• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ever just misplace some gear?

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
saw a pair of really expensive looking nordic poles stuck in a snow bank of the parking area once. I left them where I found them due to karma implications, hope the person got them back.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Well hopefully in Reno and not anywhere between Denver and Reno.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well hopefully in Reno and not anywhere between Denver and Reno.

Sadly, I don't recall putting them in the car to go to Denver....not saying I did or I didn't I just don't remember...I don't recall...I got no memory of anything at all.

@AmyPJ no, not the PINK ones....

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the club - I spend 1/2 my life looking for things.
Usually takes my wife :30 ..... you mean these?
They do that on purpose...they hide it...you look for it...they say...these? It's just to $&^* with your mind. ;)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Much like some of the anedotes above, I left my boots in the parking space on only the second day I owned them. Luckily, (in a way) I left them just behind the car, and felt something weird as I started to back out.

The boots were just fine, but the asphalt scraped a hole in the bottom of my brand new boot bag. :doh:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Last year, pretty awful weather day, racked my skis at the mid mtn cafe and went in for a coffee and cake. After about an hour I caught the chairlift up to the top of mtn cafe (without skis) to meet my daughter who wanted to download due to the weather. After 30 minutes of sitting around she decided she wanted to ski down, so we walked out of the cafe, whence I spent about 20 minutes steaming around the ski racks cursing the lowlife who had stolen my skis. Until of course I realised they were back down at mid mtn. :doh:

How's your boot skiing?

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Don't worry as soon as soon as you buy a new pair the old ones will turn up. Works that way with everything else I Iose.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Sadly, I don't recall putting them in the car to go to Denver....not saying I did or I didn't I just don't remember...I don't recall...I got no memory of anything at all.

@AmyPJ no, not the PINK ones....

P.S. This version is actually much better, but less interesting to watch.

Last edited:

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Never misplaced ski gear.. however, I am notorious for leaving cups of liquid, bike helmets, and bike light on the top of my car, sometimes at the same time. Saved the cups of liquid most of the time, and the bike helmet just rattled around between the ski racks for 20 miles, but the bike lights were never heard from again.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I once misplaced my rental car in a crowded parking lot at Alpine Meadows,.
Wandered around looking for it for 30 mins or so before i realized there was a horn button on the key fob:doh:

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not boots (yet)
In the past few weeks I’ve left my mid layer and shell at home and remembered 20 minutes from the house.
I love the warmers I added to my boots. They require batteries to work and have been more than 20 away from home when I remember.
Under helmet beanies are a problem for me this season. Overheating leads to them getting stuffed in a pocket and while they may or may not be “lost”. I havent seen a couple of them for weeks.
At the end of day I have asked mrsjmills to look back as I pull away to spot skis or poles left behind. It’s working so far.
My hands have been as cold as my feet so with an upgrade to the FTP polar mitt from the baldy, removing the LEKI trigger s strap on the mitts sitting home is the first step to remembering to add them to the other mitt. It felt much more strange than I figured it would not having them on Wednesday.

The highlight of the season-Keys in pocket of ski pants-keys not in pocket of ski pants.
I am slower than mrsjmills in the morning and after breaks in getting layers back on, mitts on wrists, helmet, etc
To keep her from getting frustrated she sits in the front seat as I scramble. I Iimit the pressure by asking her to stay comfortable in car until I’m ready, then to open door, get out, I lock doors, shut door, drop keys in same pocket, zip 63% of the time, put mitts on, and go ski.
We take lunch and I follow the process. End of day we get to the Tahoe and the keys are not in the zipped pocket or in and other pocket in mid or shell.
I check where we put skis on, anywhere close by, am ready to pop the back window but knew I dropped keys in pocket and she got out.
I am scrambling and reach into the pocket that also had debit card and ID which are still there and notice a hole. More running around (in ski boots) until I realize the internal gaiters are tight and maybe I should check.
Keys at cuff of boot, but aren’t dropping out. They are in between an insulated layer and outer layer. 1” hole in pocket became the size of my hand but I had keys.
Mrsjmills asked what I do for a living and why I have 7lbs of keys anywhy and why in pocket skiing. Her sarcasm is always appreciated and I now have the car key, mailbox key, and key fob on a small lanyard.
Keys are moving to a different pocket and I won’t have punctures in my hip with a future crash since I removed 10+ keys.
I will now make sure all pants have a clip in the pocket, as well as them being lined or insulated pants. And not black

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Tricia just asked...Where are my reading glasses? Guess where they were...and they were NOT on the top of her head. Maybe time for a new prescription?

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tricia just asked...Where are my reading glasses? Guess where they were...and they were NOT on the top of her head. Maybe time for a new prescription?
Mrsjmills had similar glasses when she met me and it wasn’t until after the wedding, and new glasses, that she realized I don’t look like Brad Pitt after all

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Best of luck finding your boots.

A month ago suspect I drove off after leaving one of my 3 current use mid price goggles atop the car. Then a week ago left a modest cost 6500 ma-hour lithium storage battery on a wall charger plugged into a motel wall socket that was out of view down behind furniture, the only outlet available at that time. Fortunately the honest maid found it and I'll pick it up when back in SLT next mid week. Live and learn.

Sponsor

Staff online