• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Evaluate my technique - 2nd attempt

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Has anybody bothered to notice that the OP skis in the back seat, balancing through his heels? Not to bring up old PSIA stuff but remember the Circle of Skills we called BERP? The "B" stands for BALANCE but it must be proper balance and fore/aft implementation is Numeral UNO on an instructor's todo list.

Notice I wrote "PROPER" balance and that's an important point. Many, if not most, self taught skiers can survive and make it through their entire "ski life" balancing through their heels. And they will look back with pride at all the great times and experiences the sport provided.

Although @geepers didn't mention it, he did provide a good vid in Josh Foster's "The Feeling under your Foot" above.

This season on this forum, we talked a ton about skiing from the bottom up and yet most of the analysis here focused on the OP's flailing hands and upper body rotary. IMO the hand/wrist "flag waving" movements were inconsequential. The OP's ingrained, fore/aft heel based balance creates movement patterns aimed at pushing the heels out as his means of obtaining short radius re-directions (Rotary). @slowrider did pick up on this. His upper body counter rotations are in support of this heel based thrusting.

As I have stated before, changing this heal based movement pattern begins with moving our fore/aft balance focus just forward of the heel to the arch and creating a new movement pattern that redirects the ski around the center of the foot vs pushing out the heels. Easy to say....

Didn't just pick those vids at random.

So... question for you. You are standing on the snow with the OP. You have about 90 minutes left in the lesson (after lift ride, warm-up and ski assessment). What are you going to do for the rest of the lesson?

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Didn't just pick those vids at random.

So... question for you. You are standing on the snow with the OP. You have about 90 minutes left in the lesson (after lift ride, warm-up and ski assessment). What are you going to do for the rest of the lesson?

Sure looks like you did. Only one out of five hit the mark.

OK, I'll take your bait with the understanding that there are many great teachers out there with many great ways of getting positive outcomes from their clients. One of my teaching beliefs is that if someone is in a hole, they can't get out of it by digging sideways. They need to get out of the hole and start anew. I am also going to assume that the client understands that balance focus has to change and that he/she is willing to put the time in. Those are my caveats.

1. Take the client over to the magic carpet and discuss the concept of how the hinge complex (ankles/knees/hips) combine in flexion to keep the COM directed through the arch. Ankles most important, hips most critical. As simplistic as this approach might seem, remember we are attempting to change the way someone has been statically balancing all their life.... through their heels. And now they have unwittingly applied that technique to a static platform that is unfortunately moving. This is what has to change.

2. At slow speed, practice varying straight wedges and focus on proper flexing so that client feels tension build and ebb in the arch as the wedge widens and narrows. Have the client experience the difference of building of the wedge via heel push vs center arch rotation and the different leg movements that go with it.

3. When ready, implement wedge turns based on balance-through-the-arch lower body movement patterns. If the client can't do this on a magic carpet slope, then their skill level is not sufficient and you need to stay on mild terrain until you see the skill level achieved.

4. Move on to the Bunny chair and integrate the new balance lower body movement patterns into a medium radius turns. Begin using one of the best drills in skiing IMO, the pole drag. Since you are on the Bunny slope, low speeds will allow the client to focus on the lower body while proper hand position and solid contact of the pole tips with the surface will help maintain upper body stability and promote separation. Use repetitive garlands to reinforce the movement patterns.

5. If progress is being made in terms of balance and upper body stability, work on the lower body by introducing the concept of active inside leg shortening and lateral pelvis movement to the inside in order to build progressively higher edge angles. If the client is reliably balancing through the arch, you should not see signs of excessive tip lead. Continue using the pole drag as an aid to accomplish these new additions.

6. Finally, move on to more challenging terrain and see if the client can perform the newly learned movement patterns there. To fortify the separation of upper and lower body, you can use the "Pole tuck" drill. Hold the poles horizontally out in front with palms down and about 3 inches apart. Then, cross the hands and roll the pole up into your armpits. Go ski. The tucking of poles provides upper body tension/stability and gives you a visual cue as to how the upper body is separating from the lower.

Probably won't take 90 minutes.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Sure looks like you did. Only one out of five hit the mark.

