• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Timr71

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi all,

This isn't really a timely conditions report, but we skied Solden for 3 days last month. We were there right before Christmas, December 21st - 23rd. Conditions were really pretty good. Pretty much all of the terrain was open and we were able to make some runs off piste. There were a few places that I didn't want to get into due to thin cover and exposed rocks.

It was my first time skiing in Europe and it was a great experience. My kids loved it. It was a nice part of our larger Christmas trip. I would definitely go back. We didn't make it to Hopegurgle (sp?) or Obergurgle (sp?) even though our passes were good there too.

26169132_10214840841525477_4070367707233525810_n.jpg

26165605_10214840842285496_2437409859258047066_n.jpg

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Very heavy snow, Argentiere/vallorcine are faring better as far as heavy (I mean high water content) snow goes , although still some closures.

Now,
even if it looks like lot of snow is falling in the Alps - I can tell you that rain/snow line is moving up and down like crazy. I do not know what that means for snow pack but I can hear a lot of blasting and see more than normal ski patrol helicopters running around.

From some conversations with locals it looks like the weather this year is out of whack - lots of moisture, temperatures going up and down and lots of snow but very heavy.

Potholes on local roads are the worst this year and that usually means freeze/thaw cycle.

Higher up it is good. But getting higher up means no wind and wind is really bad.

Bottom line - heavy snow, go high, become weather expert.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Heavy clouds but still able to spot Aiguile du Midi

hCd1W0dBRH+m%74cXBoEFg.jpg hCd1W0dBRH+m%74cXBoEFg.jpg

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Back in Chicago ...

Bottom line is ...

Western Alps are having historical snowfalls. It could be good ...
k5+RAcg+Th2I7FWyR7kJNw.jpg

or bad ...

30f4JrQkQz22AzUGM4dC+g.jpg

Either way, Euro is strong this year which means more "american pesos" - still, overall it is much cheaper than skiing in the US.

With this weather pattern developing in the Alps - I would say February and March skiing in Europe (Western Alps - Aosta, Tarantaise Valley, Zermatt, Verbier, MonteRosa, Arlberg) is not to be missed.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Spring today in the dolomites. Anything sun facing was corning by 1100.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Yes, it is crazy how short geographical distance in the Alps can actually mean different weather/snow conditions.

Dolomites benefit from so called "Genoa Low" weather pattern. Atlantic storms favor Western Alps.

And then there is wind phenomenon that affects Northwestern Alps (Foehn effect).

But, as of now and for a foreseeable future (3 weeks or so) Western Alps are having major great epic conditions !!!

Sorry for having dismal conditions in Dolomites, good thing is that skiing and scenery is still good if not epic.

Jacob

Out on the slopes
Skier
FYI, the Arlberg area would be the eastern Alps. I think they've been having more reasonable amounts of snow, rather than the epic dumps that bury everything and raise the avalanche danger to 11.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Hey all -

What are some strongly-reliable destinations in early April? I was eyeing a trip to Mount Bachelor, Oregon for the first week of April with my school-age sons (their Easter Break) but air fares (out of Philly) are nigh-on transatlantic prices (which has morphed into this question).

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Correct. Arlberg is considered Eastern Alps.

It will be good white water rafting summer season once all this snow starts to melt.

TS
Goran M.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
I think if temperatures stay close to average - there will be some great skiing in April in many of the higher ski resorts.

Primarily Tignes/Val D'Isere, Breuil, anything above 2000m in regions that received massive snowfalls this season ... so far - it might be more to come ...

There are some disadvantages of skiing in Europe/The Alps, just to be clear.

Visibility is much bigger issue considering that most of the skiing is done above the tree line. And "tree line" is lower in the Alps than in continental US.

Lift system might be a "bit too much" for somebody not accustomed to have so many different types of uphill options. Example, some of the best skiing is reached with some either super slow lifts or "button lifts". In certain places anyway.

It takes 2 days before you get to ski. Time zone difference. You leave on Monday, arrive Zurich (or what not) on Tuesday, transfer to resort and your first day of skiing is Wednesday.

On the way back, most of the flights back to the US are in the morning which in turn means no skiing day before you flight.

Having said that, i still find skiing in Europe cheaper and a bigger bang for the buck.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Sorry for having dismal conditions in Dolomites, good thing is that skiing and scenery is still good if not epic.

Nothing dismal about it - if you can't have gen u ine powdah corn is the next best thing and it even makes groomers fun.

DanishRider

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nothing dismal about it - if you can't have gen u ine powdah corn is the next best thing and it even makes groomers fun.
Well - France (western) is doing good :) My 15 year old first born enjoying life :)

Attachments

• DC70140A-4929-4921-8A7E-BCD035315BF2.jpeg
    DC70140A-4929-4921-8A7E-BCD035315BF2.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 10
  • F8BE5D6D-B5EC-425E-91F8-4F1927666EFE.jpeg
    F8BE5D6D-B5EC-425E-91F8-4F1927666EFE.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 9

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any thoughts, reliable European ski destinations in early April?

In France, the usual: Espace Killy -- Val d'Isere/Tignes. Val Thorens at 2300 m starts where most ski stations end. We have friends who go to Les Arcs every year and love it.

We are having fantastic conditions so far, but that's looking out pretty far so best to go high as possible for April. We could get skunked for the next two months.

Have a look at this: https://www.onthesnow.co.uk/news/a/581755/the-highest-ski-resorts-in-europe

Of that list I wouldn't recommend Avoriaz and cant' speak to the Austrian areas.

You'll have a great time in April. But do focus on the larger and higher resorts to avoid disappointment.

kitchener

Still At Large
Skier
Thanks for the feedback thus far!

How tough a go would it be not speaking a word of French? (Val Thorens etc)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January