax. Went from Swix CH10 to LF10 few years ago. Moved to F4 last spring with good results in terms of glide and durability. Have to remember, I'm here to ski not to wax skis. Got a good deal on HF for the next spring. Will worry about it then.

Sponsor

Staff online