OK, I'll take your bait with the understanding that there are many great teachers out there with many great ways of getting positive outcomes from their clients. One of my teaching beliefs is that if someone is in a hole, they can't get out of it by digging sideways. They need to get out of the hole and start anew. I am also going to assume that the client understands that balance focus has to change and that he/she is willing to put the time in. Those are my caveats.

1. Take the client over to the magic carpet and discuss the concept of how the hinge complex (ankles/knees/hips) combine in flexion to keep the COM directed through the arch. Ankles most important, hips most critical. As simplistic as this approach might seem, remember we are attempting to change the way someone has been statically balancing all their life.... through their heels. And now they have unwittingly applied that technique to a static platform that is unfortunately moving. This is what has to change.

2. At slow speed, practice varying straight wedges and focus on proper flexing so that client feels tension build and ebb in the arch as the wedge widens and narrows. Have the client experience the difference of building of the wedge via heel push vs center arch rotation and the different leg movements that go with it.

3. When ready, implement wedge turns based on balance-through-the-arch lower body movement patterns. If the client can't do this on a magic carpet slope, then their skill level is not sufficient and you need to stay on mild terrain until you see the skill level achieved.

4. Move on to the Bunny chair and integrate the new balance lower body movement patterns into a medium radius turns. Begin using one of the best drills in skiing IMO, the pole drag. Since you are on the Bunny slope, low speeds will allow the client to focus on the lower body while proper hand position and solid contact of the pole tips with the surface will help maintain upper body stability and promote separation. Use repetitive garlands to reinforce the movement patterns.

5. If progress is being made in terms of balance and upper body stability, work on the lower body by introducing the concept of active inside leg shortening and lateral pelvis movement to the inside in order to build progressively higher edge angles. If the client is reliably balancing through the arch, you should not see signs of excessive tip lead. Continue using the pole drag as an aid to accomplish these new additions.

6. Finally, move on to more challenging terrain and see if the client can perform the newly learned movement patterns there. To fortify the separation of upper and lower body, you can use the "Pole tuck" drill. Hold the poles horizontally out in front with palms down and about 3 inches apart. Then, cross the hands and roll the pole up into your armpits. Go ski. The tucking of poles provides upper body tension/stability and gives you a visual cue as to how the upper body is separating from the lower.

Probably won't take 90 minutes.

Good lesson outline.:thumb:

Probably the one thing that stands out (from what the CSIA folk taught me) is to give the student a chance to use a new movement 1st before breaking it down - sometimes they will just start doing it immediately. Then again, maybe the break-down approach is better at locking in fundamental changes.

Random...:) Well, not quite. 1st vid was to get OP thinking quiet upper body, ski from lower body. The next vids were on how to do that. Both of the last two are to do with balance point and steering from the center - try making that bow tie by heel pushing.

One issue with posting vids - often it's hard to find exactly the right vid/s! A picture is worth 1,000 words so a vid conveys a lot of words.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
Good lesson outline.:thumb:

Probably the one thing that stands out (from what the CSIA folk taught me) is to give the student a chance to use a new movement 1st before breaking it down - sometimes they will just start doing it immediately. Then again, maybe the break-down approach is better at locking in fundamental changes.

Random...:) Well, not quite. 1st vid was to get OP thinking quiet upper body, ski from lower body. The next vids were on how to do that. Both of the last two are to do with balance point and steering from the center - try making that bow tie by heel pushing.

One issue with posting vids - often it's hard to find exactly the right vid/s! A picture is worth 1,000 words so a vid conveys a lot of words.

Thanks!

I agree that if you show something and the student does it, STOP TEACHING!

Didn't mean to be negative on the choice of Josh Vids. Where I was coming from is that in the first 4, what Josh is advocating is built on already having proper fore/aft balance which the op does not have. That was my poorly stated point. But as I said, the last vid nailed it!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Has anybody bothered to notice that the OP skis in the back seat, balancing through his heels? Not to bring up old PSIA stuff but remember the Circle of Skills we called BERP? The "B" stands for BALANCE but it must be proper balance and fore/aft implementation is Numeral UNO on an instructor's todo list.

