International (Europe/Japan/NZ/Au) Europe: Who, When, Where in 2018/2019?

Discussion in 'General Resort Discussion' started by Jacob, Aug 29, 2018.

1. James

James Making fresh tracks Instructor

Wow, we had a video of that type of swinging last year.

2. Goran M.

Goran M. Putting on skis Skier

Chamonix will have nice "refresh" this weekend.

3. Thread Starter
    TS
    Jacob

Jacob CerebralVortex Skier

Just to follow up on what I said about unmarked hazards off piste, I was on an easily accessible bit of off-piste terrain today, helping a lady find a ski that she managed to bury pretty deep. In the 5 minutes it took to find it, 2 people skied into 2 different bands of rocks fast enough to roll a couple of times after crashing.

The rocks were easily visible from the only lift feeding into the terrain, so there was really no excuse for either skier not to scope out the terrain and make a mental note of where the rocks were.

Luckily, neither one looked hurt.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  4. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte Putting on skis Skier

St Anton is looking like it might get over a metre, and maybe close to 2m, over the next 48 hours. If it eventuates, along with the forecast 80 - 90 km/hr winds, then expect extensive lift closures.

At the moment, St Anton is looking picture-perfect...

5. Ulmerhutte

Ulmerhutte Putting on skis Skier

Heavy snow falls during the night, which continued into the day in the Arlberg. Maybe 30 - 50cm over the last 24 hours. Snow still coming now, ie 4:30pm. I suspect most of the mountain will be closed tomorrow, with late starts for the remaining lifts.

Roads into Stuben, Lech, and Zürs will be closed this evening. I believe that Warth and Schröcken might also be cut off, but I don’t have official info.

Four people lost their lives, and put the lives of many rescue personnel at risk, by going into a closed area in Lech and getting caught
    in an avalanche on Saturday.

6. Goran M.

Goran M. Putting on skis Skier

Very cold but dry in Val D'Isere, no significant snowfall in a while but still plenty of snow to allow for great fun. I brought wrong skis with me (104mm) and ended up with "demoing" different skis every day (still had a great day with my skis on Thursday playing in the fields off of Signal drag lift with some 20cm of fresh snow that fell overnight).

Tignes has better snow but bigger crowds at the "wrong" places.

Today it was Stockli Laser AX (no like, seems too soft and mounted way back) and tomorrow we go with the full on big boy carver Volkl RaceTiger GS 18.
    This tells you about the conditions ... Situation might change Wednesday with some snow in the forecast. With the base so deep, every 20cm would fill like a dump.

Moving on to the other side of the ridge on Friday - La Thuile and Aosta. It might be 20kms or so "as the crow flies" but it is a long day trip around the Mont Blanc range. SIXT rental car in Geneva provided us with AN AMAZING VEHICLE

BTW, the cost of "demoing" skis came out to be $25/day, ski down to the shop, pick up something new, go up again with the new ski .