Notice I wrote "PROPER" balance and that's an important point. Many, if not most, self taught skiers can survive and make it through their entire "ski life" balancing through their heels. And they will look back with pride at all the great times and experiences the sport provided.

Although @geepers didn't mention it, he did provide a good vid in Josh Foster's "The Feeling under your Foot" above.

This season on this forum, we talked a ton about skiing from the bottom up and yet most of the analysis here focused on the OP's flailing hands and upper body rotary. IMO the hand/wrist "flag waving" movements were inconsequential. The OP's ingrained, fore/aft heel based balance creates movement patterns aimed at pushing the heels out as his means of obtaining short radius re-directions (Rotary). @slowrider did pick up on this. His upper body counter rotations are in support of this heel based thrusting.

As I have stated before, changing this heal based movement pattern begins with moving our fore/aft balance focus just forward of the heel to the arch and creating a new movement pattern that redirects the ski around the center of the foot vs pushing out the heels. Easy to say....

Thank you. Wondered why it took so long for no one to mention that the OP is skiing with the upper body and not starting with the feet. Everyone got distracted by the arms. They're a sympton, not a cause.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Wondered why it took so long for no one to mention that the OP is skiing with the upper body and not starting with the feet. Everyone got distracted by the arms. They're a sympton, not a cause.

See below. One of the earliest replies.

You ski well. You use your upper body a lot and it works. You should try however another approach and see how it works for you. Get all the action from the legs. Instead of the up move and pole plants that energize your pressure management, have the legs and hip flexors create all of that and presto/chango the upper body will quiet down.

Don't stop doing this, or stop doing that. You can't tell a noisy kid to "be quiet!" You gotta give them something else to do that is so cool they shut up.

Using your legs will quiet the upper body.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
See below. One of the earliest replies.

"You use your upper body a lot and it works."

... but it won't (and doesn't) when the OP is more pressed by conditions and terrain. You mentioned legs which is great, but we need to start from the feet first. After that, then we get to what you mentioned. Good stuff.

:beercheer:

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Agree. The reason I said that was to not start out with "don't use your upper body" as my point is to add, not subtract things.
So I started with "yeah, that works" - but.........

In the future I'll try to say "legs and feet"

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier

If you want to be patted on the head, consider yourself patted.;)

But your analysis, as was Steve's, was flawed because you failed to see that OP was balancing through the heels of his feet. That was the fundamental issue.
You did not analyze from the bottom up. I can only assume his active upper body caught your eye first. But make no mistake, It is the OP's redirection of his skis by pushing out his heels, while balancing over same, that gives rise to what happens upstairs. So telling him he needs to quiet his upper body down and let the legs do the work does not address the root of the problem which is learning to center balance.

Much of what you so eloquently wrote to him is un-executable because of the ingrained way he implements balance. There is a reason that the BERP diagram was design with BALANCE being central to everything.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
If you want to be patted on the head, consider yourself patted.;)

But your analysis, as was Steve's, was flawed because you failed to see that OP was balancing through the heels of his feet. That was the fundamental issue.
You did not analyze from the bottom up. I can only assume his active upper body caught your eye first. But make no mistake, It is the OP's redirection of his skis by pushing out his heels, while balancing over same, that gives rise to what happens upstairs. So telling him he needs to quiet his upper body down and let the legs do the work does not address the root of the problem which is learning to center balance.

Much of what you so eloquently wrote to him is un-executable because of the ingrained way he implements balance. There is a reason that the BERP diagram was design with BALANCE being central to everything.

Clearly you are the superior person for MA.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
"Flawed" ? Possibly incomplete, but flawed? "un-executable" ?

Carry on.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Yes. If the OP wants to change his skiing, there's some very basic new coding that has to be done.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
There is good information in many of the posts.

Teaching skiing on an internet forum is challenging.

Put yourself in the ski boots of the OP. We need to give him more “how” instead of “what”.
We can tell him to turn his legs, keep his upper body quiet or whatever but those words do not tell him how to do any of that. Working with an instructor with real time feedback to address stance and balance so that he can be in a position to turn his legs is the first step.

Last edited:

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We need to give him more “how” instead of “what”.

Amen. Not only on the internet but in real life instruction too. Tell the pupil what specific movements to make, when, and how to do so. Abstract suggestions, ski in better balance, control your edges, make smoother movements, quiet upper body, etc., all of which I’ve heard out of the mouths of instructors, are useless absent specific advice on how to achieve them.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not a lot of teaching experience but I can't imagine (as a student) that having my skiing torn to pieces and told a tonne of work will be required to fix is going to lead to a great student-instructor relationship. (Thankfully no-one has yet done that to me although I'm pretty sure they would have plenty of justification.)

I can't point to any specific part of the CSIA instructor's syllabus that says "Don't tell them their skiing sux" however it is certainly implied in things like the learning contract, in guest services educational module and in the way course conveners conduct themselves. Perhaps it's in the same class of unstated rules such as "Don't pick fights" and "Don't steal".

The approach is more like - it took the whole of the student's skiing career to reach this point, warts and all, so let's see what we can add to the student's skiing within the confines of the situation. (Time frame, conditions, etc.) Taking something away tends to be difficult so the best thing is to add some other focus/cue that will change/replace it.

Amen. Not only on the internet but in real life instruction too. Tell the pupil what specific movements to make, when, and how to do so. Abstract suggestions, ski in better balance, control your edges, make smoother movements, quiet upper body, etc., all of which I’ve heard out of the mouths of instructors, are useless absent specific advice on how to achieve them.

Yep. To pass CSIA L3 Teach this absolutely needs to be done. Tell them what you want them to do and why. Show them statically the specific positions/movements required. Get them to statically replicate those positions/movements, adjusting them where necessary. Prime them for the cue they should feel. Do a kick-ass demo. Observe the students doing it, ask them about the cue and provide relevant feedback. Repeat until they get it right or some change/variation is required.

Interaction on the internet means much of that cannot be be as tailored as 1-2-1 on snow. Words can only go so far in describing what's wanted and it's not easy to find just the right demo vid.

There is a reason that the BERP diagram was design with BALANCE being central to everything.

For those (like me) not up to speed on PSIA...
Balance / Edging / Rotary / Pressure control

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"Don't tell them their skiing sux"
I'm not so sure... depends on the student and the context. Probably not good in a 2 hour lesson, but it may be OK in a multi-day camp. Especially if you don't blame them. (When I was told that, it was framed by "the way good skiers start a turn has changed a lot in recent years." Of course, that change not so recent now.)

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'm not so sure... depends on the student and the context. Probably not good in a 2 hour lesson, but it may be OK in a multi-day camp. Especially if you don't blame them. (When I was told that, it was framed by "the way good skiers start a turn has changed a lot in recent years." Of course, that change not so recent now.)

Could be student dependent. Not sure "sux" is a great plan for some-one you met 10 minutes ago. There's always time to adjust if it becomes apparent they want a 'direct' approach.

At least one ski school/movement seems to market themselves on the flagellation approach. Nothing wrong with that if it's up front and people know what they are going into.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
@geepers you confirm my approach which was not to be critical. I said "You ski well. You use your upper body a lot and it works. You should try however another approach and see how it works for you."

Maybe what I suggested wasn't perfect. Legs, not feet - but in spite of what @JESinstr said, to just say "get off your heels - FIRST" is useless. Everyone knows this. Learning to use your lower body to control your movements creates body positions that pressure the outside ski and the middle/front of the foot.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be student dependent. Not sure "sux" is a great plan for some-one you met 10 minutes ago. There's always time to adjust if it becomes apparent they want a 'direct' approach.

At least one ski school/movement seems to market themselves on the flagellation approach. Nothing wrong with that if it's up front and people know what they are going into.

Many people come to ski school because they realize they have limitations. They know that they do ok on groomers but struggle in the bumps or whatever. They tell you! You can ask questions about what they want to do and you can show them how their current movement patterns may be hindering their ability to ski trees etc.

If you give them specific guidance, they have a better chance of actually doing it and they will see for themselves whether it works or not.

Sponsor

Staff online